at the end of my rope... - Page 16 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #151
Atticus

Submit Photo: 7
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if it helps any but Atticus trembles in the car if I have the blower on or put on the windshield wipers. So for him I think it is the noise and those scary wipers. I think in part he wasn't used to those things so now that it's winter he is having to adjust. I just turn up the music and carry on. He mellows out if it's a long ride.That Tillie is a sweetie and this must be so hard. Think of you two often!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #152
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Tammy, our Vet just called, and we are not at the end of our saga either. Augie's urine no longer shows bacteria, but it did contain a fair amount of blood and is quite concentrated. Same pattern as last year. So she is putting him on a 'urinary diet' for a month, which we also did last year and it restored his bladder health. Only thing different this time - we don't have crystals going on. Also, we are going to attempt a clean catch urine sample next time, no cath. since that seems to irritate him. He must have a high threshold for pain as he has never given any indication that he is in pain - he just has to pee often.

Any ideas from forum members on getting them to drink more water???
Old 01-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #153
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Linda, Yogi had the UTI from hell, we had his urine sent out and cultured after the second bout of antibiotics to see what antibiotic it reacted to, we went through two rounds of Clavamox (may have not spelled it right), and then the Vet put him on Baytrial (in the dog world it is the big gun), after the test came back, he was put back on Clavamox...less side effects...as the bacteria reacted to it, he was on this for a long time a month or more. Two weeks after we finished the Vet did a culture, six weeks another, all were clean. He is due for another after six months from the last date...just to be sure. Yogi's probably had his UTI for a long while, it is harder to notice in males, it is also less common. I was also told I needed to get him moving...that was really miserable for me! He just wanted to lay in a ball and sleep...we would walk five steps, he would stop, five more same thing, a 15 min. walk took 1.5 hours of lureing him along, he also was surly with the other dogs in class and at home. We did x rays, and ultra sound when I first took him is as he was in so much pain, also he had two rectal exams from two different Vets (same practice) looking for growths, stones and growths were ruled out early on.

Augie may just need to be on the antibiotic longer. The getting them moving makes them thirsty, maybe you could practice healing in the garage. The special food is formulated to desolve certain types of crystals quickly, also dogs who form crystals can get sand like crystals they are too small to see in an xray the food really helps. I hope Augie is back to his old self soon...even after Yogi was clear it took him a few weeks to get back to his old self...and here I thought he had finally calmed down!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:07 PM   #154
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Any ideas from forum members on getting them to drink more water???
With horses that don't drink enough, we mix as much water in their food as we can and still have them think it's food. I know this is what the vet suggested when Kodi had his tummy trouble a couple of years ago too. (though that was to get his intestines cleared out!)

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #155
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Linda, Yogi had the UTI from hell, we had his urine sent out and cultured after the second bout of antibiotics to see what antibiotic it reacted to, we went through two rounds of Clavamox (may have not spelled it right), and then the Vet put him on Baytrial (in the dog world it is the big gun), after the test came back, he was put back on Clavamox...less side effects...as the bacteria reacted to it, he was on this for a long time a month or more. Two weeks after we finished the Vet did a culture, six weeks another, all were clean. He is due for another after six months from the last date...just to be sure. Yogi's probably had his UTI for a long while, it is harder to notice in males, it is also less common. I was also told I needed to get him moving...that was really miserable for me! He just wanted to lay in a ball and sleep...we would walk five steps, he would stop, five more same thing, a 15 min. walk took 1.5 hours of lureing him along, he also was surly with the other dogs in class and at home. We did x rays, and ultra sound when I first took him is as he was in so much pain, also he had two rectal exams from two different Vets (same practice) looking for growths, stones and growths were ruled out early on.

Augie may just need to be on the antibiotic longer. The getting them moving makes them thirsty, maybe you could practice healing in the garage. The special food is formulated to desolve certain types of crystals quickly, also dogs who form crystals can get sand like crystals they are too small to see in an xray the food really helps. I hope Augie is back to his old self soon...even after Yogi was clear it took him a few weeks to get back to his old self...and here I thought he had finally calmed down!
I remember Yogi had a MISERABLE time!!! I'm glad to hear that, at least for now, it's cleared up.

It's funny how male dogs don't seem to show it when they have a UTI. Cats get them too, and the symptoms in the girls are very much what you see in girl dogs. But it's a HUGE big deal in a male cat, because they block really easily, which can quickly lead to life-threatening complications.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:24 PM   #156
motherslittlehelper
Linda

I did NOT realize that male dogs don't show symptoms. The only thing that has given it away is that he had to go out more frequently and couldn't hold it all night. Oh, and the fact that Finn will not leave Augie's privates alone!! He must be smelling something wrong. For the past week, the frequency thing was pretty much gone....until the catheterization....and that seemed to stir the pot again. The long-acting antibiotic should still be in his system. And his Ua showed no bacteria. When I voiced my concerns over the things I had read about the Convenia inj., she seemed surprised, and said it concentrates in the urine and usually gives good results. When he was put on the urinary diet for a month last year, he gained weight rapidly, so I am definitely going to have to get him more exercise. I just felt like he should be resting to get over this, but maybe that was the wrong thing to do? I should have been getting him out more. I don't think he would give me problems with balking on walks. I am going to be the balker - I hate walking in the rain!!

Robbie, I hope Yogi will stay well!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #157
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
WOW, poor Augie!! I can't understand why they needed to cath him!? poor guy...
The vet tech helped me get a urine sample with a sterile cup on a stick! worked awesome!
Hopefully it will be that easy this next time. The vet will be sending her urine out for a culture this time.

Good news/Bad news ... Tillie pee'd in her crate. again. this makes 3 times. sigh...
But the "good" news is that it doesn't smell strong at all!! yay!!
I had my husband check because when she went out first thing this morning she only poop'd. My first thought. OH NO, she pee'd in her crate. and I was right. sigh.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:50 PM   #158
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
Karen, The Vet was concerned about Yogi because he said the same thing about male dogs as cats!!! The is way we ruled all of the other stuff out first. Yogi's was showings signs by the time I took him to the Vet his tummy was tucked up, it hurt for him to poop, and walking up and down the stairs was painful, I had no idea it was a UTI.

Linda, No licking!!! Vet told me not to let Yogi lick himself or let Boo Boo engage in the male dog ritual of licking each other's accessory.

Tammy, I hope they get Tillie better soon.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #159
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Laughing Magpie View Post
Karen, The Vet was concerned about Yogi because he said the same thing about male dogs as cats!!! The is way we ruled all of the other stuff out first. Yogi's was showings signs by the time I took him to the Vet his tummy was tucked up, it hurt for him to poop, and walking up and down the stairs was painful, I had no idea it was a UTI.

Linda, No licking!!! Vet told me not to let Yogi lick himself or let Boo Boo engage in the male dog ritual of licking each other's accessory.

Tammy, I hope they get Tillie better soon.
That is going to be a good trick - keeping him from licking himself???? He always cleans himself after going potty. I have been keeping him and Finn separated. Maybe if I wash him with a clean cloth after he goes potty? I am taking him in this afternoon for one of those subcutaneous fluid injections to help get more fluid through him.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #160
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Wow, I am so sorry that all of you are going through these problems with your babies and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your guys. I hope everything works out well in the long run. Hang tight, as it must be so tough to see your little ones have these problems.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is online now   Reply With Quote