Help needed - suggestions for ill traveling dog? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:23 AM   #31
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthi View Post
My Otis has always gotten car sick. He rides just fine in our rv, but in the car, he always got sick. Our final solution, was to just not feed him first thing in the mornings, and go for a ride. We did this constantly and usually had to clean up when we got home. We went on a few long trips, and, yep, had to clean up. So, we just kept on taking him constanly with us, and being happy and cheerful, and talking to him all the time. Well, He is 10 months old and he loves riding, and no more throwing up. In the beginning, we tried all the different ways of riding. In the crate, booster seat, laps, and by himself. It didnt matter. I think just taking him constantly riding did the trick. No, it isnt fun cleaning up, and bathing him each time, but, it was worth it. Good luck.
I think this has a lot to do with it. Taking them for rides as pups so they get used to the car. I've been taking my guys in the car since the day I got them as wee pups. They would run errands with me and go for daily hikes. Most of my hikes were within 5 minutes of my house.
They also had car seats, so they could look out the window. I really think that helped. Bella was my only one who would shake out of fear. I got her as an older pup at 7 months old. She is now 8 years old and enjoys the car rides when she knows where we are going. Short rides she enjoys, but long rides she starts to get nervous and climbs into Scudder's car seat with him. She will lie on top of him for comfort.

My guys still ride in my car on a daily basis to go on hikes. It's the highlight of their day
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #32
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthi View Post
My Otis has always gotten car sick. He rides just fine in our rv, but in the car, he always got sick. Our final solution, was to just not feed him first thing in the mornings, and go for a ride. We did this constantly and usually had to clean up when we got home. We went on a few long trips, and, yep, had to clean up. So, we just kept on taking him constanly with us, and being happy and cheerful, and talking to him all the time. Well, He is 10 months old and he loves riding, and no more throwing up. In the beginning, we tried all the different ways of riding. In the crate, booster seat, laps, and by himself. It didnt matter. I think just taking him constantly riding did the trick. No, it isnt fun cleaning up, and bathing him each time, but, it was worth it. Good luck.
Kodi didn't vomit past the first couple of times, but he DID whine and drool and act uncomfortable. We did just what you did... EVERY SINGLE DAY we took him for a ride. Short ones to start with, then longer. We made sure that as many as possible lead to fun activities like puppy class or a walk in the woods. It took a while, but he got completely used to it. Now, the minute you say, "Kodi up!", he's ready to RUN to the car and jump in... which is a good thing, as he STILL goes everyplace dogs are allowed with us!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #33
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Logan too had bad car sickness - and would throw up even within a 10 minute drive to the vets office. We always just kept him home.
But.. We spend a couple weeks each year at the beach and take the pups with us. That drive is about 2 1/2 hours and he ALWAYS threw up.

I know most will have negative to say (I have heard it all so you don't need to repeat ) but I use Cerenia with him on long trips. It is an anti-vomit medication that the vets use for after surgery. I only give him 1/2 of the prescribed amount and he does fine - barely drools and never has thrown up on it. I understand the idea of "drugging" your pup - but my feeling is that he is MISERABLE when he is drooling, and vomiting, and he is very stressed by it - so every so often, on long trips, I feel it is better to use the Cerenia, than to have him so stressed.

I ONLY use it for long trips. Since then Logan has gone to class and been certified as CGC and Certified Therapy dog. So now, he goes out several times a month to facilities and he is getting MUCH better on the short trips.
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #34
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I have never had this problem however I have seen posted in the vets office Cerenia which is specifically for motion sickness. I know nothing about it but maybe it's worth talking to your vet about it and see if it might help your dog.
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:09 PM   #35
Dougy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cerenia works fine - it does'nt make them sleepy or anything and they are effective for about 24 hours. We used to give Dougy his with his meal the night before travel and he would spend the whole trip either sleeping or looking bored!

I just don't like giving him drugs and contributing to the drug companies obscene profits.
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote