yeast infections in ears? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:14 PM   #31
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
I have one of each. Augie had a yeast infection as a young pup - 3 months old. Vet cleaned his ears, he was treated, and has been fine since. He has the tiniest, cutest little ears. Finn is another story - I have to put drops in his ears every couple of days or so as he is prone to yeasty ears. And his are much larger, with larger looking openings and I would think better airflow.
But he's also your allergic boy, isn't he? I've heard that dogs with allergies are also more prone to yeast infections.

I don't see anything wrong with treating prophylactically if you know your dog is prone to them, but I think that's different than assuming you need to treat prophylactically based on one yeast infection.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:39 PM   #32
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Ever since I stopped feeding Pixie chicken jerky she has had zero ear issues. They've been clear for months!!
Old 12-31-2012, 04:08 PM   #33
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
But he's also your allergic boy, isn't he? I've heard that dogs with allergies are also more prone to yeast infections.

I don't see anything wrong with treating prophylactically if you know your dog is prone to them, but I think that's different than assuming you need to treat prophylactically based on one yeast infection.
Oh, I quite agree, Karen. I do nothing with Augie's ears, except wipe the the inner flaps. Occasionally, there is a bit of hair regrowth at the opening to the canal that I remove.

And Finn was doing great after we allergy tested him and changed his food....until we boarded him in October. I did not take his ear drops to the boarding place. They also gave him two baths. And I also wonder if they gave treats containing something he is allergic to, although I requested they feed him nothing except the food I provided. At any rate, we had ear issues again afterward. As long as I put the drops in every few days, especially after a bath, and dry his ears well, we were keeping on top of it.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #34
Dougy

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a "first dog owner" I am guided by other more experienced owners so when both my vet and my groomer (Lowchen breeder for over 40 years, international show judge, naturopath for both humans and dogs) tell me that because he has a food allergy, he will probably get more ear infections, I would rather be safe than sorry. Thornit is non toxic and has been around since 1907 so I feel reasonably confident in using it. His food allergy has been fixed by an imported pet food from the USA called "Tastes of the Wild" - no additives and no preservatives - (unlike the very expensive stuff the vet sells which is full of them). Since changing him to that he has not had a problem.
Dougy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
Becky Chittenden

Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
You can clean the ears out, daily if needed with an ear wash made of peroxide and vinegar (look up swimmers ear). I don't have a problem with yeasty ears, but when I groom, I wash the ears. After a bath, I put in Ototic (think the sp is correct) after the ears are dry
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #36
rdanielle
Renee

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have found this formula works better than the sticky crud that the vet prescribed:
http://www.k911.biz/Petsafety/EarInfection.htm

www.teodorohavanese.com
rdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote