at the end of my rope... - Page 15 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #141
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Linda ~ how did the urine re check go? Was he just on a 1 week antibiotic?

Thanks for the advice Missy! How does it work to get it to Jean Dodds?? Do I send it?
What is the cost??? I wonder if he can do HIS tests AND send it to Hemopet?? What IS Hemopet? lol
Old 01-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #142
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 33 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post

Thanks for the advice Missy! How does it work to get it to Jean Dodds?? Do I send it?
What is the cost??? I wonder if he can do HIS tests AND send it to Hemopet?? What IS Hemopet? lol
wait till you get all the tests Tammy, if there's any hint of hypothyroidism you can have you vet draw blood and send it to Hemopet . But don't get ahead of yourself until you find out more. Hemopet explains here http://www.hemopet.org/
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #143
TilliesMom

okay! thanks for the heads up Dave!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #144
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:

Won't know until tomorrow, Tammy. But I am a bit concerned as he just went potty on the UgoDog, and there was a fair amount of blood in his urine. He has been able to go all night without having to go out, and several hours between trips outside during the day. I don't know if he was injured when they were getting the sample? He is acting ok. The vet is supposed to call me in the morning with the results. I took him out to potty when we got home from the vet and he had to go bad, but it was outside in the grass so I didn't see if there was blood then. He also had his anal glands emptied.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #145
TilliesMom

oh my gosh, poor Augie owie.... wow. What antibiotic was he on?? How did they get the urine sample? our poor babies... I wish they could TALK!

Tillie hasn't had her anal glands expressed in ages... probably a year and a 1/2... is it something we HAVE to do??? Is it a problem if it isn't done on a regular basis?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM   #146
marlowe'sgirl

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
is it something we HAVE to do??? Is it a problem if it isn't done on a regular basis?
If your pup is scooting around on his butt or seems "sensitive" back there, anal glands are the first thing to check. Many dogs express their anal glands naturally when they poop, but sometimes they need a little help. Diet, age, and breed play into how often they need their glands expressed. High-fiber diet and younger pups need glands expressed less often, if at all. I think my Hav's glands have been expressed 1x/yr in his 3 years. No scooting prompted the first time, but my vet noted that the glands seemed really hard and rec'd that they should to be expressed at his next grooming. So, I just keep tabs before any professional grooming and if the glands hard I ask them to do it. So far, it hasn't been often.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #147
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
oh my gosh, poor Augie owie.... wow. What antibiotic was he on?? How did they get the urine sample? our poor babies... I wish they could TALK!

Tillie hasn't had her anal glands expressed in ages... probably a year and a 1/2... is it something we HAVE to do??? Is it a problem if it isn't done on a regular basis?
Tammy, it was a long acting antibiotic given as an injection, called Convenia. Now, after doing some research on it, I am not real comfortable with the fact that he got it. I guess it is from the Cephalosporin class of antibiotics. What I am reading is that it stays in the system for 60+ days. If he were to have had a reaction to it, he would have to undergo long-term treatment as it does not clear the system readily as oral forms of antibiotics do. And it sounds as though there could have been some serious side effects, although I noticed no change in behavior, diarrhea or anything with him. Anemia is mentioned as a side effect. In the future, should his vet want to give him this again, I will definitely be asking more questions and whether there is another antibiotic he can be given, even though it may require more work on my part. He is not peeing a stream of blood but there was enough in it to tinge it red when he went on the UgoDog. Jack took him out to potty at bedtime, and watched with the flashlight when he went - said it didn't look red. They catheterized him to get the urine sample. I heard not a peep out of him.

Augie had his glands expressed once before, probably about a year ago. With all this rain, he hasn't been getting the exercise he should be getting. I hate going out in the rain so not walking them enough. I think that possibly contributes. I had smelled a 'funky'/unpleasant smell a couple of times recently on him, and asked the vet to check - she said they were full.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #148
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Ok. I thought of Tillie last night. We all came to my BFs house to spend the night. Bella was acting so strange. She wouldn't come upstairs with us. When I went to look for her she was shaking and just staring at the wall. When I reached for her she ran under the table and just shook. She wouldn't even come outside, which she loves. I couldn't figure it out. Then my BF said could it be the chimes? He just installed an alarm system and everytime we opened a door, chimes went off! That was it! He turned them off and she was soon herself again.
Tammy, has anything changed in your home?
Old 01-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #149
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:

Kodi has never needed to have his glands expressed. While it is inportant to do if the dog is having problems, you do NOT want to do it if there is no good reason. The more often they are expressed without cause, the more often they will need it.

Also, this something I, personally, would never have done by agroomer. If it needs to be done, I'd want it done by the vet.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #150
marlowe'sgirl

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
Also, this something I, personally, would never have done by agroomer. If it needs to be done, I'd want it done by the vet.
I was hesitant to have it done by a groomer, but my vet rec'd it - because it can be a very smelling process and your pup will need a bath afterwards and secondly, because most groomers do this daily - it is a very straightforward process. Some dogs/breeds need it done once/month.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote