Trick Comands - Page 8 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #71
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Yay, Ollie!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #72
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
So right before my christmas vacation (2 wks), I realized that Ollie was doing a behavior, that looks just like play dead. some times when I try to tweeze his ear hair, or trim his nails, he rolls on his back, and puts is paws in the air and doesn't move. so over vacation I've finally taught him to play dead started with just giving him a treat when he was already on is back, being a butthead. then, I would roll him on his back and give him a treat. then I touch him on his neck lightly and he'd roll on his back and freeze. sometimes it wasn't a good roll (half way), or he'd be on his side, so I'd reposition him then give him a treat. Then I added a hand signal. then I started to vary the tricks I'd ask him, you a shake, a roll over, then a play dead. I thought I'd never figure out how to show him what I wanted, now he's got a new trick. happy new yr everyone!
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #73
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Yay!!! Now we want video!!! (actually, I'd LOVE to see video of his work discriminating between cards too!)

Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #74
sprorchid
Jacqueline

I tried this afternoon to get some vid for you from my phone (video camera is at work), but I need two hands, and I can't hold the phone far enough back for you to get a full shot. plus Ollie has a dark face, so he just look like a big black mop!

plus I'm illin' and have lost my voice for the most part... I'll try it first thing I get back to work. he's better at school, b/c he knows he's working

Karen - any particular picture - noun or verb you want him to learn?

Last edited by sprorchid; 01-05-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #75
riverlogic

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol. Fun thread.
Bucky knows sit, stay, lay down, roll over, shake a paw and high five, and he dances. We're still working on loose leash, which he's just not liking one bit. lol. We had to take a few steps back recently when he'd roll over when asked to lay down.
We took an obedience class last year, which was a lot of fun and great socialization. He already knew most of the tricks and would do the entire repertoire for any command. lol. We had a lot of resetting before he stopped doing that.
Fia is working on lead training, stacking and free stacking, but since she's still baby puppy, we're taking it slow and letting her have some fun.
riverlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #76
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
I tried this afternoon to get some vid for you from my phone (video camera is at work), but I need two hands, and I can't hold the phone far enough back for you to get a full shot. plus Ollie has a dark face, so he just look like a big black mop!

plus I'm illin' and have lost my voice for the most part... I'll try it first thing I get back to work. he's better at school, b/c he knows he's working

Karen - any particular picture - noun or verb you want him to learn?
Nope! You can pick... i just want to see it. I think he's amazing!!!

roll over
Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM   #77
Moca

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
roll over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireVoyant View Post
Isabella knows all the standard tricks, except "roll over" and both my husband and I are at a loss how to teach her that one. When we try to lay her over, she ducks her head and refuses to budge . . .as though she's positioning herself for a reprimand. No idea where this is coming from . . .but clearly demonstrating roll over in this manner isn't working. Anyone have an idea?

I know this was posted some time ago. But, I found "roll over" to be one of the easier tricks to teach my pup. I find that my dog responds really well to demonstration. I rolled over on the floor a few times (sounds silly, I know) while repeating the words "roll over." She's good at mimicking what I do (I don't know if this is unique to her). So, I would reward it when she did, and she caught on very quickly. I've just kind of gone by the seat of my pants with her training, as this is my first time. I'm not sure if the havanese are just easy to train, or if she's just really smart. She's 8 months now. I've been able to teach her:

-roll over
-sit
-lay down
-give me ten
-"hello" (my version of shake)
-turn (turns around in circles)
-through (jumps through hoop or my arms making a hoop shape)
-paws (so cute -- she stands up on her back legs and waves her paws in front of her face)
-where's your ball? (she'll find her ball for me)
-where's mugsy? (she'll find her brother (my cat))

She also rings bells to let me know she has to go outside.

I feel she could learn much more, but I'm at a loss right now of what else to teach her. Is there a learning window of opportunity. Like an age they hit where it's much harder to learn new tricks?
Moca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #78
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I know when we took class they said to put your dog in a down and have him follow a treat by moving it to its shoulder thus forcing him/her to start the roll. Ted didn't go for it. I guess I'll spend the day rolling around my bedroom carpet!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #79
sprorchid
Jacqueline

does he ever give you belly? if he does you can start there, it's called the capture method, you wait till it happens naturally then you reward it. to finish the trick I'd roll him over, then praise and treat.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #80
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moca View Post
I feel she could learn much more, but I'm at a loss right now of what else to teach her. Is there a learning window of opportunity. Like an age they hit where it's much harder to learn new tricks?
Oh, she has YEARS to go before she'll start slowing down on what she can learn... like 10 or more year, anyway!

There are lots of books on trick training, or you can also find a lot on YouTube. Many training centers also have trick training classes.

Don't forget to train the basics too. They are the MOST important in terms of just living with your dog as a family member, and in terms of safety. You want to make sure she has a good, reliable recall, a solid stay, and a "go to place" (people call this a lot of different things, but its a specific place she will go to, and stay, on command to keep her out from under foot when you are cooking, carrying heavy objects, etc.

Once she has a good recall and a quick, reliable "down", you can start working on what Kodi is working on right now (among many other things!!!) which is a "drop on recall" For this, once you call, and the dog starts toward you, at any point you shown be able to give a down signal, and have the dog drop in his tracks. This is another GREAT safety tool. Fo instance, say your dog crosses a street without you. You call her back, and like a good dog, she immediately turns to respond. But at that instant, you see a car turning the corner. If you can drop her in her tracks, you can keep her from getting hit by the car! (hopefully, not a situation you will ever be in, but better safe than sorry!!!)