at the end of my rope... - Page 9 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 11:26 AM   #81
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Well, last night at bedtime, my husband was 'putting Tillie to bed' down at her crate talking to her and petting her when he discovered HER bed was wet! I am so very confused... since I am home all day, every day right now she only goes in her crate at night. She has NEVER wet her crate before. EVER. ?? What the heck is going on???

We aren't sure what is causing the trembling, she still does it, mainly in the mornings... I am just so lost and confused, fearing I may never get my sweet Tillie back.
As for the walking, it has been raining so much we haven't gone for a walk since Christmas Eve ...
so frustrated and dumbfounded.
In an earlier post someone talked about the shaking. That could be your ticket to all the blood work and stuff and be covered under your insurance. I bet the accident was related to the UTI. It is odd she picked her bed I guess its better than your bed. I'm hoping the medications will work. Did you consider not so much Hamburger? or did you say your vet thought its not food related?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #82
HalleBerry

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Even if you don't want to run the tests, I'd ask your vet about either thyroid disease or Addisons disease and see what they think of the combined symptoms of muscle tremors, behavior change, and frequent urination.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #83
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Tammy, is the door to her crate closed at night? Augie is being treated for a UTI right now as well. Not being able to hold it all night was my first indication that there was a problem. This is his second UTI, and finding wet spots on the throw rug in front of the front door, I knew something was wrong as he has always been so reliable after about a year or so of age. But with the UTI, he just can't hold it all night. I have been sleeping on the couch - I am a light sleeper - and he will come to me and paw at me when he has to go out. It has been about 3 a.m. This morning it was 4:30, so I am hoping he will slowly recover here and can last all night again. My guys don't have access to bedrooms. Finn is still a work in progress; I had to start taking him out frequently a couple months back, and treat and praise him, and (knock on wood) he is doing pretty well again. Augie is not locked in his crate at night. His crate is located in the living room, and there is also another little bed in the living room, or he sleep for awhile in a chair. Seldom does he sleep in the same spot all night. Thank goodness he didn't choose a corner on carpeting for his accidents. For whatever reason, he chose the throw rug, on tile, in front of the front door. Maybe because it is similar in shape and color to the UgoDog that he was trained on.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #84
Milo's Mom
Joyce

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
It can take awhile for a UTI to clear up I would wait a little longer for the medication to work. It can also take time to find the best antibiotic. I can also say from personal experience that a UTI can be very painful - that could account for the shaking. Just some ideas to consider.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #85
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
I agree with Joyce. I had a UTI once or twice. It felt like my insides were turning inside out when I had to go. I was surprised that Augie didn't seem to show pain.

I forgot to mention that Augie had to go way more often than the 3 a.m. time I mentioned taking him out for. The boys' usual times at night are 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. I was taking Augie at 10 p.m., 12 a.m., 3 a.m. and 6 a.m., and during the day he was looking at me to go out every 1.5 to 2 hours. We went to the vet exactly a week ago, and it is just in the last couple of days that I see the times lengthening between going out.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #86
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
interesting... okay, I will wait awhile more before panicing TOO much.
I am already planning on doing a full blood work up looking at thyroid function and everything else everyone has mentioned... sigh.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #87
HalleBerry

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm just worried.... it wasn't that long ago that you were looking at doing therapy work with Tillie - and now she has changed so much.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #88
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Well, last night at bedtime, my husband was 'putting Tillie to bed' down at her crate talking to her and petting her when he discovered HER bed was wet! I am so very confused... since I am home all day, every day right now she only goes in her crate at night. She has NEVER wet her crate before. EVER. ?? What the heck is going on???

We aren't sure what is causing the trembling, she still does it, mainly in the mornings... I am just so lost and confused, fearing I may never get my sweet Tillie back.
As for the walking, it has been raining so much we haven't gone for a walk since Christmas Eve ...
so frustrated and dumbfounded.
I would say that if she is wetting her crate, which she has NEVER done before, it is a pretty sure sign that she is VERY uncomfortable. For now, I'd just give her old towels for bedding, so that you can easily change and launder them if she wets during the night again. I wouldn't say ANYTHING to her about it. I suspect she hates wetting her bed.

I don't think it's that surprising that the meds haven't completely solved the problem yet. If she has crystals, I think it takes a while for those to dissolve again.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #89
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalleBerry View Post
I'm just worried.... it wasn't that long ago that you were looking at doing therapy work with Tillie - and now she has changed so much.
yes. breaks my heart in so many ways.
The other day the kids and I were in Barnes and Noble and the therapy group I was looking into joining was there doing Christmas wrapping as a fund raiser, with thier dogs and I had the horrible realization that at this point it will never happen for us. Those dogs were so calm and confident and Tillie has deteriorated so much in the past 2 months she rarely leaves the house anymore because it stresses her SO much. breaks me heart. and I can't imagine she's very happy either.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #90
TilliesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I would say that if she is wetting her crate, which she has NEVER done before, it is a pretty sure sign that she is VERY uncomfortable. For now, I'd just give her old towels for bedding, so that you can easily change and launder them if she wets during the night again. I wouldn't say ANYTHING to her about it. I suspect she hates wetting her bed.

I don't think it's that surprising that the meds haven't completely solved the problem yet. If she has crystals, I think it takes a while for those to dissolve again.
okay, I will just keep hoping and praying that the meds are able to help her... the fact that she isn't drinking really upsets me also. I am now adding so much water to her meals she is basically drinking them. sigh.

The vet did mention something about incontinence being a possiblilty, especially if these "accidents" occur where she sleeps. (i.e. her crate. our beds?) and it is a HUGE amount of pee when is does happen, not little spots more typically of uti's. Something else we will be looking into. I remembered about it after my husband found her crate soaked last night...