growing pains or bad training or what??? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
Charleysmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Lots of people have multiple Havs and thoroughly enjoy it. Most of the dogs seem to get along well. B-U-T, you should get another one for YOU, not for him. There are definitely trade-offs. They won't ALWAYS get along, he will have to share your time with another dog, and expenses and work load automatically double. The people who choose to have multiples mostly seem to think it is worth it, but you need to think it out.

As far as the immediate problem, for Bax's own sake, he needs to learn to occupy himself at least some of the time too. You got him older, so it may take a little more work. But I would get him some great chew things, like moose antlers, flavored Nylabones... whatever he likes, and a few toys like Skinneze or squeaky balls. Then I would start purposely leaving him, either in an ex-pen or gated into an area that he can't get to you. Do it in a kind but matter of fact way. DON'T feel sorry for him. Then start leaving him there for slowly but progressively longer periods. Start really short, like 5 minutes and work up from there.

Another thing to work on is to teach him "place". This is a spot that you choose, that is the place he needs to go and hang out until you release him. It could be an open crate, a dog bed or even an old folded blanket on the floor. Again, start with very short periods at first. This one can be as little as 30 or even 15 seconds to start with. The point is for him to learn that he MUST stay there until you tell him it's OK to leave.

I would do these things with him whether you decide to get another dog or not. They are just things a dog needs to learn. What if you got another dog and that dog got sick and needed to be hospitalized? Bax might be beside himself hif he didn't already know how to entertain himself when necessary.
YOu mention, "work hard to maintain Kodi's use of litter box". What do you mean by work hard? What do you actually do?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #32
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleysmom View Post
Havne't puirchased the crate games will but I will. You mention a DVD. I imagine that is better than the book?
he's a pretty relentless little guy,. I know they all are. It takes consistency on my part.
Leash pulling, we're working on that too. I am stopping now when he pulls and I'm sure he will catch on.
Crate Games was only available as a DVD when I got it. Is there a book version too? I think both can be useful. In a DVD, you can really watch and see EXACTLY what she does. But with a book, you can take it slower, and really study what she says. I guess which is better for you depends on how you process information better.

Even with consistence, loose leash walking just.plain.takes.time.

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM   #33
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleysmom View Post
YOu mention, "work hard to maintain Kodi's use of litter box". What do you mean by work hard? What do you actually do?
On days that the weather is vile, I watch him closely and keep reminding him "use your box" when he goes to whine at the door. (he's like a cat... He WANTS to go out, but he WANTS me to fix the weather first!))

Then, of course, when he relents and uses the box, it's party time. Oh, and on days when I think he might like to use it for poop, I am EXTRA careful to remove any pee immediately. He HATES using it if it's not pristine.

His feeling about the box is sort of like my feeling about porta-potties, I think!

krandall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Charleysmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
that is such a good analogy!!!! actually during Hurricame Sandy Charley used the box. There was no choice. But now, if I say "potty in the box" he looks at me like I have two heads. but we haven't been in a desparate situation lately either. I think I will thoroughly clean the box to see if that will make a difference.
I will probably purchase the book since I usually like to read something new over and over. I will keep you posted.