New Hav parent.. - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
JacksonsMom
Newbie 1112

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi. I looked over Jackson's records and it says he has a hernia so that's why it was done so early. Thanks for all the great feed back :-).

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
JacksonsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #22
Bidik
Cora

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Cora ran away from home today. He amde to the other side of the street ( I ran after him of course, lucky that neither of us got hit by a car) to check out a dog. This is his second offense in two weeks. He is 6.5 months old and his favourite pass time is humping on stuffed toys and spotting on the carpet. I was ready to wait until he is a little older but today's excitement was too much. He is constantly looking around for girls and although he is not aggressive he is persistent and playful in his terms. I was wondering if neutering helps. His teeth look healthy and his tescticles (I believe) are fully grown and overly active...
Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM   #23
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
I have no advise on the neutering except that I've heard it helps to reduce a dog's desire to look for girls. However, you don't want to even have your Hav off leash when you are outdoors. They love animals, people, and running. Don't risk it, especially near roads.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
Bidik
Cora

Submit Photo: 0
Hi Sheri, he was indoors the first time. Door rang, I answered it and he ran away through the ajar door. Coudn't believe he even fit in there. In the second Htime, which was today, he was in the backyard for potty. He found a crack and made it to the front yard and rest is history. When he is off leash in the dog park he always checks if I am around, always comes when called. This is why it is troubling that he just took off today.
Bidik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #25
queryne

Submit Photo: 1
Leo is 4 months now and I won't be neutering him until he turns 6 months.
queryne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #26
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Bidik, I'm glad he (and you) weren't hurt running across the road. I've heard some people use a baby gate across the front door for those whose dogs bolt out the door. Otherwise, lots and lots of training. I know for my guy if there is any question before opening the door I pick him up. As for holes in the fence... lots of patching and policing to make sure there is no place they can get through, under, or over. Otherwise, yep, there is a wonderful world out there to check out.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I am so lucky that Ted is too scared to go down the front steps. He has bolted out the front door, but only goes onto the stoop as he wouldn't even think of going down the stairs. I guess in this case size matters too. He is a pretty short little guy. Ted is definitely more defiant the past couple months, just like a teenage is. He comes for a treat but when he knows I'm going to put him in his pen in the am, it's a chase to get him. I have decided that I will not wait til a year. Probably next month which will bring him to 8 1/2 months or so