Doggie Door - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Doggie Door
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
PebblesPages

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Doggie Door

Sorry I have so many questions. I just want to get this right.

I am thinking about getting a doggie door. Is this a bad thing considering she is still going through house breaking?

Last edited by PebblesPages; 12-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.
PebblesPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PebblesPages View Post
Sorry I have so many questions. I just want to get this right.

I am thinking about getting a doggie door. Is this a bad thing considering she is still going through house breaking?
I think, for now, you'll still have to go in and out with her to make sure she actually goes if she isn't completely trained yet. But lots of people with Havanese (including my breeder) have dog doors, as long as they go out into securely fenced yards.

And don't worry about the questions... That's how most of us learned!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Scudder was my first dog that I actually trained to the doggy door. Actually, he trained himself. He was in my house for about 10 min, at 9 weeks old and all of a sudden he was outside! He figured it out just by watching my guys. He housebroke in about 2 weeks! He was so easy. He also used pee pads in his x pen, but I taught him to go outside when I was home.

Keep in mind. I have a secure fenced in yard. I also live in an area were we don't have many animals of prey. Once and awhile I will see a small hawk.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Doug is 15 weeks and we just never knew when he would go to the toilet so if we weren't constantly crating accidents were happening.

Since the doggy door I think we have had two accidents inside. He goes out on his own initiative and we just follow him out to check. We go out though or to work an return to find no accidents!

I find for us it works. We have a pen outside the doggy door so it restricts the yard area. I just took him away for a few days and it was so hard to keep on top of him. He nearly had one accident as he was walking around briefly sniffed at the door and then went to pee on the carpet.

When we got home the first thing he did was run through the house into the laundry (where he is contained when he can't be watched an where his crate is) and jumped out the doggy door to go to the toilet. Didn't skip a beat!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

Tianna & Doug
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:16 AM   #5
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
If I had a safely fenced yard, I'd put a doggy door in in a minute!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
PebblesPages

Submit Photo: 0
Getting my doggie door installed this coming Saturday. The installer asked me to select the size. IDK!! Ciara's parents were around 9 & 10 pounds (I think). any recommendations?

Last edited by PebblesPages; 01-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.
PebblesPages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
lfung5
LINDA

My flap is 7 x 11.5 inches, a medium. It's off the ground by 4 inches. My guys are 7, 15 and 16 lbs and they vary in height from 8.5 inches to almost 12 inches at the withers. This door works well for all 3.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
lfung5
LINDA

Here's my doggy door with my smallest dog sitting near it. It's probabably actually a 2,5 inch rise but measures 4 inches from the ground to the bottom of the flap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (105.3 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by lfung5; 01-04-2013 at 08:49 AM.
lfung5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a doggy door-love it. Rom uses it all the time. Miss Paige will use it most of the time. My foster dog will go out of it but barks at the back door to come back in. I think you will find it"s really great. Since your puppy is still young I would watch him to be sure he really does his "business" while outside.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
We have a doggy door and I love it. Makes life soooo much easier with 3 dogs, and fosters always rotating in and out. I also have a medium door, and my dogs are 15, 16 and 18 lbs. They are in and out of it all the time, and I think it also improves their quality of life because they have free access to the outside.

When I adopted Misty, it was pretty obvious she had been trained to piddle pads, as she was absolutely convinced bathroom rugs were the place to go. If I took the rugs up, she went on the floor where they were, if I closed the doors, she went in front of the bathroom door. Pretty entrenched habit, and I don't use piddle pads, so we had a task!

She learned to use the doggy door right away and it helped a lot with housebreaking, as she would follow the other two out when they went and got the idea pretty quickly. I also did "housebreaking 101" with her and walked her outside a lot. Now, I have replaced my bathroom rugs, can leave the doors open, and she is fine

There are safety concerns with doggy doors, but I think it is a matter of weighing all the risks and benefits. I have a secure fenced yard, and live on a dead end street in a quiet, safe area. I once audio taped my dogs when I went to work (yes I know- a little crazy!) and found that they never even went outside when I was gone...was kind of what I suspected. But the door is there if they need it, and it is usually only a few hours someone is gone.

I do not let a foster dog, or a newly adopted dog, use the door when I am not home, until they have been with me a while and I really know their behavior. Most of the fosters I have never get to use it unsupervised because they might be flight risks, or have other issues.... and keeping them safe is priority. But there have been a few I have felt OK with.

Even with a secure fence, some dogs will dig under, or bark non stop when you are not home. I don't believe Havanese are big diggers though. So, knowing your dog is a big part of this. Some people will not allow their dogs to use the door when they are not there to supervise; I think you have to find your own comfort level with this.

On the other hand, I have thought that if there ever was fire, my dogs would be able to get out

I highly recommend a doggy door- you'll love it once you have it!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote