How Much Sleep is Too Much? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
How Much Sleep is Too Much?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #1
Olive'smom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
How Much Sleep is Too Much?

Hey folks! My boy Olive is 4 months now and I'm a little worried about him. Yesterday we flew home to NYC from Park City, UT. He only ate about half his breakfast before we left. When we got home in the afternoon he slept most of the evening (at least 5 hours, even after sleeping the whole 4 hr plane ride!), ate only half his dinner, and then slept through the night. Today he woke up late, hardly touched his breakfast, had a walk, and has been sleeping for at least 5-6 hours straight. He'll get up from time to time and move to a new spot, but he just seems so sleepy! Is it possible that this is just recovery from traveling? I wouldn't be worried, but he normally inhales his food as soon as we put it down. Other than the sleep, low appetite, and a dry nose (this might be an old wive's tale) nothing seems wrong with him and I don't want to pay for an unnecessary vet visit. Anybody have any experience with this type of thing? Thanks!
Olive'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I would say, if he is acting very different than he normally does, take him to the vet. I would give it a couple of days though, because he could be jet lagged.I hope he is ok.

My guys sleep all day except for their hikes. So I am not alarmed when I see them sleeping all day long.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I wouldn't be alarmed by lots of sleeping (especially after a long plane trip... that takes it out of humans too!!!) as long as he was bright and active inbetween. But if he's not eating well and is lethargic when he IS awake, I think I'd have the vet check him out if he's still acting that way tomorrow.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sleep puppy