Christmas Emergency! - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #11
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Back on the 80's, when we had an Afghan Hound, she got into my daughter's Easter basket and ate a large chocolate bunny. At the time, we knew nothing about chocolate being lethal to dogs, so didn't think anything about it. We were very lucky, as she never had any ill effects of any kind. In that case, ignorance was bliss!
About 2 or 3 years ago, Tyler ate almost half a bar of Dove soap which had slipped out of the soap dish onto the floor of the shower. I knew nothing about it, until he started vomiting white foam in the backyard. When I found out what he had gotten into, I called the Poison Control hot line and, thankfully, learned that other than an upset tummy for a while, there were no ingredients in that particular soap which would be harmful to him. Your certainly have to watch them every minute, especially if they are not under your nose and being very quite.
Glad you were on top of this right away and hope everything is okay.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
oh my gosh!!! So thankful Murphy is okay and that you were able to get him right to the vet!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
dodrop82

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
So glad you acted promptly, and that Murphy is doing well!!! Back in the early 90's, when my children were little, we had a yorkie, a sheltie, a cocker and a husky. The kids used to push the kitchen chair up to the counter and watch me, help me, and chat while I was cooking.
After one of these days when they had the chair to the counter, we had gone uptown for one reason or another. When we got back, we discovered the cocker, Priscilla, had gotten on the chair, up onto the counter, and had gotten into a bag of chocolate chips that were on the counter and had eaten the whole bag. She threw up and had diarrhia for a couple days, then was back to normal. She was about a month pregnant at the time. She had 4 beautiful pups and all seemed normal for awhile, but as time passed, she got skinnier and skinnier. At first we blamed it on nursing the pups, until it got to the point it wasn't normal skinny anymore. We took her to the vet, and discovered her organs were shutting down.
Apparently the chocolate had done damage to her organs and they just continued to deteriate. We put her to sleep when the pups were 5 weeks old. It was a devastating time for me. I was glad to be able to keep one of her pups and have my Cilla live on in her baby, Haley! My lesson was harsh!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #14
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
ahhh Stacy that's sad.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
So sorry to hear about Cilla, Stacy. That must have been devastating. Glad you have one of her pups to hug.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote