yeast infections in ears? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #21
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Submit Photo: 16
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Don't be so sure... There ARE viruses that infect Macs too (and I am a totally Apple person). In fact, I was told at the Apple store recently, that although it's rare, viruses can even find their way into iPads. So we aren't TOTALLY immune. I would NEVER click a link from an unknown source!
Yes, that's the rumor . . .but I've been all Mac since 1988 . . .zero viruses and I click. I'm sure there may be something out there . . .but it's so rare, my chances of being struck twice by lightning are greater. With the plethora of real world concerns to fret over, I can't let fear of computer viruses keep me up at night. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I weren't all Mac or came from a PC world, but Mac is all I've ever known.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com App

ClaireVoyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgiese View Post
I spent the first three years in the vets office due to Hank's ear infections. Finally I found a vet who said the infections were probably allergy related. I changed his food to Kirkland (Costco) brand four years ago and he's only had one infection in that time.
Did the vet figure out what ingredient in the food you were using was causing the allergy?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:46 PM   #23
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
DJango had yeast infections as a puppy. The vet realized it was due to a beef allergy. From what I recall (9 years ago) the vet said that beef allergies rear their ugly head via yeast infection in ears as a puppy. If she's eating a beef based diet maybe consider changing it, this could be the culprit (or it could be molds and mildews outside which is always an on going problem for us.)
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Nominates littlebuddy Great Photo:
ClaireVoyant (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #24
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
DJango had yeast infections as a puppy. The vet realized it was due to a beef allergy. From what I recall (9 years ago) the vet said that beef allergies rear their ugly head via yeast infection in ears as a puppy. If she's eating a beef based diet maybe consider changing it, this could be the culprit (or it could be molds and mildews outside which is always an on going problem for us.)
Beef doesn't really agree with Isabella so aside from bulky sticks, don't give her beef. But might have considered giving it a try with Raider in the future. Since floppy eared dogs are more prone to yeast infections, this is excellent to know and why I love this place so much. Thank you!!!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #25
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Did I miss something with the Jenny posts? Pixie gets yeasty ears now and again. Both my vet and groomer recommended Zymox. The drops and the cleaner are wonderful and always work.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #26
ClaireVoyant
Mom to Isabella & Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiesmom View Post
Did I miss something with the Jenny posts?.
Just some pesky spam by someone advising not to seek medical treatment but buy a book instead.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #27
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Oh, ok thanks! I hope all of the ear issues on the forum go away asap!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #28
Dougy

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dougy had a yeast infection which was controlled by ear drops (which he hated). My groomer has been a small dog breeder for 40 odd years and recommended a powder called "Thornit" Canker Powder for ear mites - available on line from the UK. I got some, followed the instructions - a small pinch rubbed around the outside of the ear canal once a week and have had no problem since. Old fashioned remedy - no antibiotics and so far it seems to work.
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #29
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougy View Post
Dougy had a yeast infection which was controlled by ear drops (which he hated). My groomer has been a small dog breeder for 40 odd years and recommended a powder called "Thornit" Canker Powder for ear mites - available on line from the UK. I got some, followed the instructions - a small pinch rubbed around the outside of the ear canal once a week and have had no problem since. Old fashioned remedy - no antibiotics and so far it seems to work.
Yes, but he might have had no further problem even if you'd done NOTHING! Kodi had a yeast infection when he was a small puppy, but has never had one again, and I don't do a thing (after treating that first infection). The vet told me that yeast infections are very common in young puppies for the same reason small children get ear infections... the ear canal is simply smaller, with less airflow. When they get a bit bigger, with better airflow, they just don't get them as commonly.

So, I guess if you have a dog who gets chronic yeast infections, it might make sense to use something routinely, but just because a dog has had a yeast infection as a puppy, I wouldn't start treating them regularly with anything.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 PM   #30
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Yes, but he might have had no further problem even if you'd done NOTHING! Kodi had a yeast infection when he was a small puppy, but has never had one again, and I don't do a thing (after treating that first infection). The vet told me that yeast infections are very common in young puppies for the same reason small children get ear infections... the ear canal is simply smaller, with less airflow. When they get a bit bigger, with better airflow, they just don't get them as commonly.

So, I guess if you have a dog who gets chronic yeast infections, it might make sense to use something routinely, but just because a dog has had a yeast infection as a puppy, I wouldn't start treating them regularly with anything.
I have one of each. Augie had a yeast infection as a young pup - 3 months old. Vet cleaned his ears, he was treated, and has been fine since. He has the tiniest, cutest little ears. Finn is another story - I have to put drops in his ears every couple of days or so as he is prone to yeasty ears. And his are much larger, with larger looking openings and I would think better airflow.