Tragedy and Sad Days in Connecticut - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Tragedy and Sad Days in Connecticut
Old 12-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tragedy and Sad Days in Connecticut

As a Connecticut teacher, what happened in Newtown was always my worst fear. I would like to reach out to all educators and parents on the forum. We can find strength and hope in community. The forum is an amazing community. My thoughts and prayers go out to all. We are all affected by this tragic event.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Right on Joyce. Wow that must have really struck you hard ,so close to home. The times have really changed. I just mentioned to Gwen how when I was in grade eight, I took three long guns into the high school and did a seminar on hunting. I don't imagine that would be allowed today. Hard to explain. God bless all those affected by this senseless tragedy.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #3
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
What could possible have gone wrong with the shooter for him to go to the school and massacre these angels? And what was wrong with his mother that she needed to have 6 unsecured assault weapons in her home? My brain can not grasp this.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Many people are asking the same question, Michele.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
the whole tragedy is just mind boggling ... the names and birthdays of the children have been released and many of them were the same age as my daughter. Absolutley horrific, the whole thing. I just can't wrap my mind around it.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
mmphelps
Tino's person

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I had just dropped my boys off at kindergarten when I heard the news. It took everything I had not to get back in the car and pick them up from school, keep them close to me all day. No point trying to wrap my mind around this--it's beyond my capacity to understand or explain. Why a civilian needs any--much less multiple--military level automatic assault weapons is really beyond me. How is it that the right to own and carry firearms takes precedence over the right to be safe from mentally ill murderers who are free to compile an arsenal? Our government has increased security in response to terrorist attacks, so why has it not increased gun control in response to these senseless slaughters in schools? What could be more important than our children?

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #7
rokipiki

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I live in coutry with 5 million people and we have only around 30 murders a year, but when you want to buy a gun you have to pass all kinds of tests, talk to psychologist, police... it takes couple od months and quite a lot of money to get a permission to own a simple gun, not assault weapons because you cannot have them even if you pass all tests, and get a licence. When you get licence to own a gun, you have to renew it every year and police comes to your house to check if you have safe storage with combination lock or double keys. Even hunters go through same procedure.
I have just read all those tragic stories told by families of little ones brutally killed in their classroom. I just cannot stop tears. I think that after this tragedy you have to scrap second amendment and regulate gun ownership by simple laws. As long as you have gun ownership as constituional right, things like this will happen. Even if your fed govt changes laws it will take time to get this under control. But I think it is worth doing it in memory of those 20 six and seven year olds and their teachers. RIP little angels!

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #8
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Our entire state is in deep mourning. President Obama visits today; I hope that he will have the strength and courage to fight for gun control. The images of those beautiful children and brave teachers should push this country into action.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #9
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Horrific tragedy. There are no words for it. Hopefully this will finally push the American government to finally put some restrictions in place. There should be a right to own a gun but not without much greater restrictions. The American stats compared to other countries prove it. Sorry for the rant, but its for those precious babies and their brave teachers
Old 12-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post
I live in coutry with 5 million people and we have only around 30 murders a year, but when you want to buy a gun you have to pass all kinds of tests, talk to psychologist, police... it takes couple od months and quite a lot of money to get a permission to own a simple gun, not assault weapons because you cannot have them even if you pass all tests, and get a licence. When you get licence to own a gun, you have to renew it every year and police comes to your house to check if you have safe storage with combination lock or double keys. Even hunters go through same procedure.
I have just read all those tragic stories told by families of little ones brutally killed in their classroom. I just cannot stop tears. I think that after this tragedy you have to scrap second amendment and regulate gun ownership by simple laws. As long as you have gun ownership as constituional right, things like this will happen. Even if your fed govt changes laws it will take time to get this under control. But I think it is worth doing it in memory of those 20 six and seven year olds and their teachers. RIP little angels!
You are so right about our gun laws needing to be changed . I have never felt so saddened. What is going on? We had a shooting at a mall not 5 miles from my house this week then this. We had three deceased including the shooter it could have been a lot worse but his gun jammed. My heart goes out to everyone.