Tipping? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Tipping?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
jabojenny
Jen, Timmy and Mae

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Tipping?

I'm taking Timmy in for his final grooming of the year. I normally give holiday (monetary gifts) to the usual list of people I do business with and was wondering how to handle Timmy's groomer. When I do give tips I usually hand it to the person and wish them a happy holiday as well as thanking them for the services they have provided me over the course of the year. Timmy's groomer set up is weird though. I drop him off, to whom I'm assuming is the owner, and we go over any special instructions etc.. then I hand him off to an associate who takes him to the back to get groomed. I noticed that she has pictures of her groomers on a board around the front desk so I know there are several there. On occasion when I've picked him up and had a question she generally goes back and gets an answer for me from the person who worked on him. I've never tipped each time Timmy has been groomed, maybe I should have? Anyway back to my point, if I do give a monetary holiday gift do I hand it to the owner whom I usually deal with? I know when I get my hair done the etiquette is not to tip the owner, if they cut your hair, but I always tip the girl who washes or colors it. I thought I'd throw this one out to you all since I have no clue in this area. I could always have my daughter bake up some of her yummy chocolate chip cookies and leave a tin, is that enough?

jabojenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I used to work in the cooking industry. and so I am a good tipper. I generally tip starting at 20% whatever I paid. at my groomer's they have tip jars. if you want them to know that it came from you, you can put it in a small envelope and write something on it. You can give them cookies, sure. it's what you are comfortable with.

anyone I go to repeatedly, like the groomer, or my hair stylist, I type cash 20% every time. my guy only goes in 3 times a yr though, if that.

I have given big boxes of candy, it's a fresh CA only company, See's candies. I didn't know it was CA only, till I went to school in NY and couldn't find any, ha!

hope that helps.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
lol, yup, See's is only West coast.... awesome.ness.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
angiern2004

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
I used to work in the cooking industry. and so I am a good tipper. I generally tip starting at 20% whatever I paid. at my groomer's they have tip jars. if you want them to know that it came from you, you can put it in a small envelope and write something on it. You can give them cookies, sure. it's what you are comfortable with.

anyone I go to repeatedly, like the groomer, or my hair stylist, I type cash 20% every time. my guy only goes in 3 times a yr though, if that.

I have given big boxes of candy, it's a fresh CA only company, See's candies. I didn't know it was CA only, till I went to school in NY and couldn't find any, ha!

hope that helps.

Why tip cash?

Trooper is a Moptop boy! If only I could think up a registered name...
angiern2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
Tyler is groomed every six weeks by the owner of the salon and I do tip her each time. Christmas gifts have varied over the years. This year I got her a gift card to a local grocery store which recently opened in the area as we were both shopping there one day and she mentioned that she really likes it. It isn't the usual or glamorous gift, but everyone has to eat and I'm running out of ideas. At least I know she'll use it.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
littlebuddy

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Djanogs groomer is the sole owner of her company. I never tip her during the year but at christmas time her tip is the cost of one grooming (which is more then what I pay when I go to the salon!)
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I tip 20% as I go so at Christmas, order several tins of Williams Sonoma Peppermint Bark (I love this stuff) and give it to those in the service industry I do business with through out the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
whimsy
Evelyn

Photo Submissions 18 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
lol, yup, See's is only West coast.... awesome.ness.
We got lucky!!I live in Schaumburg..suburb of Chicago and we can buy See's at our big Woodfield Mall! It's yummy!

"This particular See’s Candies in Schaumburg is a shop on wheels! We feature our timeless favorite candies such as boxed chocolates, peanut brittle, nuts and chews, truffles, lollypops, and sugar free candies. Come on into your Schaumburg See’s Candies chocolate shop today! See’s Candies has been around for 90+ years- and once you taste our candies and chocolates, you’ll know why."
Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
Lizzie'sMom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy View Post
We got lucky!!I live in Schaumburg..suburb of Chicago and we can buy See's at our big Woodfield Mall! It's yummy!

"This particular See’s Candies in Schaumburg is a shop on wheels! We feature our timeless favorite candies such as boxed chocolates, peanut brittle, nuts and chews, truffles, lollypops, and sugar free candies. Come on into your Schaumburg See’s Candies chocolate shop today! See’s Candies has been around for 90+ years- and once you taste our candies and chocolates, you’ll know why."
We get a See's kiosk in our mall every year for Christmas. Love getting the samples!!! Woodfield Mall was the first place I was introduced to See's. Their stores have such a nostalgic look to them.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Anna6

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post

hope that helps.
East coast is Ethel's chocolate. Both are yummy.
Anna6 is offline   Reply With Quote