at the end of my rope... - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #31
My2Havs

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I can't contribute any more suggestions than what's already been posted. Have you explained to the kids that Tillie might be in pain, just like they are sometimes and it makes her not act normally? Usually kids can relate if you make it personal to them. You know Tillie better than anyone in the family, I hope your husband will come to understand that.
Here's a link to financial assistance that I kept for future reference. Maybe that will help if this situation becomes more complicated. You can explain to your husband that there are resources available.
http://speakingforspot.com/?p=Financ...erinary%20Care
Hope there's good news soon.
Monica, Dooley & Roxie
My2Havs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #32
jabojenny
Jen, Timmy and Mae

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Hi Tammy,
Nothing really to add here except I'll be thinking of you and Tillie. Oh by they way you are very far from being a failure! Keep you chin up!

jabojenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
thanks so much everyone!
I am keeping a very close eye on her and spending some much needed time with her.
She IS going outside to pee a lot. I am going to try to call her vet on Monday (if they are open) and hope that based on her history and symptoms that he will give me another Rx... if not then we will go in. I plan on having a full blood/urine work up done after the 1st of the year asap. I know in my gut something is wrong.
My husband and kids love Tillie, but my husband is SUPER sick and is so overwhelmed with work, I think he is just stressed out and then I am stressed about Tillie and she is feeding off my stress and well... we are just a big ol mess over here.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:33 AM   #34
Murphysmom2011

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Tammy,

I am so sorry to hear about your stress with Tillie. I wished we lived closer and could help you out.

Murphy went through a problem with crystals in his urine/bladder infection last spring. He actually had to go through two rounds of antibiotics and the vet also prescribed Methigel which is a urinary acidifier. methigel was not very expensive, but seemed to help a lot. Once we got the problem cleared up, I switched Murphy to a raw diet and we have not had issues since. A raw diet can be more acidic which can counter balance the alkaline issues which cause problems. Since Murphy and Tillie have the same parents, I wonder if you should contact Jodie to see if this is common in her dogs.

It seems like Tillie is very stressed and with the family members being upset with her it is probably making her worse. I know if my daughter gets upset and yells, Murphy will run into his crate. These dogs definitely key in on our emotions and feelings.

Do you live close enough to U.C. Davis? I know they have a wonderful veterinary program and might be able to help you.

Big hugs from me and Murphy! I really hope you find out what is wrong and life gets better soon!!
Murphysmom2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #35
angiern2004

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Wonder if there is something you can add to Tillie's already established diet to add acidity. I'll be thinking of you and hope to hear if the doc listens and gives you antibiotics without seeing her.

Glad you're planning on a full work up after the first of the year. Maybe then your hubby won't be so stressed, with the holidays past.

HUGS. And you are in no way a failure. Not at all. You're so in tune with your dog that its crazy. Failure is not the word. Frustrated with your hubby and family is more like it.

You're welcome to come down and take her to Trooper's vet. I'd go with you. Might be far for you, but know that the offer stands. Don't forget I'm a hop skip and jump past your mom, off of 65.

Hang in there. You know what is right.

Trooper is a Moptop boy! If only I could think up a registered name...
angiern2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #36
andra

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, take a deep breathe and just exhale and repeat. Feel your whole body relaxing with each breath and visualize your stressors rolling down off of you, like water.

You are a good person, a good mother, wife and furbaby mommy. Right now things are tense and stressful and everybody is triggering each other which is only compounding things. Almost like a perfect storm of tension, anxiety and stress.

This situation WILL resolve itself and your family will go back to a more stable and peaceful place....you will get Tillie checked out and a solution and/or plan will be formulated. I know Dionna has recurrent irritated private parts and we have had a few different medicated creams and washes for the area so I certainly believe that it is possible that Tillie is having continued issues.

I am going to pray for you and your entire family. I am praying for Tillie. I am sending prayers and healing energy to envelope your entire family and praying for your vet to diagnose what is wrong.

Be well. Keep us posted. You have a lot of people supporting you here
andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
irnfit

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 18 Times in 18 Posts
Kodi had personality changes, mood swings and some trembling. It turned out to be his thyroid. Make sure they check that also. Hope you get answers and it is nothing serious.

