growing pains or bad training or what??? - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #21
Suzi
Senior Member
 
Suzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: West Linn Oregon
Posts: 4,706
Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
I've had several friends try to teach me to train on a loose lead. The easiest one for me was walking and saying their name when they looked i clicked and treat. Then we walked again.I think it keeps them from running ahead? I hate to say it but I never did train them to walk nice. I went on most walks off leash I was more into a nice walk than training. Now I have a double leash and they pull me to the next block. After about a half hour they will walk nice.
__________________
Maddie at 5mo old
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,279
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
My trainer said to pick a method of potty. She said its confusing to them to give them more than one place to go. Ted has always preferred outside. I had pee pads in his pen but he only ever used them twice. Sounds like yours has made a decision that he also prefers outside.
The Kings have raised more puppies than anyone I know, and Tom has said a number of times on the forum that among their puppy owners, they people who have the HARDEST time with potty training, and the most accidents are those that insist on the pup ONLY going outdoors.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #23
lise
Senior Member
 
lise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 958
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
As I said before Ted decided he only liked to go outside. I had a peeped in his pen for months and he used it a couple times in the first months. He holds it til we come home when we do go out. I never insisted that he only go outside, he chose it. I think it makes a lot of sense to praise him when he does his business outside. If he were to go on a peeped inside, do I praise him then? Do I then not praise him when he goes on a rug inside? I am one with my trainer in this one. I think whichever method the puppy chooses that also fits into the owners lifestyle is probably the right one.
__________________
Lise and Ted
lise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #24
lise
Senior Member
 
lise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 958
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
With only the greatest respect for Tom!!
__________________
Lise and Ted
lise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:43 AM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,279
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
As I said before Ted decided he only liked to go outside. I had a peeped in his pen for months and he used it a couple times in the first months. He holds it til we come home when we do go out. I never insisted that he only go outside, he chose it. I think it makes a lot of sense to praise him when he does his business outside. If he were to go on a peeped inside, do I praise him then? Do I then not praise him when he goes on a rug inside? I am one with my trainer in this one. I think whichever method the puppy chooses that also fits into the owners lifestyle is probably the right one.
I thought you meant specifically ONLY giving him the one option. That is what Tom has cautioned against. I think MOST of them gravitate to going only outside eventually, given the choice. Certainly that was true with Kodi, and Tom has said it's pretty standard. I've stopped even bothering bringing a litter box when we stay in a hotel... he WILL not use it. So I do ask, if possible, for a low floor, or better yet a room with a slider to lawn for that first thing in the morning pee!

We have actually had to work hard to maintain Kodi's use of the litter box for emergency times. There are times (upset tummies, blizzards, torrential rain) where "waiting" may not be a viable option. We actually no longer praise for going outside. (except in the snow, where he needs encouragement at the beginning of each snow season) Getting to go is its own reward. We DO praise HEAVILY (and actually give food rewards) for pooping in the litter box, which he is very reluctant to do.

And, of course, we would never praise going on a rug, but I think you knew that.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #26
Bax's Mom
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guy came to me in Jan 2112, at 15 months old. He has always like a lot of attention. Now close to 27 months old, he has become even more attention seeking. He does a lot of "nosing" things on the coffee table and does "scratching stretches" on furniture. He responds well to the no or uh oh...but not for long!!!! He likes me to chase him all over the house..many times a day! If I try to ignore him he does the little whine, and stares!! I take him on 2... 20-40 min walks a day. I have a large fenced yard...now with 17 in snow! He is very food responsive, but feed and treat games were either too easy or way to frustrating for him. He likes to eat his dinner from his Kong Toy!I give him cubes of frozen Greek Yogurt for treats.
He stayed with Foster Mom in Oct ( +3 dogs),and had many great chases with her latest Hav rescue...so I am thinking of adding another Hav guy. ( He is very social with people and all other dogs.

I guess I am worried that it might be a colossal mistake.
Any Ideas????
Bax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Bax's Mom
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, Bax is Mr. January on HRI Calendar!!!
Bax's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #28
lise
Senior Member
 
lise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 958
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I Hav one and that's lots for me
__________________
Lise and Ted
lise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #29
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,279
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax's Mom View Post
My guy came to me in Jan 2112, at 15 months old. He has always like a lot of attention. Now close to 27 months old, he has become even more attention seeking. He does a lot of "nosing" things on the coffee table and does "scratching stretches" on furniture. He responds well to the no or uh oh...but not for long!!!! He likes me to chase him all over the house..many times a day! If I try to ignore him he does the little whine, and stares!! I take him on 2... 20-40 min walks a day. I have a large fenced yard...now with 17 in snow! He is very food responsive, but feed and treat games were either too easy or way to frustrating for him. He likes to eat his dinner from his Kong Toy!I give him cubes of frozen Greek Yogurt for treats.
He stayed with Foster Mom in Oct ( +3 dogs),and had many great chases with her latest Hav rescue...so I am thinking of adding another Hav guy. ( He is very social with people and all other dogs.

I guess I am worried that it might be a colossal mistake.
Any Ideas????
Lots of people have multiple Havs and thoroughly enjoy it. Most of the dogs seem to get along well. B-U-T, you should get another one for YOU, not for him. There are definitely trade-offs. They won't ALWAYS get along, he will have to share your time with another dog, and expenses and work load automatically double. The people who choose to have multiples mostly seem to think it is worth it, but you need to think it out.

As far as the immediate problem, for Bax's own sake, he needs to learn to occupy himself at least some of the time too. You got him older, so it may take a little more work. But I would get him some great chew things, like moose antlers, flavored Nylabones... whatever he likes, and a few toys like Skinneze or squeaky balls. Then I would start purposely leaving him, either in an ex-pen or gated into an area that he can't get to you. Do it in a kind but matter of fact way. DON'T feel sorry for him. Then start leaving him there for slowly but progressively longer periods. Start really short, like 5 minutes and work up from there.

Another thing to work on is to teach him "place". This is a spot that you choose, that is the place he needs to go and hang out until you release him. It could be an open crate, a dog bed or even an old folded blanket on the floor. Again, start with very short periods at first. This one can be as little as 30 or even 15 seconds to start with. The point is for him to learn that he MUST stay there until you tell him it's OK to leave.

I would do these things with him whether you decide to get another dog or not. They are just things a dog needs to learn. What if you got another dog and that dog got sick and needed to be hospitalized? Bax might be beside himself hif he didn't already know how to entertain himself when necessary.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
Charleysmom
Senior Member
 
Charleysmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 599
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I thought you meant specifically ONLY giving him the one option. That is what Tom has cautioned against. I think MOST of them gravitate to going only outside eventually, given the choice. Certainly that was true with Kodi, and Tom has said it's pretty standard. I've stopped even bothering bringing a litter box when we stay in a hotel... he WILL not use it. So I do ask, if possible, for a low floor, or better yet a room with a slider to lawn for that first thing in the morning pee!

We have actually had to work hard to maintain Kodi's use of the litter box for emergency times. There are times (upset tummies, blizzards, torrential rain) where "waiting" may not be a viable option. We actually no longer praise for going outside. (except in the snow, where he needs encouragement at the beginning of each snow season) Getting to go is its own reward. We DO praise HEAVILY (and actually give food rewards) for pooping in the litter box, which he is very reluctant to do.

And, of course, we would never praise going on a rug, but I think you knew that.
I don't praise Charley for going outside either. No need at this point except when it's freezing cold and he goes very quickly.
We're still woerking on the other things. Regarding scratching at the door what I've done is reduce the oopportunity and distract him with other things. He gets to scratch once and then we go outisde. After that, it's "place" or "get the toy" or I leave the room. I'm trying to eliminate the possibility so that it becomes a thing of the past. We'll see...so far it's getting better.
Countersurfing ....just working on down. Fact is Charley seems to love jumping up like a basketball player. He doesn't jump on furniture or on anything else. I've never actually given him the opportunity. But we are working on the jumping. I always use a hand signal and when he's about to jump I stop him. Also, if we're playing fetch, he jumps up on me when he returns the ball. So now we're working on "down" as he approaches. This one has been tough because (unknowingly) I trained him to jump. At first it was cute his jumping up to give me the ball. Now he's bigger and stronger and it's not so cute.
Havne't puirchased the crate games will but I will. You mention a DVD. I imagine that is better than the book?
he's a pretty relentless little guy,. I know they all are. It takes consistency on my part.
Leash pulling, we're working on that too. I am stopping now when he pulls and I'm sure he will catch on.
__________________
Starborn Love Me Good & Plenty (Charley)
Charleysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 AM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.