Our new rescue, suckling on everything?? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Our new rescue, suckling on everything??
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Jlmcinn4

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our new rescue, suckling on everything??

Hi:

We just adopted a Havanese rescue, approx. 1 1/2 years old. Super friendly, lovable boy. We just are going crazy with his sucking on everything in the house. He is constantly nibbling (almost like weaning) on us, our clothes, bedding etc.. We are constantly taking him for exercise, and giving him something to chew on. When we were at the vets I asked them about the behavior and they never heard of it. They said he was looking for attention but thats not it because he will do it even if we are playing with him. I am home all the time and he gets ton of attention. When he does it you can hear his teeth hitting each other (sounds like false teeth) Any tips for this constant nibbling or has anyone seen this before?
Jlmcinn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good for you. what is his history. ? How often are we talking. ?

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-13-2012 at 07:14 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #3
Jlmcinn4

His history is that he was owned by an elderly couple that no longer had the energy to care for him. They also had an older dog. He went into rescue for not that long. He nibbles on everything about 80% of the day. My kids say he is addicted to nibbling. He doesn't hurt anyone or use his teeth on us. He buries his head in everything and nibbles likes he is trying to get something out of it. There are even times he coughs up fur balls I think from stripping the tops of furniture and blankets.
Jlmcinn4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
I would suggest a professional consultation. This is something for a certified applied veterinary behaviorist. Unfortunately they are not cheap. As there are only a couple hundred in the world. If you want an other option , I would recommend an experienced trainer. If you need help finding one let me know. I'm not sure why your vet would not have some idea about this. But that's why there's a HUGE difference between a regular vet and a veteranary BEHAVIORIST. The reason I'm say vet behaviorist is because this might involve drugs as well as behavioral modification. If you'd like an article on this sort of thing , email me privately.

Last edited by davetgabby; 12-13-2012 at 07:52 PM.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
can you redirect his nibbling? you know to a preferred chew item, like a bully stick? or a nylabone?
Have you checked his teeth? maybe something in his mouth is bothering him.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Interesting. Lucy does something that sounds similar to this. She "chews" with her front teeth and clicks her teeth. When i swish her away and feel where she had been chewing, it's not even wet. It's almost like she's rubbing the outside of her front teeth on the fabric.

Congrats on your new puppy!
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
TilliesMom

interesting... our oldest cat does a version of this ... "nursing", up until she was about 5 she would literally suckle and get what ever she was suckling SOAKING wet...
She is a rescue and we assume she was seperated from her mom and littermates way to young.
Did her former owner have her from puppyhood?? DO they know who the breeder is?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
Beau's mom
Beau's Mom

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Beau does that -- but only on the bed linens. He particularly likes to do it with pillow cases. The amazing thing is that it sounds like he is picking at the threads. But, not only are the linens dry, there isn't any indication that the pillow cases are harmed in any way. I've mentioned it to a couple vets, but it is so difficult to describe that they both looked at me like it just couldn't be what I'm saying.

They're not my dogs -- I'm their person
Lorraine
Beau's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:40 AM   #9
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Lorraine, that is EXACTLY the case in our situation. You described Lucy to a 't'. it is when we are on the bed and there is no damage and it's completely dry.
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Henry likes to lick pillows, till they're sopping wet in the spot.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nibbling, suckling, teething, weaning