Cool grooming trick - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #11
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
My guys have wet feet a lot. I try to towel dry them, but they go out several times a day to potty and our grass here is probably wet ten months of the year.

Dave, have you heard of other instances of dogs getting this eczema thing after one bath and being damp for a day??? I would wonder more about a reaction to the shampoo or it not being well rinsed out.
a [past groomer told us to make sure they dry good. I think it's good to be safe, as climate conditions vary so much and if a dog is damp ,it could become a problem. Better safe than sorry. Besides I found that if Molly isn't all dry ,that she tends to knot more.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #12
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Linda, I feel for you! When I lived in Oak Harbor it was impossible to keep Tucker's feet dry without spending a half hour drying and brushing after each potty trip. Of course, each time he was dry he decided he had to go out again--and you don't dare NOT let them out, then! Ugh!! I kept his pads clear of hair, maybe that helped to prevent problems for us.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #13
veridea

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm...I always let Pickles air dry in our apartment, but he's in a puppy cut, and I only ever bathe him in the evenings after he's done going outside for the day. (And I turn the heat up). He's usually fully dry in about an hour and a half. I'm wondering if I should be worried about this?
veridea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #14
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheri View Post
Linda, I feel for you! When I lived in Oak Harbor it was impossible to keep Tucker's feet dry without spending a half hour drying and brushing after each potty trip. Of course, each time he was dry he decided he had to go out again--and you don't dare NOT let them out, then! Ugh!! I kept his pads clear of hair, maybe that helped to prevent problems for us.
Yep, Sheri. I used to try to dry the feet when I brought Augie in. But it is so time consuming, and then with two dogs, that is all I would get done. I try to keep the hair trimmed from their paws too, and I try to soak up as much as I can with a towel when I bring them in, but it is still damp. Dogs get wet - there are a lot of outdoor dogs. I have a hard time believing that there wasn't something else going on that caused the problem with the dog in the video besides being damp for a day. I wouldn't want these guys sitting outside in the cold when they are damp, for sure. But to finish drying off in our homes being a problem? Ha - it was so much easier when my guys used the UgoDog exclusively. And it was even a bigger issue the few days last year when we had snow, because those snowballs had to be melted off first. If I had to deal with that on a daily basis, the boys would definitely be using UgoDog exclusively. If I remember, I will quiz my vet about this topic next time we visit.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
As a groomer, I tell my clients all of the time the importance of a proper bath. Many people say they can bathe their dogs at home, which for some breeds it is fine - but others will benefit from going to a groomer. We are able to thoroughly wash the hair clean, completely dry the dog, AND blow out all of the undercoat, especially on double coat and short coats like Akitas, huskies, labs, etc. We can also see what is going on at the skin level to report to the client if we notice anything odd. Some owners can buy the force dryer and do it at their home, but most complain they don't want the hair everywhere. And if you have ever forced dried a double coat like a Husky, Keeshond, or Collie - you know the "snow" that happens.

Drop coats like Havanese, shih tzus, maltese dry very quickly even under a fan, so drying them like that is okay. I will use a box fan with no heat to dry some dogs who are very fearful of the dryer, especially on the head. However, even after drying with the fan, I always finish with the force dryer to make sure everything is completely dry. If the environment is very humid, it will take longer to dry, even with a force dryer. I'm in Houston - I have a dehumidifer in my salon and when I turn it on in the morning, it's at 95% humidity! I have noticed a huge difference in using a dehumidifier.

I wonder if the dog in the video had packed undercoat when he was bathed. Packed undercoat traps moisture and never allows the skin to dry. It is similar to heavily matted dogs where mildew and bacteria can grow at the skin level. Notice how the area that was affected is the neck area - a heavily coated area and also one where there is increased friction due to wearing a collar. This can cause matting and packed undercoat. Another thing - if there is packed undercoat, perhaps the shampoo was not rinsed out all of the way? Shampoo left on the coat will cause itchy skin and flaking. Maybe even an allergic reaction?

Last edited by tokipoke; 12-29-2012 at 12:29 AM.
tokipoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #16
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokipoke View Post
As a groomer, I tell my clients all of the time the importance of a proper bath. Many people say they can bathe their dogs at home, which for some breeds it is fine - but others will benefit from going to a groomer. We are able to thoroughly wash the hair clean, completely dry the dog, AND blow out all of the undercoat, especially on double coat and short coats like Akitas, huskies, labs, etc. We can also see what is going on at the skin level to report to the client if we notice anything odd. Some owners can buy the force dryer and do it at their home, but most complain they don't want the hair everywhere. And if you have ever forced dried a double coat like a Husky, Keeshond, or Collie - you know the "snow" that happens.

Drop coats like Havanese, shih tzus, maltese dry very quickly even under a fan, so drying them like that is okay. I will use a box fan with no heat to dry some dogs who are very fearful of the dryer, especially on the head. However, even after drying with the fan, I always finish with the force dryer to make sure everything is completely dry. If the environment is very humid, it will take longer to dry, even with a force dryer. I'm in Houston - I have a dehumidifer in my salon and when I turn it on in the morning, it's at 95% humidity! I have noticed a huge difference in using a dehumidifier.

I wonder if the dog in the video had packed undercoat when he was bathed. Packed undercoat traps moisture and never allows the skin to dry. It is similar to heavily matted dogs where mildew and bacteria can grow at the skin level. Notice how the area that was affected is the neck area - a heavily coated area and also one where there is increased friction due to wearing a collar. This can cause matting and packed undercoat. Another thing - if there is packed undercoat, perhaps the shampoo was not rinsed out all of the way? Shampoo left on the coat will cause itchy skin and flaking. Maybe even an allergic reaction?
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have been bathing Doug with the help of my husband however have got a groomer in to show me how to do it and also trim around his feet, eyes etc. I was down the beach today when a dog groomer came up to me and asked about if I was getting him professionally groomed. She picked him up and dropped him! I was so mad. Luckily he landed ok and seemed unphased for the rest of his walk. Ppl are so annoying sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #17
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have been bathing Doug with the help of my husband however have got a groomer in to show me how to do it and also trim around his feet, eyes etc. I was down the beach today when a dog groomer came up to me and asked about if I was getting him professionally groomed. She picked him up and dropped him! I was so mad. Luckily he landed ok and seemed unphased for the rest of his walk. Ppl are so annoying sometimes.
[/url][/color]
OH MY GOSH!??? just for the future, NEVER let anyone pick up your pup!!
Old 12-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #18
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
What TilliesMom said! That is so rude to pick up someone's dog without asking. And even if someone asked, my answer would be no! It would be Louis's answer too cause he doesn't let strangers pick him up. I ask clients that come into my salon if it's okay if I pet their pet! It's courtesy, and not all dogs will react the same way to petting/being picked up.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for that. I actually don't know how to handle those situations I was so shocked when she just picked him up!! And horrified with what happened next. When I was walking Doug the other day a child about 8 stopped me and she even had the manners to say "can I please pat your dog."

I'm so not a dog person, generally im quote afraid of them and have never have owned one before that I don't know what the normal interaction is like with people that come up so from now ill just say no and where they just pick him up maybe grab him back!!

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #20
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia View Post
Thanks for that. I actually don't know how to handle those situations I was so shocked when she just picked him up!! And horrified with what happened next. When I was walking Doug the other day a child about 8 stopped me and she even had the manners to say "can I please pat your dog."

I'm so not a dog person, generally im quote afraid of them and have never have owned one before that I don't know what the normal interaction is like with people that come up so from now ill just say no and where they just pick him up maybe grab him back!!

Yes, unfortunately you will find that you quite often have to intervene for your pup. People can be really stupid. You REALLY have to step in BEFORE they even get the idea to try and pick him up. You can pick him up yourself so they can pet him at eye level. Or... many people just tell strangers that their dog bites, even if it's not true at all!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote