Learning not to be paranoid! - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Learning not to be paranoid!
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
veridea

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Learning not to be paranoid!

Hi again! I've asked a few health questions here and there about Pickles, my 8.5 month old Hav. I'm a paranoid girl; if I think something is wrong, I immediately make a vet appointment. And I should note that Pickles is and has always been in perfect health.

So last night, we were concerned about his eye. He was squinting a lot, and it was quite red. My boyfriend teased me about being too protective until he took a closer look at P's eye - it was quite red and inflamed, and he thought it was scratched. (We have a cat). So we went straight to the emergency vet.

Turns out there was nothing wrong, aside from some irritation from dirt. My boyfriend had seen the inner eyelid and mistook it for a gash in his eye. We were quite relieved, and Pickles' eye is looking much better.

My question is this: how do you avoid being over protective with your pups? Pickles is so important to me, so I find myself worrying over small things. Does anyone else find themselves doing this, or am I just too protective of my lil man?
veridea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 PM   #2
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cooled down after enormous vet bills when nothing was wrong. Now I make myself wait at least until morning.
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
wait until morning and most things settle down! We don't have an emergency clinic so I have to wait until morning. I have called the on call vet a couple times and he's reassured me that I could wait and then in the morning all is better. Try waiting a little longer next time, you'll save some $$$. Your vet must love you; you're single-handedly keeping them in business!

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
You will calm down after awhile, I have found that I become super viglant the first few months they come home, after a major illiness, and when they are elderly. It is normal and you sound like a good pet parent it takes awhile for us humans to build a comfort level and that feeling is different for each pet. You will get there, I am very happy to hear your pup is fine.