Making grooming a better experience? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by emichel View Post
Ewokpup, Miss Yorkie sounds like a character. I don't know if Yorkies as a breed like baths, though clearly there are breeds who are naturally comfortable in water. I really like your idea of trying some water toys, and just letting the dog be in the water without being bathed. I have no idea if he will like it, but maybe I'll try it on one of these long winter evenings when there's nothing much going on. I'll let you know how it goes!

-- Eileen
Even the Labs and water spaniels I know don't like water once there is shampoo involved. Now, give them a nice black muddy swamp, any day!!!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuss View Post
None of them really like it, they just tolerate it. Be matter of fact about it, don't reward bad behaviour (only give treats when they are calm, don't use them to bride them into good behaviour as you'll just reinforce the bad). I don't fill the tub with water, that freaks her out. I use the spray attachment on the shower head, wet her down, then use diluted shampoo so i can get it on quickly. Once she's suds up i do a rinse, then the conditioner. I give her a nice massage with the conditioner and she likes that. I give her lots of treats them too, to make it a really pleasant experience. then a rinse, wrap in a towel and lots of cuddles. I got the whole process including the blowdry down to less than an hour.

For the detangling spray, try covering the face with your hand or a towel. I find doing that when she's attached on the grooming table makes it much easier. Mine also runs and hides when she sees a spray bottle.
This is very close to my routine, except to say that I wash him in the kitchen sink, so he's not in standing water at all... I just wet, wash and rinse with the spray nozzle on the sink.

One thing that I have seen, both with Kodi and other dogs is that they can be VERY unhappy on slipper footing. So a rubber mat in the bottom of the sink or bath tub can make them more comfortable. I use the top of my washer for grooming, and have a rubber backed bathmat on top, so that Kodi has secure footing there too. Also, a grooming slip, so that I have both hands free made grooming MUCH easier.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #13
Dory
Mom to Quincy and Myka

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quincy was running away from the spray bottle of conditioner too. I finally decided to put something over the bottom of it (gave it a different look) and it worked. He wasn't as freaked out about the spraying. Not sure how long it will last, but it seems to be working for now. He also doesn't like his baths, but he goes in the sink with a nice padded bottom and I use the sprayer on him (gently to start off and then a little more pressure when we get to rinse time). He doesn't like grooming either, but will tolerate it as long as he has a bully stick to chew on while I'm brushing. I'll take it LOL. He just turned 8 months old yesterday and is BRATTY!
Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
Quincy was running away from the spray bottle of conditioner too. I finally decided to put something over the bottom of it (gave it a different look) and it worked. He wasn't as freaked out about the spraying. Not sure how long it will last, but it seems to be working for now. He also doesn't like his baths, but he goes in the sink with a nice padded bottom and I use the sprayer on him (gently to start off and then a little more pressure when we get to rinse time). He doesn't like grooming either, but will tolerate it as long as he has a bully stick to chew on while I'm brushing. I'll take it LOL. He just turned 8 months old yesterday and is BRATTY!
Oh! That's another thing I do. While I use the full-strength spray on his body, when I rinse Kodi's face, I use as low pressure as I can create with my spray head. It takes longer to rinse that way, but he definitely objects less.

Old 12-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Mine don't like baths but learn to tolerate them. I have a laundry tub I put in the bathtub with a mat at the bottom. I have a hand held shower head too. I never give treats in the tub. When they are learning to be dried and brushed, I might give a small treat on the table (I use a groooming table) if they've been very patient for what must seem like a long time for a dog; but generally mostly wait until done and all the dogs get a treat. They love the after bath or grooming treats and if I want to do another dog or two, they almost beg to be next. It does take time, though.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #16
spiffylike
Kat

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
All excellent advice, thanks so much everyone!

Yes, I think I have been reinforcing his nervous behaviour by trying to reassure him in the tub. I think I will be doing more silent tubbing, or maybe even put some music on while we have bath time.

The rubber mat in the tub is a great idea -- I will definitely do that (and will also benefit me as I'm accident-prone and tend to slip and fall in the tub often myself! haha).

As for the conditioner, I have noticed that putting it on my hands or on a brush definitely makes a different. I'll try the towel over the face while I do it though, and see if that makes a difference.

Any thoughts on whether to condition and rinse or just spray diluted conditioner? Freddie tends to look greasy when I use conditioner in the tub, but his hair is also getting longer and I've found a mat from time to time lately. He's got a very soft coat naturally, but I am just trying to eliminate tangling...lightweight conditioner?
Old 12-20-2012, 10:29 AM   #17
mmphelps
Tino's person

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
I take Tino in the shower with me every Sunday night. He stands on the built-in tiled bench and I use the sprayer on him, on soft setting. For his head and face, I use a washcloth soaked in water, the squeeze the water over his head, beard, etc--this way I can out the water just where it needs to go. It takes more time but he tolerates it well and I think it keeps him from being afraid of the sprayer. He prefers the shower bench to the tub. Last Sunday he didn't make a peep while I bathed him. I use a lightweight conditioner and rinse well. While the conditioner is setting I work out the eye boogers. I brush him every night with a little pin brush--no matting yet. He chews a bully or pig ear while I brush. He even rolls over and lets me brush his belly--so cute! Sometimes he doesn't tolerate brushing as well so I let it go--I figure it's a long term game and the important thing is to keep working at it a little every day, just like everything else. (I sound more Zen than I really am lol.)

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App