Signal to go outside - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #21
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffylike View Post
Oh I totally understand that he is still very little and I think considering that fact, he is doing extremely well by way of potty training.

UPDATE: he rang the bells TWICE independently today!! I set them up at noon today. We went outside a couple of times where prompted him to touch his nose to the bells, or I rang them before we went out, and twice so far today he has rung them on his own and waited by the door for us to go outside. I am so proud of him!

I'm glad you and Kodi have a great system worked out
That's awesome..good job
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiffylike View Post
Oh I totally understand that he is still very little and I think considering that fact, he is doing extremely well by way of potty training.

UPDATE: he rang the bells TWICE independently today!! I set them up at noon today. We went outside a couple of times where prompted him to touch his nose to the bells, or I rang them before we went out, and twice so far today he has rung them on his own and waited by the door for us to go outside. I am so proud of him!

I'm glad you and Kodi have a great system worked out
Great progress so far!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #23
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
WAHOOOOOOO! these little guys and girls are SO smart!!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
spiffylike
Kat

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Aaaaaaaand he just pooped on the carpet lol
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
riverlogic

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol. There will still be accidents for a little while. The bells are great though.
I put up bells for Bucky and they worked great for him. He came home in September, and by Christmas I was confident enough to take him to my mom's. Not a house for dogs, usually. He was welcome to come back
Fia's having a tougher time with training but that's got a lot to do with the -20C temps and deep snow. She can't get down the stairs to the door either.
riverlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #26
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlogic View Post
lol. There will still be accidents for a little while. The bells are great though.
I put up bells for Bucky and they worked great for him. He came home in September, and by Christmas I was confident enough to take him to my mom's. Not a house for dogs, usually. He was welcome to come back
Fia's having a tougher time with training but that's got a lot to do with the -20C temps and deep snow. She can't get down the stairs to the door either.
Aww little Fia! Yes that would make training so much harder.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #27
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
I didn't have to train Oreo to let me know when he needs to go. He just sits down in front of me and whines. That's his signal to me he has to go do his business.

I see less of it now because we have him on a schedule.

7:30am - pee
7:45am - eat
9:30am - poop
1:00pm - pee
5:00pm - eat
6:30pm - poop
9:00pm - pee

Having him on a schedule is awesome because it makes planning my days so much easier.
did it take him long to get on that schedule? How did you approach it?
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
Louella

Submit Photo: 1
Spiffylike, my Teddi is the same age but is not as far along as Doug. Teddi pees and poops outside, which is good and we have a "Yay, Teddi" party whenever she does what she is supposed to do outside. Inside she will use her puppy pee pads but I am usually not around to witness this, she just knows what to do. My problem is that if I take her out of her enclosure to play, she will play hard and then just squat down wherever she is and pee. I watch her like a hawk for any obvious signals and I am able to grab her and run for the door most times but sometimes I miss and so....it's puddles on the floor. Does Doug do this?
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #29
Louella

Submit Photo: 1
That's fabulous! How old is Oreo now? Teddi is almost 13 weeks old. She peeps and poops outside whenever I take her out but if she is out of her enclosure she forgets while playing and has accidents. Tonight, I brought her out of her ex-pen to play for a while and we were having a fun time but then she runs under the Christmas Tree and pees! What will Santa say? Did Oreo have accidents?
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:32 PM   #30
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
It sounds to me like Teddi is doing great overall. I would just interrupt play time with a few toilet breaks. I think that pups just get too excited. When I am watching Doug he seems to be ok inside, so if we are playing not a problem. I just can't trust him enough to turn my back on him for too long because he tends to go inside then. He is trustworthy when he is in his restricted area and then we will go off outside through the doggy door. But this improvement is only in the past 5 days since bringing in the doggy door. Before that we had him in the crate a lot more to have some more control.

Doug actually does the excited wees when someone visits so now when someone comes over we put him in his restricted area (which is the laundry, has his crate in there, access to outside through the doggy door however we have a pen outside that so he can't have complete run of the year and a gate so he can still see what is going on) until he calms down enough to come out and say hi so we usualy wait about 5 min.

Doug has done so many wees inside I have lost count. We have had him three weeks now and he has got soo much better but I still don't trust him enough when he is in the main lounge area of the house he will still go on the floor if he had the chance. I can't wait until he is fully trained lol
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote