How do you know if your hav is cold? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
I think this is a great question! Laila and Lily sleep in crates, and our room is about 60 at night so I do worry about them. Neither one makes a peep, and both have beds with sides and I have a blanket over their crates. But I still worry....Will they whine or cry if they are cold??

Lexi and Logan are in bed with us so I don't worry about them, as they will snuggle next to us if they get chilly.
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #12
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Django sometimes sleeps right up against me. I always thought it was because he just wanted to snuggle not because he's cold. Hmmm.
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Fred has never really had a cold nose. He is healthy but has always had a warmer nose than scuds and Bella. He runs on the warm side anyway. It's when I see him curled up like a sardine that makes me touch his nose. At this moment his nose is usually cold. That's when the sweater goes on. I know an ice cold nose is not normal for him. I can also tell when scuds is cold because he curls up and buries his face him his fur. Bella just shivers which is a dead give away
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
noses are supposed to be cold. several vets have told me that. BUT just b/c their nose is warm, doesn't mean anything either, although if their nose is always warm, that could mean something.

My first dog, unbenounced to me, was from a BYB, and she was inbred at least a couple of generations, had kidney failure at the cellular level, something you only read about in textbooks. anyway, toward the end of her short life, her nose was always warm.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #15
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
Fred has never really had a cold nose. He is healthy but has always had a warmer nose than scuds and Bella. He runs on the warm side anyway. It's when I see him curled up like a sardine that makes me touch his nose. At this moment his nose is usually cold. That's when the sweater goes on. I know an ice cold nose is not normal for him. I can also tell when scuds is cold because he curls up and buries his face him his fur. Bella just shivers which is a dead give away
yeah Linda I'd be cold at your house too., when you keep it at 50 degrees lol.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
lfung5
LINDA

LOL! 62 Dave
Old 12-31-2012, 04:43 PM   #17
lfung5
LINDA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
noses are supposed to be cold. several vets have told me that. BUT just b/c their nose is warm, doesn't mean anything either, although if their nose is always warm, that could mean something.

My first dog, unbenounced to me, was from a BYB, and she was inbred at least a couple of generations, had kidney failure at the cellular level, something you only read about in textbooks. anyway, toward the end of her short life, her nose was always warm.

Yikes! You had me worried so i just checked his nose. It is damp and cool, but not super cold. I guess his nose gets warm when he is hot. He runs so hot and is normally warm when my other 2 are comfortable. He hates the heat. and runs for shade in the summer. Bella is the opposite and with sunbathe in 100 degree weather. She loves to sun herself
Old 12-31-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
littlebuddy

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
So does a really cold nose mean he's cold?
littlebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
lfung5
LINDA

I'm not sure now. I know Fred's nose is not normally freezing, so when it gets that cold I feel he is cold. Scuds and Bella's noses are always cold. When I feel they are extra cold is when I put their sweaters on.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
davetgabby
Dave T

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddy View Post
So does a really cold nose mean he's cold?
nope it means nothing really, they fluctuate but no real meaning. The only real indicator is shivering.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote