Not a morning dog - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Not a morning dog
Old 12-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
misstray

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Not a morning dog

It's funny how our dogs become like us in some ways. I'm soooooo not a morning person.

When I first got Brody, his waking up at 4-5am to start his day just about killed me, but he was my baby so I cheerfully (or as cheefully as I can be at 4am) put up with it and hoped it would pass.

When he started to actually sleep in the bed with me at around 4 or 5 months, he also started sleeping later. Yay! I usually set my alarm for about 1/2 hour before I want to get up and hit the snooze button a couple of times. At first Brody was UP the second the alarm went off. He quickly learned about the snooze button though! Soon, I could almost hear him groaning, "Quick, turn that thing off mom, it's still sleepy time!"

Now when the alarm goes off he buries himself under the covers or in the pillows, but he will almost always get up when I do.

Not this morning though. The alarm went off and he buried himself in the pillows and blankets. When I got up, he dug himself in deeper amongst my pillows and wasn't budging for the world. So, I got up and started getting ready. A couple of lights got turned on (hallway and bathroom). This was just too much for Brody this morning...he got up and moved to his crate in the living room where it was still dark and went back to sleep!

He eventually decided he should get up and go to the bathroom.

I just had to laugh. It was too funny and just reminded me of ME! I love that he sleeps in now!!

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
marlowe'sgirl

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh the same story here!! Marlowe usually sleeps on the end of the bed. But when the alarm goes off (and snooze gets hit), he comes up, gets under the covers, curls up next to me, and puts his head on the pillow next to mine. It is SO much tougher to get out of bed then .
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
when it's cold in the mornings, all my dogs are slow to wake up. I have to say now that my Ollie is 3, he doesn't always get out of bed when I do. it's funny. also when it's cold, he'll jump on my bed to get some heat from me, lol.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
misstray

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I'm far enough north that we do get reduced daylight hours this time of year and I'm sure that plays into things as it's still pretty dark in the morning. Right now sunrise isn't until 0933 and sunset at 1627.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.
- Josh Billings
misstray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Pipersmom
Julie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Piper and I are trying to teach Riley what "snooze" means...as if Piper wasn't annoyed enough with him already

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
SOX and Wendy sleep in our bedroom. When I got SOX and when Wendy was born, I was still working. On weekdays I had to get up at 5:00. My husband was already retired and generally he stayed in bed another hour (I'm not a morning person like him and really didn't want conversation until really awake and he knew it). After I'd get up, Wendy would want to go out and into the rest of the house. SOX went back to sleep. Funny, she knew when I was off (I guess because of no alarm) and didn't wake me at 5:00 to get up. Now that I'm retired, I don't usually get up first. If my husband isn't up by 6:00, she jumps on him, pokes him, etc until he does. Wendy goes out and SOX lets me sleep at least a couple hours more. Funny isn't it
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
When I work the early shift Maddie just stays in bed. Zoey gets up with me.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
Buzzys Mom

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buzzy will stay in bed while I am getting ready and will only get out of bed when I make him get up to go out. Oscar is only 7.5 months so he gets up pretty early yo go to the bathroom- and sometimes in the middle of the night (we are working on that). I think he too will sleep in eventually. I LOVE to sleep in!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
Diann

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice conversation to read. Lucy's been getting up at 3:30-4:00 in the mornings lately. How can I just make her lay back down and go back to sleep?
Diann is offline   Reply With Quote