Tragedy and Sad Days in Connecticut - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Very sorry for all the family survivors.
gelbergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
Lola :)

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
As a Connecticut teacher, what happened in Newtown was always my worst fear. I would like to reach out to all educators and parents on the forum. We can find strength and hope in community. The forum is an amazing community. My thoughts and prayers go out to all. We are all affected by this tragic event.
I think also think this forum is a great community and I respect that you acknowledged this terrible tragedy on here. I am a teacher in the making and have a passion for teaching and children. I have felt such a deep sense of heartache for the victims: the children, the faculty members, their families, and the community as a whole. This poor community has been bombarded with such a horrific nightmare. I will continue to think of Newtown, CN and pray for them. Each of those children were so beautiful and innocent. The faculty members are heroes. It is all just so sad and tragic.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #13
NvonS

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is absolutely NO reason for a citizen to have an assault rifle. People should only be allowed to have guns that shoot six rounds before having to reload. That is all that is needed for hunting and target shooting. We need to change the laws. NOW! This can not be allowed to happen again. It sounds like we need to explore the laws that Croatia has. If a person can prove they are of sound mind and have a legitimate reason to have a gun only then should they be permitted to have one.
NvonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #14
mmphelps
Tino's person

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokipiki View Post
I live in coutry with 5 million people and we have only around 30 murders a year, but when you want to buy a gun you have to pass all kinds of tests, talk to psychologist, police... it takes couple od months and quite a lot of money to get a permission to own a simple gun, not assault weapons because you cannot have them even if you pass all tests, and get a licence. When you get licence to own a gun, you have to renew it every year and police comes to your house to check if you have safe storage with combination lock or double keys. Even hunters go through same procedure.
I have just read all those tragic stories told by families of little ones brutally killed in their classroom. I just cannot stop tears. I think that after this tragedy you have to scrap second amendment and regulate gun ownership by simple laws. As long as you have gun ownership as constituional right, things like this will happen. Even if your fed govt changes laws it will take time to get this under control. But I think it is worth doing it in memory of those 20 six and seven year olds and their teachers. RIP little angels!
I'm not totally against the second amendment, but we need to remember that it was written long before semi- and fully-automatic weapons were even conceived of. When the constitution was written, muskets were the most deadly firearm available. Times have changed and our thinking about the freedom to bear arms needs to adjust to our current reality. I think the process for would-be gun owners that's required in your country is completely sane, reasonable, and responsible. I would love to see that process implemented here in the US. Ok, I'm done ranting. I need you all to know that it's totally out of character for me to rant like this on a forum, but I just can't help it this time. I'm overwhelmed by this tragedy. It's just insane to me that something like this could happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvonS View Post
There is absolutely NO reason for a citizen to have an assault rifle. People should only be allowed to have guns that shoot six rounds before having to reload. That is all that is needed for hunting and target shooting. We need to change the laws. NOW! This can not be allowed to happen again. It sounds like we need to explore the laws that Croatia has. If a person can prove they are of sound mind and have a legitimate reason to have a gun only then should they be permitted to have one.
Totally agree.

Did anyone see Peirs Morgan's segments? Some pro gun guy's answer to this is to have more guns. He thinks that people should have more guns to protect themselves from people like the shooter.

Great.

I pray for those who were innocently taken from this world and pray that their families can find resolved in all this nonsensical violence.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #16
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
I believe that the addictive, violent, video games are FAR more to blame for the increased violence in our country. Many (most?) young people spend literally hours every day playing those bloody, violent games. I've heard teachers talk about children even in kindergarten having trouble telling the difference between reality and a video game.

Ban violent video games.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #17
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Submit Photo: 5
I believe that much has to be done in this country. Parents should be monitoring their children's time on the computer and not allowing violent games. Having said that, this country needs to wake up about gun control. Why do citizens need assault rifles in their homes? Why would any mentally healthy person object to obtaining a hand gun in a safe way?
Old 12-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
sashamom
Linda - Sasha's Mom

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo's Mom View Post
As a Connecticut teacher, what happened in Newtown was always my worst fear. I would like to reach out to all educators and parents on the forum. We can find strength and hope in community. The forum is an amazing community. My thoughts and prayers go out to all. We are all affected by this tragic event.
As I was reading through all posts on this particular thread, I had a thought and maybe someone in the teaching arena and in Ct would know how to get the idea to the proper person. The children will be going back to school soon and I thought that therapy dogs might be very helpful for them. Just a thought, my heart is so heavy and sad for them. Linda
Old 12-17-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Linda,

Wonderful idea! Lutheran Church Charities (from Chicago) sent a team of canine comfort dogs - 20 golden retrievers - to be with the children who were traumatized by the tragedy. The hearts of Connecticut are breaking as the funerals for these angels and their protectors take place.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #20
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
I believe that the addictive, violent, video games are FAR more to blame for the increased violence in our country. Many (most?) young people spend literally hours every day playing those bloody, violent games. I've heard teachers talk about children even in kindergarten having trouble telling the difference between reality and a video game.

Ban violent video games.
Maybe, but I think one of the BIGGEST problems is the HORRIBLE state of the mental health system in this country if someone is taken to the hospital for suicidal ideation, if they calm down at the hospital and agree to a "safety contract", they are sent merrily on their way, not even a 24 hour hold.

Even in the case of a minor (not sure about adult laws) threatening violence to others, they are not held if they calm down once at the hospital. (the vast majority do) They are simply sent home, though they may need a "safety evaluation" by a psychologist before being allowed to return to school. This consists of a couple of hours of marginally reliable testing and "talk" with a psychologist that probably has little or no background knowledge of the child.

Here in MA (and I think this is true of most states these days) there are NO LOCKED FACILITIES for people with mental health problems unless they have ALREADY committed a crime. I have parents on my case load who are BESIDE themselves because they can't get real help for their children with mental health problems. They have good private insurance, but neither that nor the state REALLY addresses the problem.

The system is really, really broke. Then you make it easy for these people (often kids or near-kids themselves) to access guns, and is there any question why there are terrible consequences?

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote