your thoughts on home cooked diet vs. commerical dog food - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #21
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
good stuff, I'm waiting to hear back from her too. She was on holidays so she should be back soon . let us know what route you decide.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:56 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andra View Post
I have an email submitted to her as we speak. I am moving ahead with a consultation as Dionna, yet again, is rejecting her kibble (which I serve in the morning). This is day five or six of kibble rejection and now I have been giving her a sample kibble that I got from the spa/resort where I got the Santa photo. She is eating those kibbles but I am only giving her a very small amount because I was not really sure if they were ok or not. So I went by the vet today to have them review the kibble package and they said it was fine and also gave me a list of others to try. The problem is, she is picky and even when she does eat kibbles, she eventually will stop as time passes and then I am back to square one. Her current kibbles changed their formula and since that happened, she has not been as keen on them. She is eating her home cooked dinner with gusto. Hence me requesting professional guidance Even if Sabine has a few kibble suggestions, that is fine. I am just at a loss as to how to proceed regarding all of this.

Also, when Dionna gets too hungry, which happens when she does not eat in the morning, she gets a bile/stomach acid build up and she will often end up throwing up by afternoon. So eating in the morning is very important medically for her. So I am hoping that Sabine can come up with some kind of plan for Dionna as she is like my child and I love her dearly!!!!!
If you are home cooking for her in the evening anyway, why not feed her home cooked in the morning too? I can see how she would skip the kibble and hold out for dinner, knowing what's coming later! Cornflakes (or even a nutritionally balanced freeze-dried hiking meal) or a roast beef dinner... which do I want...

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
andra

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ha ha ha ....no, I totally agree with you. That is why I am seeking the consult and will follow her guidelines. I actually started the home cooked dinner because of the kibble refusal-too hungry--throwing up bile/stomach acid cycle we were trapped in plus Dionna being too thin, per the vet. I originally was feeding her only kibble but she was failing to thrive, so to speak. I cannot tell you how many different kinds of kibble I have tried. I was very very desperate (and also a worrier) so I started with the organic chicken breast, boiled and chopped, and served with mashed cooked organic yam and chopped cooked organic broccoli. I serve it on this small square plate and she eats it up with gusto. After all I had been through with the food and throwing up issues, seeing her eat with gusto was a huge victory and relief. Her weight vascilates between 11 and 12 pounds now; the vet wants her at 12 pounds because at 11 she is too thin.

It seems like since she has been getting the cooked dinner, she has been doing so much better and that her appetite has finally picked up. She is still picky and there is a lot of food that she will just not eat--more that she will refuse than eat, frankly. But, she has taken the occasional plain cooked penne shaped noodle (which I think you recommended Krandall) or small apple sliver. She gets a probiotic sprinkle on her cooked food, too. But again, whatever Sabine recommends, I will take into serious consideration. Because Dionna is my furbaby and I love her like a child.
andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
Luciledodd

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rosie gets a mixture of home-cooked and canned, and kibble. Depending on what I am cooking, I prepare enough for her and now Jethro (did you ever have a cat that ate table food). Sometimes I give Rosie Raw meat as I am chopping it up for something. Scrambled eggs etc. I always mix whatever I am giveing her and Jethro with their kibble. There are days that I don't cook and if they are hungry they will eat just the plain kibble or kibble mixed with canned. Must be working for them as Jethro the cat is about 2 inches taller than Rosie, but not weighing as much yet. He is going to be a big cat. I don't use supplements or veggies, I trust the canned and kibble to have the right vitamins in them. It has worked for ever animal that I have reared for the last forty years.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #25
marlowe'sgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciledodd View Post
Rosie gets a mixture of home-cooked and canned, and kibble. Depending on what I am cooking, I prepare enough for her and now Jethro (did you ever have a cat that ate table food). Sometimes I give Rosie Raw meat as I am chopping it up for something. Scrambled eggs etc. I always mix whatever I am giveing her and Jethro with their kibble. There are days that I don't cook and if they are hungry they will eat just the plain kibble or kibble mixed with canned. Must be working for them as Jethro the cat is about 2 inches taller than Rosie, but not weighing as much yet. He is going to be a big cat. I don't use supplements or veggies, I trust the canned and kibble to have the right vitamins in them. It has worked for ever animal that I have reared for the last forty years.
Hah - yes! I have a cat who eats table food, dog food, stolen food, you name it. I was free feeding my Hav because he didn't have gobble-it mentality as a pup and it took me awhile to realize my sneaky cat ate most of it. We have finally, with eagle eyes and lots of whining, got our cat to lose her 'puppy' weight. And got Marlowe to eat within 5 mins.

I do kibble 90% of the time because I don't have the time to cook. I did go through a few different ones in a bit of a taste test to see which my Hav likes. He has some preferences, but ultimately the verdict ended up being anything with small dash of shredded cheese. He does get some extra steamed veggies and we use leftover dinner meat (like grilled chicken) in tictac size portions as high value training treats.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #26
andra

Submit Photo: 0
I wish I could find a kibble that Dionna would consistently eat; I know the kibble has important vitamins and minerals and she is just so picky

My friend's cat loves human food; in fact he will go to the sink and put his paw down the disposal and 'fish' for anything there
andra is offline   Reply With Quote
Love my babies, but I don't want to cook for them!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:50 PM   #27
luv3havs
Chico and Cali

Submit Photo: 8
Love my babies, but I don't want to cook for them!

I'd love to find a kibble that my dogs would really enjoy. I frankly don't want to cook for 4 dogs-our 3 and my daughter's dog who is living here temporarily. I feed them a high quality grain-free kibble and they are healthy, have good skin, coats etc. But I often have to add something to the kibble or they take too much time eating and sometimes refuse to eat it.
So now I am adding a small amount of wet food (good quality) and mix it to coat the kibble. Or I might scramble some eggs and mix it in with the kibble.
But I would like to find a kibble that they enjoy eating without adding something. Any suggestions for grain-free kibble that your dogs enjoy eating?
Grain-free kibble is expensive, so you'd think they could make it tastier.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 PM   #28
marlowe'sgirl

My Hav eats Orijen. He like the red meat flavor most, the chicken second, and the fish last. He also liked one of the EVO flavors (which escapes me now) and Fromm's grain-free. I ordered a sampler pack from Luke's All Natural Pet Food: http://www.lukesallnatural.com/ and had a week of taste testing. Yeah, his poop was a little runny with the food switching, but we found his favorites.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #29
luv3havs
Chico and Cali

Submit Photo: 8
Thanks, I'll order some too! Hope they like at least one of the flavors.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
Did they like the new kibble? Pixie has eaten Wilderness kibble for 4 years now. She'll have a little in the morning, eat a few bites of Merrick canned in the evening, then she'll go back to eating a few bites of the kibble. She does pick out the lifesource bits in it though and leave them scattered all over the house. She never seems to tire of it.

Tags
dog food, feeding, home cooked, homecooked, meals