New pics of Hanna and vet problem - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #21
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Yes, Havanese is supposed to have a natural look. All Maltese and many Yorkies are flat ironed for show but for a Havanese to be flat ironed is either not necessary or they actually have a frizzy coat.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #22
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
You could get her hair pretty straight with the right drier. You need a strong drier, no concentrating nozzle/cone, warm air, and brushing while drying. After that she will look like she got electrocuted, but then you brush and comb the coat, maybe even mist it, until it lays down. I will post an old pic of Hanna right after she's blow dryed.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Thanks guys, I will ask to get titers done.

And to think I almost shaved her during the worst of blowing coat. I really did throw up my hands and had it not been for DH intervening she would not have the coat. Also in the spring I will probably hire a professional handler and put her in a few shows, just to see how she does. She doesn't walk well on a leash but who knows, maybe in the hands of a handler I can get a few points on her. She is scheduled to be bred to GCH Kimbriel Ruffian the Perfect Storm in May. If I could have a wish list of attributes to be a great match for her, it is this dog. I'm very excited.
I think it's great that you're going to try her in the show ring again. She's beautiful, and as you said, maybe with a professional handler, she'll do better in the ring. There's a reason they're pros... They have a lot more experience than the average owner/handler!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #24
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
You could get her hair pretty straight with the right drier. You need a strong drier, no concentrating nozzle/cone, warm air, and brushing while drying. After that she will look like she got electrocuted, but then you brush and comb the coat, maybe even mist it, until it lays down. I will post an old pic of Hanna right after she's blow dried.
I have a strong dryer but its a cool air and its so loud it hurts my ears. Zoey gets freaked out by it . I don't understand if they are suppose to be shown natural why cant the judges except their slightly wavy coat. It would be so much kinder to the dogs. Their are a lot of politics to showing that I don't like. To be a reputable Havanese Breeder and finish your dogs one really needs to be forking out so much money. Or have a really exceptional Havanese with all the right stuff. I cant imagine any dog really liking the continual grooming. I would enjoy showing more if I didn't feel so bad for my dog. I liked the hobby with the exception of all the grooming. Karen's right about the handler that's another political aspect of showing I don't like.
Their has been a question in my mind for awhile now about not breeding in tell a Havanese has gotten its championship. I cant imagine their being enough litters to handle all the people who want a Havanese.It does make sense to just have the best dogs breeding to in better the breed. I don't know how to study the numbers to try to figure out how many show havanese females their are in the right age group. And if each had one litter a year how many Havanese would their be? This probably isn't the right trend for me to be asking this question. I have been afraid to bring up the subject. But it sounds as tho you are going ahead with breeding with or with out a championship. And as long as you are doing all the health testing and are working with your experienced Breeder I think that's fine. My one question because I have thought about it is how can you work and have a litter of puppy's?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Suzi, the same way women work and have children. You give up sleep, recreation, etc and besides puppies are easier than children. The mama dog does most of the work. lol
Old 01-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #26
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Suzi, the same way women work and have children. You give up sleep, recreation, etc and besides puppies are easier than children. The mama dog does most of the work. lol
I want puppy's so bad Ive decided to wait to have Zoey spayed.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #27
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Suzi, don't breed Zoey. You don't have the resources for the health testing and the stud fee, vet bills etc. Call your local shelters and ask to foster the next dog that comes in with puppies or cat with kittens. I fostered two mama cats and 7 kittens a few years back. I got to keep them until they were 12 weeks old--long enough. They were beginning to be destructive by that time. But I got to hold them and play with them and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. And the nice thing is the shelters provide the vacs and food. It is sorta like I was at 40, I wanted another baby. Thankfully I didn't have another one and now I have way to many grandchildren. lol
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #28
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Karen's right about the handler that's another political aspect of showing I don't like.
I'd like to further explain what I said. While I know there are certainly some politics involved, there are at the top of ANY sport, I did NOT meant that Hannah's mom should have a pro handle her because of political reasons. I know LOTS of owner/breeders who have put their titles on their own dogs doing all their own handling. BUT it takes time and experience to know how to show a dog to best advantage. It also takes time and experience to get over "show ring nerves"... and those nerves telegraph INSTANTLY to your dog, making him or her less likely to behave the way you want them to. Pros have that experience. Likewise, pros know how to groom and present a dog in a way that is best going to catch the judge's eye. I suspect that is NOT a problem Hannah's mom has, but you have said many times that you struggled with it.

Hannah's mom said that Hannah doesn't walk well with her in the ring. You've said the same about Zoey. There is NOTHING "political" about that... if the dog doesn't behave, it is hard for the judge to do THEIR job. Manners count, and so does grooming. THIS is the reason, IMO, it can make sense to have a pro handle your dog.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #29
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Suzi, don't breed Zoey. You don't have the resources for the health testing and the stud fee, vet bills etc. Call your local shelters and ask to foster the next dog that comes in with puppies or cat with kittens. I fostered two mama cats and 7 kittens a few years back. I got to keep them until they were 12 weeks old--long enough. They were beginning to be destructive by that time. But I got to hold them and play with them and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. And the nice thing is the shelters provide the vacs and food. It is sorta like I was at 40, I wanted another baby. Thankfully I didn't have another one and now I have way to many grandchildren. lol
That is a FABULOUS idea, Lucile!!!

Suzi, you could do shelter puppies a real service by giving the the love and attention they need so much in their first critical weeks before going to their forever homes!!!

Old 01-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #30
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
It is sorta like I was at 40, I wanted another baby. Thankfully I didn't have another one and now I have way to many grandchildren. lol
Ha! I felt like that when my older one was approaching his first birthday... I missed my tiny baby. (and DH was lobbying HEAVILY for another) So, we had another one. THEN I got smart, and made DH go have his "little operation" before those hormones started kicking in when the younger one turned one!