Freckles? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Freckles?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
spiffylike
Kat

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Freckles?

Hi all,

I just noticed this afternoon that Freddie has *tiny* dark spots on his belly around his genital area (above and around). Now, I thought this might be dirt, but it isn't. It almost looks like some kind of fungus or mould, if I were to guess without knowing any better, but that doesn't make much sense because I keep him dry.

I've just searched the forums for "freckles" and have come up with threads on the Belton gene, but I'm not sure that's what's going on. He certainly doesn't have any dark spots on him, but he does have dark lines through some of his nails.

I can't post any pictures because the spots are just so little. I'll be asking the vet next week when I take him for his second shots, but was wondering if anyone might give me any insight before then.

Apologies for being redundant, if that's the case.

Thanks,

Kat and Freddie
Old 12-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
Tyler has those and he's 15 years old. I can't check how many right now as he is all curled up in a ball, fast asleep. One day I thought one of them was a tick and when I tried to remove it, discovered that it was part of his anatomy. I believe they have always been there and are not an issue.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Tyler has those and he's 15 years old. I can't check how many right now as he is all curled up in a ball, fast asleep. One day I thought one of them was a tick and when I tried to remove it, discovered that it was part of his anatomy. I believe they have always been there and are not an issue.
Thanks Mary
Old 12-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
sandypaws

Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
Tyler is up and about, Kat, so I checked his spots. He has two, pretty symmetrically placed on either side of his penis. Hope that helps.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Tillie had spots on her belly when she was little, they eventually went away.... she has several dime size spots on her legs that seem to almost be like birth marks or something.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
spiffylike
Kat

Thanks Mary and Tammy.
I'm still going to have the vet check them out when we go, but whatever it is (be it birth mark or infection), I'm sure it's either harmless or treatable
I guess I am just paranoid as any new pet owner would be. I was soooo scared the first week that he would get sick. Now I know he's a little monster that is super resilient!
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beau is a black & white parti. He is almost 2 years old and he has had many dark spots on his belly from the beginning! By all means, though, when in doubt, check it out!

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
LJS58

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffylike View Post
Thanks Mary and Tammy.
I'm still going to have the vet check them out when we go, but whatever it is (be it birth mark or infection), I'm sure it's either harmless or treatable
I guess I am just paranoid as any new pet owner would be. I was soooo scared the first week that he would get sick. Now I know he's a little monster that is super resilient!
I took my Hav to the vet when he started to show signs of freakles/spots at about 12 weeks. They were in the same spot as your pup. I had exactly the same experience-I thought it was dirt, then when it didn't wash off, a bruise or a skin infection. It was just his Belton gene starting to show. Now he has spots all over his body, but they are mostly visible when he's wet. He is also a mostly white/very light colored dog.

It's always best to check with your vet, but based on my expereince, I'm 99% sure it's just Belton pigmentation.
LJS58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS58 View Post
I took my Hav to the vet when he started to show signs of freakles/spots at about 12 weeks. They were in the same spot as your pup. I had exactly the same experience-I thought it was dirt, then when it didn't wash off, a bruise or a skin infection. It was just his Belton gene starting to show. Now he has spots all over his body, but they are mostly visible when he's wet. He is also a mostly white/very light colored dog.

It's always best to check with your vet, but based on my expereince, I'm 99% sure it's just Belton pigmentation.
Thanks very much
Old 12-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #10
Tom King

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Trip, soon to be 16, came to see us today and be groomed. He's a Sable too, and his belly (as is the rest of him) is covered with more of those freckles than any Dalmation has spots. It's nothing to worry about.
Tom King is online now   Reply With Quote