e-reader? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Family and Friends > Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop A good place for chit-chat

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
dodrop82

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
Estelle, give me some Ipad input. I told my Dad to get one for my Mom for Christmas as she's been lusting after them for months. He's agreed and put me on thy mission to hook him up? I've done alittle research and don't know if I should go with the 2, 3, 4??? 16, 32, 64 GB? I don't want to underbuy her needs, but I don't want to get rediculous with Dad's money either?!?! She spends oodles of time on her desktop...she's all about her computer!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #22
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
My opinion...

If your using a tablet solely for reading...stick with a dedicated eReader (Black and white, no colors). It's easier on the eyes, the battery will last soooo much longer and the weight will be manageable when holding it to read and oh, they are cheaper. (I wouldn't spend more then $100 on an eReader).

The dedicated eReaders I'm talking about are strictly used for reading. No web browser, no apps to play angry birds etc. Heck you don't even need wifi or a keyboard.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #23
sashamom
Linda - Sasha's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
ya, it would be nice to get the ipad or the ipad mini, but it is just not in the budget!
I am pretty sold on the Kindle Paperwhite at this point. Although my son (almost 11 yrs old) can NOT wrap his mind around WHY I would want something that is black and white (GASP!) and is "old" ... I was like, uhhhh, actually it IS very new technology AND it just came out LAST month... bwhahahhaa. ya. he sees it as something from the "last Millenium"! He can't figure out why I don't want at LEAST the Kindle Fire!!
I guess I am old. lol I just want it for the BOOKS. I was one of those children who devoured books. Now that my children are older, I have begun reading again and really, REALLY want this 'toy' to be able to access library books at my finger tips and lay in bed or in my recliner and read. I can't wait!!!! If my husband doesn't get it for my for Christmas, I am TOTALLY going out and getting one the following day.
I have tne Kindle in fact it is my second Kindle. In re the books from the library, you will first have to go online and then transfer to your Kindle. For that reason alone I would consider the Kindle fire. My friend has one and she really enjoys reading on it. I am waiting for a Microsoft Surface. Need to save the pennies. LOL
Old 12-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Hi all.

I use my iPad for reading. Originally I was going to get the Kindle Paperwhite however it hasn't been announced for release in Australia (I'm not sure what's happened since.) I use Google Play and purchase their books as does a gf so we can read each others books. Great system. The pricing of google books is very comparative to iTunes. I found amazon books seemed to be more expensive. Like when I was looking to get the hunger games i got the set for about $11 where on amazon it was much more. That's just my personal experience. I can confirm that it gets a bit annoying reading on the iPad and so am thinking about getting an ereader although it feels a little wasteful I know I would still have uses for my iPad as I go it great for mags (Coles in australia have a fantastic mag that's free with load of meal ideas).

Just a note between my husband and I. We each have an iPhone, each an iPad, each a laptop and a desktop computer. It's very OTT! Hubby does not require any of them for work lol.

On the subject of specific ereaders anyone aware of one for google books?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
On the subject of specific ereaders anyone aware of one for google books?Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
List of supported readers.

http://support.google.com/googleplay...&answer=179849
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
ya, I am fairly certain Santa's bringing me the Kindle Paperwhite...
Old 12-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Tia

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
thanks for that, having a look now
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM   #28
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
thanks for that, having a look now
Ohh just an FYI in case you skipped it...

"Books on Google Play can also be read with any dedicated eBook reader that supports the Adobe eBook platform"

Here's the list of Adobe eBook supported devices.

http://blogs.adobe.com/digitalpublis...ported-devices

I believe as long as the eReader can read .mobi, epub and pdf, you should be able to read almost everything out there.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #29
Carefulove

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Kindle, DH got it for me about 2 years ago and I absolutely love it. At first I didn't use it much since I was still attached to my paperbacks, but more and more new authors are self publishing these days and others publish their e-books before their paperbacks, so is easier to get e-books these days.
Both of my kids have Ipads so I have been able to read in both, however. I prefer the Kindle.
With an Ipad, you have the backlight of the screen (just like in a computer), with the Kindle, you need artificial light which is recommended for reading and much better for your eyes.
I also did a price search before getting my kindle and Kindle books were cheaper than Nook books (back then/2 yrs ago).

Peluito's King Bumi (Bumi)

Across the Rainbow Bridge - Starborn Mi Pequeño Tesoro (Toby) - Miss you my sweet boy.
Carefulove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:16 PM   #30
Tia

If anyone is interested in comparing prices with some different stores I found this really useful article whilst doing some research

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_1952736.html

I had myself decided to get the Kindle Paperwhite with 3G only to process thr order through Amazon and discover they aren't deliverying to Australia such a shame!! A friend of mine bought one from the US but used an forwarding PO box from the US so I might do a bit of research to see what these are like.