Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #41
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siewhwee View Post
So has anyone installed the iOS 6.0.1 in their iPad 2 and iPhone 4S? Am hesitating to do it because am hearing a lot of negative comments about it. What happens II you do not install it?
Not me!!! I use Maps ALL the time, and until they fix Maps in the new IOS, I won't be upgrading. It means I can't DL some newer apps, but I'm OK with that trade-off for now.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #42
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
I have it on my 4S and 3rd Gen iPad. If you already have 6.0 then 6.0.1 just fixes some bugs. If you're still using iOS 5 and you rely heavily on the maps app . . .you might want to put off upgrading for a bit.

As far as what will happen if you don't install it . . .currently, nothing. New apps are usually optimized to work on the current and last versions of iOS. If you wait until iOS7 release, you should be ok, much after becomes dicey.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App
Since, from what I've read, heads rolled over the Maps debacle, hopefully they'll have it fixed before too long. If not, they might see a REAL exodus toward the android OS machines... something I'm SURE they want to avoid!

Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #43
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by siewhwee View Post
Thanks. Will wait a bit , and see. Was reading that many people lost wi-fi capabilities when they installed it.
Oh, I didn't hear that... Only about the Maps. I had a problem with my iPad after the new OS came out, and they had to replace my iPad. I made them hunt through the stack for an older one that still came with the old OS!

The problem with mine was not the wi-fi... that seemed fine. But it would drop the cell signal on a regular basis, come up saying "no sym card", and once it did there was no way to convince it that it was a weak signal and that there WAS a perfectly good sym card installed. They were really good about it though... I walked in with it, they tested a couple of things (including the sym card) and handed me a brand new, in the box iPad.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #44
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Narci and/or ClaireVoyant, I love my Apple laptop, and when I need a new one, I'll go Apple, again. How long do your laptops last? Mine is about 5 years old and starting to get slow responses. I'm wondering if it is getting close to time for a a new one.
While apple products use to be good....the new products,even the laptops, are becoming less and less user controllable.

The newer laptops won't allow customers to even add ram as they have soldered in the ram chips right onto the board.

Also, I'm not a fan of a laptop that only uses a SSD drive. Sure it's fast but if it dies, your out of luck trying to recover the data.

If you like the OS, you can always try a hackintosh. That's installing apples os on a pc or pc laptop.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #45
siewhwee

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Not me!!! I use Maps ALL the time, and until they fix Maps in the new IOS, I won't be upgrading. It means I can't DL some newer apps, but I'm OK with that trade-off for now.
So do I. I use the google maps quite a bit, and would rather hang on to it, if Apple is still having problems with it. While my husband and I were in LA in March, my iPhone google maps brought us to the Getty museum, after our brand new Garmin GPS brought us to the back door of it, which was locked! So will wait a bit, until thy fix the maps on the new iOS. My wifi work so far on my existing system, so I'm okay with that too.
Like you, I get a little frustrated with Siri. It has problems understanding my accent. I'm from Singapore, and I speak adultered English (Singlish).
siewhwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #46
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Google is supposidly preepping google maps app for iOS 6 to be downloaded via iTunes.

Whther apple will allow google maps to be downloaded via iTunes is another story.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #47
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Google is supposidly preepping google maps app for iOS 6 to be downloaded via iTunes.

Whther apple will allow google maps to be downloaded via iTunes is another story.
If they don't, after screwing up Maps so badly, they are really stupid. They do lots of things really well. Let the Google do what IT does well!

Old 12-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #48
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
If they don't, after screwing up Maps so badly, they are really stupid. They do lots of things really well. Let the Google do what IT does well!
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...ia-glitch.html

Apple Maps glitch may be 'life threatening'
Australian police warn of motorists stranded due to latest iPhone operating system
CBC News
Posted: Dec 10, 2012 10:20 AM ET

Errors in Apple's mapping application on the iPhone are "potentially life threatening," Australian police warn after several motorists were led off-track, and even stranded for 24 hours without food or water.

Police in Mildura, Victoria, on Monday urged motorists to "be careful" as officers have been receiving calls from "distressed" motorists who have become stranded in Murray-Sunset National Park after following inaccurate directions due to problems with the maps application in the new operating system introduced with the launch of the iPhone 5.

"Police are extremely concerned as there is no water supply within the park and temperatures can reach as high as 46 degrees Celsius, making this a potentially life-threatening issue," Mildura police said in a statement.

Apple's Maps application, on the new iOS 6 operating system, has already been the target of criticism, with reviewers pointing out missed locations, including William Shakespeare's birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon.

Apple CEO Tim Cook in September said the company was "extremely sorry" for the frustration its Maps application has caused, and is working to make it better.

Still, Mildura police's tests on Apple Maps on iOS 6 showed it listed the location of Mildura in the centre of the 633,000-hectare park, roughly 70 kilometres away from the city, it said.

As a result, some of the drivers using the mapping application were left stranded for up to 24 hours without food or water, and had to walk "long distance through dangerous terrain to get phone reception," the police statement said.

They recommended that anyone travelling within Victoria choose other navigation tools.

"Police have contacted Apple in relation to the issue and hope the matter is rectified promptly to ensure the safety of motorists," Mildura police said.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM   #49
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

While I give iOS a 10 on usability, i give iTunes a 0.

Most people will grab an iOS device without the though of iTunes.

iTunes is the bane of my existance.

Some problems I have (probably common to a lot of people).

Pictures. You can take pictures on the iOS device and delete them but if you upload pictures via iTunes, the only way to delete them is to 'un-sync' them via iTunes. You cannot delete them on the device itself.

Video. I have spent a better part of the week converting, with at least a dozen programs, a simple video to play on the iPad. Every time I try to upload it via iTunes, it keeps telling me the iPad cannot play it. Very annoying and I never did end up getting any video on the iPad.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #50
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Problem is, Apple broke its ties with google and that's why the maps is broken. Short of renewing their relationship . . .something I just don't see happening, this isn't going away anytime soon.

I've switched to Navigon for mapping needs. It's an awesome app . . .but doesn't integrate with Siri, so must be manually set up for each trip.

We have no Apple Store in our city . . .only a Best Buy with an App,e Tech and sales section. But no longer can you search Apple's Maps app for Best Buy because according to the app . . .Best Buy doesn't exist.

And while my city is small enough I can generally get around fine without it, I used the Maps App most frequently for business phone numbers . . .but now that its broken, isn't even useful for that

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote