Signal to go outside - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #31
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
PS so far Doug has been great around the chrissy tree. Fingers crossed it stays this way. He hasn't dared to do a wee under neath or grab anything off the tree he doesn't really even get that close to it just every now and then when the lights are on he will stare at it for a little while lol
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:07 AM   #32
spiffylike
Kat

Submit Photo: 0
Glad to hear things are going well with Doug and the Christmas tree!
Freddie is doing well with the bells. But he sometimes uses them just to get my attention. I'm hoping this subsides after a while and after he realizes that the bells are for business only.

Best example of using the bells well: I had gone to bed and my boyfriend was up late last night. Freddie was horking up a hair ball or something (DBF thought he was choking), and let him out of his crate. In his absolutely EXHAUSTED state (it was like 1am), he trudged over to the bells and *ring.* By the time the DBF got his coat on, there was a pretty big puddle on the floor, but Freddie at least gave him the warning. I am so proud of the little fluffball!!
Old 12-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #33
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
That's great news.

As I keep hearing about dealing with the cold weather I'm a little glad that we are going through the puppy stage in in summer. Luckily there has been little rain and the days are nice and warm so not too hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #34
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
The bells work great. Just hit them on the way out the door. The Havs figure it out pretty quickly although when they get ordered sometimes its just a plaything. Right now you are your puppies success. When ever we miss their signal, an accident is sure to follow
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #35
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie developed her own way to let me know. At first she would scratch or paw at me or DH and when we would ask what she wanted she would run to her pee pad. Course we got up to take her immediately. Then she realized that might work for her carrot, so we would walk by the fridge to the door and if she stopped at the fridge, we ignored her. She either went out or we went and sat back down. Then she just used the pawing and I would take her outsidel. Since I work upstairs and watch TV also that got to be a pain. So I would tell her to go tell her "Daddy". Course she didn't go at first, so I had to take her down the stairs and holler for DH to take her outside. Then I got smart and used the intercom on the phone to tell him that I was sending her down. Now I just say go tell your Daddy and buzz him. She goes right to him and he takes her. Love it. Wish he was home in the daytime.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #36
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Rosie developed her own way to let me know. At first she would scratch or paw at me or DH and when we would ask what she wanted she would run to her pee pad. Course we got up to take her immediately. Then she realized that might work for her carrot, so we would walk by the fridge to the door and if she stopped at the fridge, we ignored her. She either went out or we went and sat back down. Then she just used the pawing and I would take her outsidel. Since I work upstairs and watch TV also that got to be a pain. So I would tell her to go tell her "Daddy". Course she didn't go at first, so I had to take her down the stairs and holler for DH to take her outside. Then I got smart and used the intercom on the phone to tell him that I was sending her down. Now I just say go tell your Daddy and buzz him. She goes right to him and he takes her. Love it. Wish he was home in the daytime.
That's amazing!

Freddie has been doing well on the bells so far. It's extra rainy here today, though, and he's not happy about going outside so we had two accidents in the house already. It's a work in progress
Old 12-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #37
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie doesn't like to go out in the rain either. I started going out with an umbrella, but she would not pee next to me. So I just make her go in the rain. She runs out and right back now. My little schnauzers used to run under the hedge near the back door, but Rosie likesto go in the grass. When she runs back in, she stops on the towel and lets me dry her feet and fur. On most days she holds up each leg as I call our the number. I can't wait until she gets it perfectly. My SIL's big mutt lays on his back to get his feet wiped..
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #38
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Rosie doesn't like to go out in the rain either. I started going out with an umbrella, but she would not pee next to me. So I just make her go in the rain. She runs out and right back now. My little schnauzers used to run under the hedge near the back door, but Rosie likesto go in the grass. When she runs back in, she stops on the towel and lets me dry her feet and fur. On most days she holds up each leg as I call our the number. I can't wait until she gets it perfectly. My SIL's big mutt lays on his back to get his feet wiped..
That's so cute! I count them out as we wipe them too!
The little guy whimpers outside in the rain. I need to make the rain more fun!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #39
narci
Rocky, Oreo's daddy

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most 'little' dogs don't like to go out in the rain..Oreo didn't...at first.

I conditioned Oreo that going out in the rain isn't a bad thing. We've gone on poopy walks for hours many times in the pouring rain. It's so cute when he hops over puddles that are in his way.

He's a rain champ!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #40
spiffylike
Kat

Quote:
Originally Posted by narci View Post
Most 'little' dogs don't like to go out in the rain..Oreo didn't...at first.

I conditioned Oreo that going out in the rain isn't a bad thing. We've gone on poopy walks for hours many times in the pouring rain. It's so cute when he hops over puddles that are in his way.

He's a rain champ!
Amazing! Puddlejumpingpuppy! I'd imagine that's totally necessary to do when living in Vancouver