at the end of my rope... - Page 10 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #91
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Tammy, Tillie is still a young dog. I guess I would be very surprised if what is going on is incontinence, although I know it is not unheard of. Augie's peeing on the rug has not been 'small amounts'. Try not to stress over her accidents and let the antibiotics have a chance to work, get her in for a recheck and further testing and go from there. It is my feeling that Tillie can't have gone from the happy dog you have described in the not too distant past, to the dog she is now without it being a medical issue/illness. Just as with humans, I am sure there is a huge variance with the way dogs may react to illness as well as different thresholds of pain. And she is no doubt frightened and doesn't understand why she doesn't feel right and is confused as to why the attitude of some members of her family have changed toward her. Augie doesn't seem to get nasty or aggressive or shake or show any signs of pain - he sort of gets quiet and lays around. Tillie must be getting some fluids from the liquid you are adding to her meals, but if you are concerned she isn't getting enough, the vet can inject fluid under her skin on her back. That is what our vet did with Augie the first time he got UTI and the crystals. And, like I mentioned in a previous post, if she is locked in a crate at night, and has to potty, of course she is going to pee in her sleeping area, whether she wants to or not.

My heart goes out to you, Tammy. I am so sorry you are having this worry over Tillie and hope that she is SOON on the mend.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #92
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Thank you Linda! so glad I am not going through this alone!!

Well, the sun is out here and the kids and I went for a walk with Tillie. I brought treats to encourage her along ... she did great!!! She was looking up at me eyes shining, smiling and trotting along like the sweet girl I know she is. Seriously, I almost cried several times. I never wanted the walk to end. Although I didn't want to push her. We walked for about 20-30 minutes and she loved every second!!! I feel like this was the encouragement we BOTH needed that she IS still in there that she WANTS to be herself again and is trying so hard. The kids were overjoyed to have thier 'old Tillie' back ... she even had the "Zoomies" when we got home!! I'm welling up just remembering her on our walk, looking up at me, hair blowing in the breeze, smiling.
I've missed that smile so much.

I have hope that we are on the right track. And I AM going to be doing all of the bloodwork and another urinalysis/culture once this 2 week round of antibiotics is done.
thanks for always being here for me. and Tillie.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #93
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
hang tough Tammy, patience is indeed a virtue.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #94
HalleBerry

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh, I'm so glad you ALL had a good time - that's wonderful news!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #95
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
It is my feeling that Tillie can't have gone from the happy dog you have described in the not too distant past, to the dog she is now without it being a medical issue/illness. Just as with humans, I am sure there is a huge variance with the way dogs may react to illness as well as different thresholds of pain.
I agree. This has just come on too suddenly, and is affecting her in too many different ways for me to believe there isn't a physical basis to it. But it may take patience, time, and some sleuth work to figure out exactly what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Tillie must be getting some fluids from the liquid you are adding to her meals, but if you are concerned she isn't getting enough, the vet can inject fluid under her skin on her back. That is what our vet did with Augie the first time he got UTI and the crystals.
If she needs it often enough, the vet can even set you up with the fluids and needles to do it yourself... it's not hard. We had VERY elderly cat who needed fluids regularly through her last 18 months of life. We just gave them to her at home every evening. She didn't even mind the needle.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #96
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Thank you Linda! so glad I am not going through this alone!!

Well, the sun is out here and the kids and I went for a walk with Tillie. I brought treats to encourage her along ... she did great!!! She was looking up at me eyes shining, smiling and trotting along like the sweet girl I know she is. Seriously, I almost cried several times. I never wanted the walk to end. Although I didn't want to push her. We walked for about 20-30 minutes and she loved every second!!! I feel like this was the encouragement we BOTH needed that she IS still in there that she WANTS to be herself again and is trying so hard. The kids were overjoyed to have thier 'old Tillie' back ... she even had the "Zoomies" when we got home!! I'm welling up just remembering her on our walk, looking up at me, hair blowing in the breeze, smiling.
I've missed that smile so much.

I have hope that we are on the right track. And I AM going to be doing all of the bloodwork and another urinalysis/culture once this 2 week round of antibiotics is done.
thanks for always being here for me. and Tillie.
That's great, Tammy! Also try VERY hard to stay calm about the situation yourself. Just like kids (or even moreso), dogs pick up on their own owners being worried and upset. If YOU appear calm and confident, it will be easier for her, and you'll find that by WORKING on the "calm, confident demeanor", you will start FEELING less upset about the situation too. Think of it as a puzzle to be worked out methodically, but where you KNOW there IS an answer. Not some scary, mysterious, insurmountable problem.

BTW, even if you were to find that she she is incontinent, there are good drugs that can be used to help control it, or in a worst case scenario, you learn to manage it.

There is a woman who competes in Rally around here who has a Corgi who is paralyzed from the middle of his back on. He has no movement in his hind legs, not can he eliminate on his own. Now THAT might seem like an insurmountable problem, but not for them! The dog has been like this for 5 years. He has a cart, and happily trundles along with that, even playing in the yard with her other Corgis. She has to "express" him into a diaper several times a day, but they've figured it out and it works for them! As I said, he even compete in APDT Rally, where a dog can have exercise modifications for disabilities. Obviously, he can't jump with the cart, so he goes through the standards, where the jump would be instead. Everything else, he does amazingly well, considering that he has to figure out how to get the cart into position as well as his body!

I guess my point is that if this lady was able to figure out how to deal with this really devastating injury, I have complete faith that, in time and with patience, you'll figure out what's going on with Tillie and have your wonderful, happy companion back, one way or another!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #97
TilliesMom

Thanks Karen! Patience is hard for me, not a virtue I have been given in abundance, let's say that. Having everyone behind me here on the forum and the glimpse of my smiling girl today has me more determined than ever to get her back. and I will. somehow. someway. some day. My gut tells me she will be okay soon. she HAS to be.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #98
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
That's it Tammy...positive thinking I am sorry to read about Tillie's setback. I hope things turn around for the best soon.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #99
whimsy
Evelyn

Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
keep the faith!
Old 12-27-2012, 10:36 PM   #100
angiern2004

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
Thanks Karen! Patience is hard for me, not a virtue I have been given in abundance, let's say that. Having everyone behind me here on the forum and the glimpse of my smiling girl today has me more determined than ever to get her back. and I will. somehow. someway. some day. My gut tells me she will be okay soon. she HAS to be.
This!

Trooper is a Moptop boy! If only I could think up a registered name...
angiern2004 is offline   Reply With Quote