at the end of my rope... - Page 6 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #51
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Glad things are looking up Tammy. I hope you all enjoy Christmas, knowing that you are on the right tract with Tillie and that, at least, your son is coming around. . Merry Christmas and I hope you get the e-reader you want.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #52
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Tammy, I am sooo glad to read that the vet called you back and that Tillie is getting treatment and that you and the vet have a plan to get to the bottom of this. I so hope that Tillie responds to this treatment. Hopefully, now you can relax a bit and enjoy your Christmas! Best wishes to you and your family, and to that sweet Tillie. May she soon be back to her sweet loving self!
Old 12-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #53
HoneyBunny

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Tammy, I just read through your post and all the responses and want to reiterate that the people on this forum are so kind and caring..

I am so sorry with what you are going through and completely empathize with how you feel - but so glad your vet called in both prescriptions. These dogs do tremble when they are in pain (my Honey has been trembling a lot since her ACL surgery last week & it makes me feel so helpless), and accidents can happen if they are uncomfortable too..

If it is another UTI, then I am sure the antibiotics will help with it.. A few ppl mentioned white dog shaking syndrome - a friend of mine has a maltese who has it & has responded beautifully to treatment.

More than anything, please know that you are a good momma to Tillie and you have so many ppl to support you.

Take care, and keep us updated.
HoneyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #54
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
one day at a time, Tammy. Take her outside as much as possible. You want to remind her where she needs to go. , treat her like an eight week old pup. Merry Christmas.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:24 PM   #55
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Update!

Vet called me back and said that in his opinion and based on her history he thinks she may have a resistant infection or that the crystals are growing in number...
He actually called in TWO prescriptions to the regular pharmacy for her!! Cipro and Keflex... does anyone have any experience with these meds? She'll be getting 2ml's twice a day for 14 days of the Keflex and 1/3 of a tablet of the Cipro for 14 days also.
AND the best part, both meds are only going to cost $20!! My husband can't argue in ANY way with THAT right??
Her vet wants to see her after the 14 days for another unrinalysis and I told him I wanted to a full blood work up at that point too, he agreed it was definitly needed, especially IF she is still having issues.
whew. relieved and thankful. We have a really good vet and I was hopeful that he would be able to help, even on Christmas eve.
Thank you all .. I will surely keep you updated, love you all!!
That is great news, Tammy! And what a relief to be able to get something started even now, before Christmas! I agree with Joyce, I used to get frequent, severe and persistent UTI's, and if they weren't caught (and stopped early enough) would back up into my kidneys. At that time, Cipro was considered a drug of last resort, because they saved it for those who were severely imuno-compromised, like those with end-stage AIDS. But they tried so many other things that they finally tried me on the Cipro, and it worked immediately. It's also one of the few antibiotics that reaches the same blood levels quickly, whether administered by IV or orally. So it gets into the system fast. Now there are newer drugs for antibiotic-resistant infections and imuno-compromised people, so Cipro is used more often in less critical applications.

Also remember how long Robbie's boy was sick with his UTI, and the strange symptoms... He had trouble pooping, seemed to have a sore back, and I think other symptoms as well.

Anyway, I hope it helps her FAST and you have a new doggy again before long!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #56
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
thanks everyone!

Yes, Dave, as soon as the accident happened the x-pen was back up. I am taking her out every hour, sometimes she asks to go more often, sometimes she'll go a few hours. Another odd thing is that she isn't drinking. at all. from her water dish. This started a few weeks ago. I have been adding 1/4 cup of water to her meals just to keep her hydrated...
So, ya. Antibiotics started, gates up. She isn't even allowed down the hall toward the bedrooms unless it is time for HER to go to bed (in her crate as always). We have a plan ... Her trembling isn't all the time, so I'm thinking that's good. Although I DID notice her trembling more in the morning and this morning for the first time I saw her trembling while she was trying to pee. And she pee's forever... At first I kept thinking, WOW, Till, that was a BIG pee .. now I realize when you have a UTI it hurts and you push and push thinking you need to pee but barely any dribbles out ... I think that is what's going on. She is alseep at the foot of my recliner, passed out blissfully, no trembling.
Old 12-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #57
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
thanks everyone!

Yes, Dave, as soon as the accident happened the x-pen was back up. I am taking her out every hour, sometimes she asks to go more often, sometimes she'll go a few hours. Another odd thing is that she isn't drinking. at all. from her water dish. This started a few weeks ago. I have been adding 1/4 cup of water to her meals just to keep her hydrated...
Tammy, if she's not drinking, make sure you check her gums regularly. If they start to look dark, are dry or tacky, or don't change quickly from white back to a healthy pink if you press on them, it is a sign she is getting really dehydrated, and needs IV or sub-cu fluids. This is especially important for you to watch for over the next day or so, before you can get her to the regular vet. If she becomes dehydrated, it is a medical emergency.

Here's a good article on what to watch for.

http://www.the-happy-dog-spot.com/de...n-in-dogs.html

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #58
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
yes, thanks for that Karen! I am checking her gums frequently. I tried to do the
"pinch the nape of her neck and see if the skin flattens or tents" thing... but all I could do was grab hair! ha ha and then when I DID get her neck I couldn't SEE what it was doing cause of all the hair! fur ball. lol
Got the meds, giving her her first dose in a bit ... does anyone know if it's okay to give the Keflex AND the cipro near the same time? She needs 1 of them twice a day and one of them only once a day.
It is such an enormous blessing that I work at a school and will be able to be with her 24/7 over the next 2 1/2 weeks.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #59
HalleBerry

Yes, you can give them at the same time - keflex WILL upset her stomach, so try to give them after she eats, ok? Fingers & toes crossed this will help her!!!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #60
HoneyBunny

Tammy - TOTALLY agree with you about having off for the few weeks - I'm a teacher and purposely selected last Monday for the surgery so I could take a few personal days and then have this vacation.

And I agree with the post above with the meds, you can take them both at once.

Take care!
HoneyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates HoneyBunny Great Photo:
JANEOC (12-24-2012)