ACL - advice needed! - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I'm SO glad to hear she's on the mend! She's such a sweet, beautiful little girl!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am going thru ACL recovery with my little one Miya. I hope she survives it well.
leena365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #13
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Hope she will be better soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
HoneyBunny

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good luck to little Miya.. if it helps, Honey is doing really well- improving every day.. She is up to 3 walks a day at 15 minutes each plus some restricted play time (on the floor in a small area) - I try to limit the play to 10 minutes a day, but Honey tests me on that one

Keep us updated on how Miya does!
HoneyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Thanks for the good wishes. This is Miya first surgery and the poor thing is not taking it too well must be the anesthesia they put them under. All I can get into her is some yogurt through a syringe and water. I have finally got her to pee twice a day but no bowel movement yet. Any idea when she will start eating on her own? She is in day after the surgery.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM   #16
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
She should eat unless she is in pain or a picky eater. Fred had patella surgery last April. One of the pain meds caused him to act really strange. He just wasn't himself and was so miserable & skittish. I took him off that one pain med and he was fine after that. I hope recovery goes smoothly!
Old 01-31-2013, 08:45 PM   #17
HoneyBunny

I completely agree with Linda.. Miya may be nauseated with her meds. I did not like the way Honey reacted with her fetanyl patch, but she did fine with the tramadol/rimadyl combo.. in fact, I took her off of them (as directed) 10 days post-op and she had a bit of a setback.. Dr put Honey back on the two and she was fine after a few days, then I weaned her off them a week later... so I would def recommend weaning Miya off of the pain meds/anti inflammtories rather than cold turkey.

Regarding bowel movements, Honey had one the day after she came home but then didn't have one for 2 more days. Dr said it was normal, and sure enough she got back on schedule after that.

What type of ACL surgery did she have? Honey had the traditional.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
leena365
Kashi_Miya

Miya is on tramadol and her antibiotic as well as metacam. I have still had no luck with her eating on her own. Finicky yes that is her and she also does not like to drink too much water. Today she threw up bright yellow fluid which I believe is bile. I don't know if that is a reaction to the yogurt the VET suggested or if its due to a empty stomach. I still have had no bowel movement from her. I just hope that she returns normal soon.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
I"m sorry she hasn't been feeling better yet. I was told that canned unsweetened natural pumpkin (I'm not sure how much) works for both diarrhea and constipation. Have you tried some good canned dog food.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
HoneyBunny

i've given Honey 100% pumpkin before.. about a tablespoon. My breeder actually recommended it if I ever have a problem and she suggested making 'ice cubes' of pumpkin and keep it in a freezer bag.. It does work well for both constipation and diarrhea.

I have a picky eater too, and one thing that I made for Honey which she did gobble up post surgery were meatballs made out of lean ground turkey breast, 100% pumpkin, brown rice and an egg. She LOVES them and it definitely helps with firming up stools if that is an issue. Got the recipe from Julie (Piper's Mom on here)