Michele
Kodi & Shelby's Mom and Julian's Grandma
irnfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
Tammy, my heart is breaking. I know how hard this must be... The urinating does sound like a health issue. The other things could very well be thyroid too. But it also could be behavioral. You say your husband and children don't want anything to do with her anymore... This could be some sort of marking or territorial behavior. Cats have been know to pee "where you live" out of revenge... Dogs don't normally act that way... But have heard of havs being more catlike.

I think you need to rally your family. Poor Tillie has gone from being a beloved family pet to being ignored by everyone but you. And you, her rock, is stressed. The one thing I can say, is deal with this now! Even if there is a medical/physical issue...it has gone on long enough it could become a permanent behavior issue. I watched this happen to my hav-a-niece... Cute little puppy, young hav, everyone loved her... A few problems, including potty problems, and the busy family just ignored her...except my SIL... Who really didn't have enough time... problems got worse... She became aggressive to everyone but my SIL.

Havanese are very sensitive dogs at best. Very impressionable and reactive.

Please, please , please do not take this as critisism. Family dynamics are so hard, and around the holidays especially. But I just don't think you can do this (nor should you have to) without your family on board.

Perhaps this can become a life lesson for your kids... Maybe your DH could get behind that. What a great time of year talk about the value of a life. Commitment to taking care of a living thing through good and bad. And that pets aren't disposable.

Just want to share my own sort of wake up to this. When we added Cash to our pack... I had severe post pupdom deprssession... Little puppy Cash, was terrorizing Jasper with his needle teeth. He was peeing everywhere... And making screeching noises like an orangoutang whenever we left the room. I wanted to send Cash back to the breeder. My DH listened to my whining for a few days and then told me very sternly(which he has never done before or since) "He is not a pair of shoes you can just return." I was silenced, and then mortified at myself. It really hit a chord with me. Cash is happily 6 and now my favorite (at least half the time.)

Good luck. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by Missy; 12-23-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #39
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 14 Times in 14 Posts
You've got to feel the love, Tammy. What a great, caring bunch on this forum. I'm proud to "know" everyone. Keep your chin up. I know you'll get to the bottom of this. Just keep us all posted. Hugs, again, from Tyler and me.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Lizzie'sMom

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
Tammy, my heart is breaking. I know how hard this must be... The urinating does sound like a health issue. The other things could very well be thyroid too. But it also could be behavioral. You say your husband and children don't want anything to do with her anymore... This could be some sort of marking or territorial behavior. Cats have been know to pee "where you live" out of revenge... Dogs don't normally act that way... But have heard of havs being more catlike.

I think you need to rally your family. Poor Tillie has gone from being a beloved family pet to being ignored by everyone but you. And you, her rock, is stressed. The one thing I can say, is deal with this now! Even if there is a medical/physical issue...it has gone on long enough it could become a permanent behavior issue. I watched this happen to my hav-a-niece... Cute little puppy, young hav, everyone loved her... A few problems, including potty problems, and the busy family just ignored her...except my SIL... Who really didn't have enough time... problems got worse... She became aggressive to everyone but my SIL.

Havanese are very sensitive dogs at best. Very impressionable and reactive.

Please, please , please do not take this as critisism. Family dynamics are so hard, and around the holidays especially. But I just don't think you can do this (nor should you have to) without your family on board.

Perhaps this can become a life lesson for your kids... Maybe your DH could get behind that. What a great time of year talk about the value of a life. Commitment to taking care of a living thing through good and bad. And that pets aren't disposable.

Just want to share my own sort of wake up to this. When we added Cash to our pack... I had severe post pupdom deprssession... Little puppy Cash, was terrorizing Jasper with his needle teeth. He was peeing everywhere... And making screeching noises like an orangoutang whenever we left the room. I wanted to send Cash back to the breeder. My DH listened to my whining for a few days and then told me very sternly(which he has never done before or since) "He is not a pair of shoes you can just return." I was silenced, and then mortified at myself. It really hit a chord with me. Cash is happily 6 and now my favorite (at least half the time.)

Good luck. Please keep us posted.
Nice post, Missy.