at the end of my rope... - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
at the end of my rope...
Old 12-22-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
at the end of my rope...

... hey guys.
It's been a rough couple of months for us with Tillie and her health.
She has developed this horrible trembling that happens frequently, we can no longer take her in the car, she is a nervous WRECK in the car. and now she has started trembling at all other times of the day as well. I have taken her to the vet, he can't find anything wrong. She had the infection/crystals in her urine about 2 months ago... Honestly, she is stressing me out so much.
She isn't the same dog. I don't know what is going on.
I have been thinking and I thought maybe she just needs more one on one time, more attention as I have been busier than usual recently. So, over the past fews days I have been making a huge point of playing games, training, playing fetch, etc. I thought maybe it was helping as she has seemed happier today... Well, tonight, she pee'd on my sons bed. She hasn't done that since her infection. My husband is IRATE. insists it is behavioral and because she had an infection when we got her pet insurance, it won't cover any urinary issues. We can't afford another vet bill, he says business as 'usual' and that we have plans and that she can't interfere with our plans.
I fear if things aren't resolved soon, he may make me rehome her.
I can't believe I am even confessing all of this. Tillie has always been my light, my companion, our joy... and something is wrong. I have been saying it for weeks and weeks and no one will listen to me. The kids insist they hate her .... she has become fearful and aggressive. I KNOW she has to be in pain, something is seriously wrong, yet nothing can be found ... I haven't wanted to come here and tell you all what has been happening because I feel like I have failed. I have failed Tillie, I have failed myself and my kids.
I just don't know what to do. There is something wrong, I know it. For her to pee on the bed again tonight. I know she has an infection or the crystals are back ... she is trying to TELL me something. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow, but we have out of town plans and because of her recent fear of the car we can't take her with us, so a friend is going to come over mid day to let her out and play with her for a bit, but how can I leave her knowing there is something wrong and that she needs to go to the vet.. and then we run into Christmas.... my husband insists that we have plans and that Tillie isn't going to change those plans and that we can't afford another vet bill.
I don't know why I am telling you all this, I guess I just needed to vent to those that I know understand my heartbreak and frustration. I just don't know what to do and I miss my little girl so much... I haven't seen her smile in months....
Old 12-22-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
CacheHavs

Submit Photo: 25
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 10 Posts
Tammy, So sorry to hear that Tillie is not herself, IF you can take her in to see yoru vet you might ask him/her about the possibility of
Generalized Tremor Syndrome (GTS). GTS is also called steroid responsive tremor syndrome or white shaker dog syndrome. First noticed in small, white dogs such as Maltese and West Highland white terriers, it can occur in dogs of any size, breed, or color. No one knows what causes GTS.
GTS symptoms usually start between 9 months and 2 years of age. Treatment generally consists of corticosteroids like prednisone. Results can often be seen within a week of starting treatment.

Please keep us informed how things go. I hope your husband comes around to see the fact that something is going on, and just like if it were one of his children Tillie too needs to be looked after.

Caché Havanese
"What Lies Behind Us And What Lies Before Us
Are Tiny Matters Compared To What Lies Within Us."

Here are some links to help educate yourself in how to fight for your rights to continue to own and love your animals. Please do not be mislead by PETA or HSUS who is PETA in suits.
CacheHavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
HavaneseSoon
Linda

Submit Photo: 73
Photo Submissions 24 Times in 22 Posts
((((((((Hugs))))))))) If we are going out of town, the boys are coming with me. If they can' t come then it will be short trip no longer than 3 days and I will be calling to find out if they are eating. My boys are my love, lifeline. Hang in there, give Tilly lots of attention, she maybe picking up the stress and the business due to the holidays. Have you tried the thunder jacket?

Dexter & Jack
"One Hav is NOT enough to enjoy the RLH skills!"
HavaneseSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
hope you figure it out. Dogs can get anxiety disorders and even depression just like humans. My friends' german shepherd was on prozac and it really helped! Expensive though.

Are there any vet schools in your area that might be cheaper than a regular vet and might do a more thorough workup? What about an animal trainer/behaviourist? Even a trusted experienced dog person like a trainer but be able to give you some help/advice that might be cheaper than the vet.

Christmas is a stressful time for animals; new sights and sounds in the house, people, decorated trees in the house, change of routine, etc. She might just be feeling the stress of the family.

Another thing to try is more exercise. A tired dog is less likely to get anxious, stressed, aggressive, etc. I nice walk every morning might be good for both of you and good bonding time as well. Sounds like you're pretty stressed out as well.

Hope Tillie doesn't have anything serious and settles down.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #5
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 19 Times in 17 Posts
I feel so horrlbly sick about what you just told us about Tillie.. I know how upset you are hon because I would feel exactly the same way if Whimsy were sick like this. They are like our children! The worst part is that your husband is being so cold about it. I would stay home,take her to the vet and ignore what your DH says. She needs help and you are the only one who can give it to her.( I know it is easy for me to say ignore your husband, but I have been married for 45 years and I would re-home him over Whimsy in a heartbeat) I will be thinking about you and Tillie and hope that you can get things resolved!
Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #6
shimpli
Teresita

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Ohh Tammy, first of all, receive a BIG hug from me. I know exactly how you feel. It must be so difficult to deal with this problem without your DH support. But Tillie is your baby too and you need to do what you think in your heart you should do for her. I hope you find a way to make him understand how important she is for you. Hang in there, try to relax a bit as she might be feeling your anxiety too. We are here for you !!!!

Teresita
Ache and Yunque's mom
shimpli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:37 AM   #7
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this, and will check this thread later for an update from the vet. In the meantime, is she in a car seat in the car?
Old 12-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
lanabanana

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
No advice from me, as I've not experienced anything like what you are describing, but you have my full sympathy! You've received some good advice already and I hope something will help. I can imagine how worried you are.

Hugs!
Alanna, Baxter and Tess
lanabanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:19 AM   #9
Pipersmom
Julie

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
I'm so sorry Tammy and I think you are right and something is wrong. You know her best and should follow your instincts.

I am pretty sure someone on the forum was having issues with their dog, it may have been a year or more ago but this sounds very familiar. Heathers post reminded me of it. Please search the forum for white dog syndrome or white shaker syndrome and read that thread, it may help you.

Hugs to you and Tillie and praying it's nothing serious.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
HalleBerry

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just on the off chance - in the previous testing, did you have her thyroid and bile acid tests done? And have you had her tested for Addison's disease? I would think that YOU know your dog better than anyone - and if you believe something is wrong, something is wrong. The only question is what.

I'm so sorry you are going through this....