Pet Insurance?? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Pet Insurance??
Old 12-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #1
Lola :)

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pet Insurance??

I know it's a bit late in the game, since Lola has had most of her vaccinations already, but with her spaying surgery coming up with blood work beforehand and the possibility of tooth extractions, I can't help but think of the expense it's going to be. I was hoping to gain some advice from some of you about whether or not you have pet insurance and which one you recommend. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
If I bought a new puppy, I would get Pet plan pet insurance. I had it for my 3 but found it wasn't worth it because I got it when they were older. It doesn't pay for pre existing stuff, so best to get it before anything comes up!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
snadella

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Linda, thanks for the information and thanks to original poster for asking the question. This is very helpful information. I have been meaning to ask the same question...We are getting a puppy soon and were looking for pet insurance. Few of my friends said just a wellness plan from Petsmart(Banfield) is good enough. But I thought I should get something more (should I?). I started reading reviews of Pet plan they are either very good or very bad. But since we are planning on bringing in a puppy I hope it will work out. If anyone else has any suggestions regarding any other pet insurance plans it will be helpful to know.
snadella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
I am checking out Healthy Paws and so far I like what I see. I think it's worth looking at. I don't recall seeing any plans that would cover vaccines or neutering.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
snadella

I think you have to have a preventative wellness plan to get covered for vaccines and Spays & Neuters
Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
emichel

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
There was a recent four part series in the Seattle Times, that explained the ins and outs of choosing a plan. Here are the links:

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof...ce_part_1.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof...ce_part_2.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof...ce_part_3.html

http://seattletimes.com/html/tailsof...hunt_ends.html

I thought is was a really good article. At this point I have decided to bypass getting insurance, due to all of the exclusions and conditions. Time will tell if I've made the right decision. I'm still thinking about it, though.

-- Eileen
emichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
LochTess
I Want My Walk

Think twice before you get a PetsBest policy!!!

Ricky was with PetsBest for years and I referred many people to them. They used to be really good until I got an email stating that PetsBest was now being underwritten by Aetna Insurance Company and Ricky's policy would not be renewed and had to be changed:-(

I quickly called them and was assured that Ricky's policy would not change but I would not be able to get one of their new policies because of his pre-existing conditions. I was never told about an increase in rates.When I viewed my automatic payment on my credit card my premium had gone from $48 to $130 per month.

I called the customer service agent and canceled my policy. I left 2 messages for supervisor but she hasn't returned my call.

I'm furious that they increased my premium amount almost 3 times more then I was paying without being told!!!!!

Beware that when they change underwriters (which is frequently) you're actually dealing with a totally different insurance company that can change your policy and premiums in a heartbeat :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetsBest View Post
Hi, before you commit to anything, check Pets Best Insurance out. We have lots of plan options to fit peoplesí needs and budgets; and we pay claims fast. Wellness plans are good but they donít cover accidents and illnesses which can be very expensive. We also agree that getting pet insurance now while your pet is young and healthy is best. You can learn more information about our dog insurance plans here, http://www.petsbest.com/about-pet-in.../dog-insurance, or call us at 877-738-7237, or Live Chat with us on our website. We wish you and your pups happy and healthy holidays!
LochTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
RitaandRiley

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
That's interesting info Tess. Thanks for letting us know. I've been dragging my feet on this. I love Ricky's "profile"!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
LochTess
I Want My Walk

Hi Rita,

I just got off the phone with the supervisor and she said at the very bottom of that email is a PDF that had the amount on itÖ I missed it because it was buried at the very bottom of the page that nobody looks at!!

Nevertheless It seems they want to force older dogs with pre-existing conditions off their plan!!

They may sound like they have a great plan but what they don't tell you is with new underwriters that could change in a heartbeat...

Basically once they have you locked into an
insurance policy and you use it due to illness or accident
with new underwriters they can raise your premiums and change your plan to what ever they want... and you're most likely not going to leave because getting a new insurance policies with a dog that has pre-existing conditions is very expensive!!

Because they raised my premiums from $48 to $130 per month
I can no longer afford insurance for Ricky and because of his pre-existing conditions I can't really go anywhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaandRiley View Post
That's interesting info Tess. Thanks for letting us know. I've been dragging my feet on this. I love Ricky's "profile"!
LochTess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #10
snadella

Tess, is pet insurance really needed? how valuable is it? We still don't have the puppy home (he will be coming end of Feb- right now i get to see his pictures every week ) I was thinking since he is going to be a brand new puppy and with no pre-existing conditions it will be a smart idea to get one, but now that you mentioned that they may "force" us out once the dog gets older and has health issues, I have second thoughts. What is the point of paying the premiums all along when we cannot use it as they get older?

BTW, I saw Ricky's picture on your profile and I think the puppy we picked will look exactly like him when he grows up...