Christmas puppy-need advice ! - Page 7 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM   #61
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariemom1 View Post
what about the plcking of the ear hair ?? My vet told me to have the groomer do it , but sounds painful ! Seems like the norm?
It depends on the dog and how much ear hair they have. i don't pluck Kodi's... Other people don't have any choice

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #62
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I groom my dogs (not a professional, I just muddle through) and never did it- but recently I brought them to a grooming school for a clip and they plucked their ears. They do have very hairy ears inside, but haven't had any problems with infections. Not sure whether I will try it myself...right now we're dealing with mats from playing in the snow! think we'll do shorter clip now They don't seem to get cold easily, and are fine for an hour walk in the cold without any coats.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #63
Tuss

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
I groom my dogs (not a professional, I just muddle through) and never did it- but recently I brought them to a grooming school for a clip and they plucked their ears. They do have very hairy ears inside, but haven't had any problems with infections. Not sure whether I will try it myself...right now we're dealing with mats from playing in the snow! think we'll do shorter clip now They don't seem to get cold easily, and are fine for an hour walk in the cold without any coats.
You brought them to a grooming school for a clip? Brave woman!

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #64
Caroline

Talking

The grooming school is run by the same person who runs the day care they go to. So I was confident that it would be OK.

Not only was it OK, both times I have brought them, they came back beautifully done! The price- 15 dollars each, one of the best bargains on the planet It makes my amateur clips look quite pathetic....
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #65
PebblesPages

Submit Photo: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
The grooming school is run by the same person who runs the day care they go to. So I was confident that it would be OK.

Not only was it OK, both times I have brought them, they came back beautifully done! The price- 15 dollars each, one of the best bargains on the planet It makes my amateur clips look quite pathetic....
Off topic.... I go to a school for massage, nails, etc. They do a better job as they are by the book without cutting corners. I would imagine a grooming school would be by the book also. I say kudos for giving the school a shot. Same as the medical intern (off topic again), people need to learn so that services are available for the future.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #66
Caroline

And they are continually supervised by a master groomer, who has her own business, so her reputation is also on the line. I was very pleased