Some Advice Pls: New Hav Owner - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
He is adorable

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #22
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
He's a cutie!

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
Pipersmom
Julie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Hobbes looks like a toy, what a cutie

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #24
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
What a cutie!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Zarika

I've been doing a lot of reading about Havs on this forum and it's very helpful.

Just a few more questions. Does anyone have an idea how to encourage peeing on a pad? Hobbes does pretty well with outside training. I've never been able to get him to go on a pad. Even if its first thing in the AM, he won't do it. The problem with being only outdoor trained is my hours change all the time. Hobbes has been going out at 4am when we first get up since I got him. Next month, we won't need to be up so early. The month after, back to so early. I'd like for him to have an indoor option so I don't need to be up so early when I don't need to be.

Also I have a hard time getting him to go out in the very cold or the rain/snow.

I like the way some ppl on this forum are dual trained and I'd love to be able to accomplish that. Any tips?

PS: if you could see how much improvement he's made in a month with bravery and bonding you'd be amazed. We're slowly getting better with seperation anxiety as well. (Long way to go, but better.)
Zarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:23 AM   #26
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarika View Post
I've been doing a lot of reading about Havs on this forum and it's very helpful.

Just a few more questions. Does anyone have an idea how to encourage peeing on a pad? Hobbes does pretty well with outside training. I've never been able to get him to go on a pad. Even if its first thing in the AM, he won't do it. The problem with being only outdoor trained is my hours change all the time. Hobbes has been going out at 4am when we first get up since I got him. Next month, we won't need to be up so early. The month after, back to so early. I'd like for him to have an indoor option so I don't need to be up so early when I don't need to be.

Also I have a hard time getting him to go out in the very cold or the rain/snow.

I like the way some ppl on this forum are dual trained and I'd love to be able to accomplish that. Any tips?

PS: if you could see how much improvement he's made in a month with bravery and bonding you'd be amazed. We're slowly getting better with seperation anxiety as well. (Long way to go, but better.)
It's hard when it has been TOTALLY ingrained in them NOT to EVER pee inside the house. But one thing I'd try is to take a pee pad out with you when you take him out to pee, and use the pad to wipe up a bit of his pee. You won't get much off the grass, but dogs have a VERY good sense of smell. If he smells his pee on the pad, it might encourage him to think it's OK to pee there. MAKE SURE you are standing by with LOTS of great treats to tell him how wonderful he is if/when he DOES use it. Just make sure you wait until he actually finishes... If you make too big a deal while he is in mid-stream, you may startle him into thinking maybe this wasn't such a good idea!

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
Zarika

Well, I've had Hobbes (my rescue from a shelter that saved him from a puppy mill) for a bit more than a month and I just wanted to check in.

He is doing well. He has learned to play with me (tug of rope, a sort-of version of fetch), he enjoys RLH, he has learned to use chew bones. He still refuses to let any sort of personality show around people besides me, but he is to the point where he will take high-value treats from others. He is playful and outgoing around me and the woman who babysits him in the day.

His out-door potty-training is basically done, although I was/am still completely unsuccessful at any sort of indoor potty training which was important to me

We start beginner obedience classes tomorrow. As far as I'm concerned this is more for the socialization this time, and if we pick up some skills great, if not, we'll repeat the class again. We have been working on some basic commands at home and he is improving. I don't know if he will be able to do them in public, but I think comfort with life skills is more important at this point.

Our only major issue is still the separation anxiety. But even that is getting a bit better. I am worried about regression, because I will to be leaving him for more than I know he can handle without barking (we're only up to about 8 mins) but I need to get back to a bit more of a normal life. Of course, I'm not going to go crazy and be gone for hours, but I haven't been to the gym in a month.

Overall, I'm very pleased with his progress!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #28
krandall
Metrowest, MA

It sounds like you have both made great progress for only a month! Congratulations!!!

Old 01-12-2013, 03:18 PM   #29
Zarika

Hobbes was the star of his obedience class today! He is great at hand targeting. Can do both hands and we are starting work on moving target. The lesson today was "watch me and eye contact." That was an easy one for him because it seems to be his default. He has the sit down 10/10 (I know, nothing is ever really perfect) and we are working on down.

I have decided to use "here" as a recall word. Because he is such a shy dog, he's had too many experiences with "come" and then chase by my roommates, or admittedly me, before I put a stop to that.

I'm so excited. He did great in class skills wise, but he also took treats from several other people and even gave one play bow to another small dog!

I'm sure there will be set backs but he is moving in the right direction.
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM   #30
Zarika

The first picture is him last night, just wanted to post a picture with more hair growth.

The second picture is him in the car ride home after class. Tired himself out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.jpg (2.38 MB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.jpg (2.02 MB, 4 views)