Grain-free soft training treats - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Grain-free soft training treats
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
spiffylike
Kat

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Grain-free soft training treats

Hi all,

I'm looking into getting some different training treats for my pup as I've read that soft treats work better as instant positive reinforcement because they are quicker to eat.

I usually give Freddie small bits of dried beef liver. I'm trying to keep him on a grain-free diet (he eats raw), but I've been looking into soft treats and there don't seem to be many (or any) that are grain-free. I'm also keeping him away from dairy.

Any leads?

Thanks,

-Kat
Old 12-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Ziwi Peaks makes lamb jerky that is 100% lamb, and quite soft. It is easy to tear into tiny bits.

That said, the easiest best source of soft training treats is your refrigerator. Lean beef or pork, chicken, ham, cheese... Just dice up whatever you have on hand and use that.

Lots of people use string cheese because it is easy to tear into little pieces as you use it, and is conveniently packaged. I buy a pork loin every few weeks, roast that, we have a meal off it, then I dice the rest and freeze the pieces in snack-sized bags. You can do this with any meat that you roast.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
spiffylike
Kat

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I am a vegetarian so there is no meat in my house other than what I buy for Freddie's food

Thanks for the tip on Ziwi Peaks!
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Both Blue Buffalo and Wellness as well as Fromm's make great grain free, high protein treats that Isabella loves. There's usually a nice selection on Amazon if your local pet store doesn't stock them

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
cheap cuts of liver/pork/beer or even chicken breast. cook in on the BBQ or in the oven on a cookie sheet. Slice it up in tiny pieces and store it in the freezer. It's cheaper than commercial treats and healthier. I cook the liver on the BBQ so the smell doens't come in my house; if you're a vegetarian you might like that.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #6
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
At what age is it ok to give home cooked meats? Raider's 12 weeks.

Like Krandall said, string cheese is a favorite . . .just remember to use it in small quantities as cheese can be very binding

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #7
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
you can give home cooked at any age, but if you're doing it with other dog food ,commercial, you should keep it to no more than fifteen percent of their daily calories. Best option is 100 per cent home cooked, formulated on a specifically designed diet.

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
mmphelps
Tino's person

Submit Photo: 2
I poach chicken breast (bring to boil then reduce to simmer) for 15/20/25 mins for sm/med/lg cuts, then cut into raisin-size pieces. I measure a handful per ziplock bag and freeze whatever I'm not using. A large chicken breast can last a couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
we just finished up adavanced obedience and went through a fair amount of "treats" everyone was very intrigued when I pulled out my bag of treats ... lol Tillie has a ton of food allergies. Typically I give her the ziwi peak lamb jerkey, chopped red bell pepper (her FAVORITE), string or cheddar cheese, ground beef (super messy though), I also have some dehydrated salmon I use occasionally. although she would do ANYTHING for the 'pupperoni' the trainer uses ... lol
Old 12-08-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffylike View Post
I am a vegetarian so there is no meat in my house other than what I buy for Freddie's food

Thanks for the tip on Ziwi Peaks!
No a problem. Buy thick-sliced deli meat (or butt ends). Or simply buy a few boneless pork loin chops, stew beef or chicken breast and cook it for him.

All are cheaper and better for him than commercial treats, and if you are already feeding raw, surely you don't have a problem handling meat for him...

And cheese... except for vegans, most of the vegetarians I know are not adverse to cheese. (also better for him than most commercial treats)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
training, treats