How long does blowing coat last? - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
How long does blowing coat last?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #1
Happy2hav

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
How long does blowing coat last?

Hello,
My pup, Cody, is just over 9 months. I believe he's started blowing coat. He's getting more and more matted and I can't get them out. I usually cut them out but even that is becoming more frequent. I usually keep him in a fluffy 3 inch coat. How long can we look forward to this? Wondering if it's weeks, months, or a year?
I can't comb through him everyday but do brush him with the pin brush each day. I bathe him usually once per week and blow him dry. I try to do a through comb through as often as I can but we may go a day or two.

I'd rather not shave him down but I would if I thought our grooming was becoming tortuous for him. At this point he looks displeased and is starting to find somewhere else to be when I have the brush or comb out. Before it was kind of bonding time for us and I'd just brush/comb through his hair.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Or words of encouragement😓
Happy2hav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:45 PM   #2
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
15 years. LOL , no I don't even remember , others will give you some answers.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #3
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
You are making a mistake by bathing a matted dog as the water makes the tangled hair collapse and form into a tight wad. Blowing coats are best kept in check by combing out twice a day before mats have a chance to form. You are most likely hurting your dog and also risking slicing your dog open by attempting to cut mats out with scissors. Also, by now the coat has big holes in it from all the chopping and is not a flattering look. Do your dog and yourself a favor and get him shaved. Try to grow the coat out after the coat is done changing, as it will grow back and it won't damage the texture. There is another groomer Tokipoke and she is documenting her dog growing his coat out after being completely shaved, minus tail.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
TilliesMom

I agree with the above post ...

that being said, you NEED to comb to the skin with a GOOD quality metal COMB not a pin brush a minimun of twice a day during blowing coat. The matts form in a nano-second, before your eyes. lol
These dogs are high matinence and if you can't keep up with the grooming during blowing coat, you really should have him shaved down, it's in the best interest of both of you.
After dealing with HOURS a DAY over the course of a couple of weeks of de-matting/grooming/obsessing during blowing coat, I finally had Tillie shaved down. Saved our relationship and my back! lol

I think the average blowing coat lasts 1-3 months...

Last edited by TilliesMom; 01-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.
TilliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Yes agree with Tilliesmom. The average $5 pin brush is not going to cut it and is almost useless. FYI pinbrushes are meant to fluff out poodle and bichon hair.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Gabs

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 6 Times in 6 Posts
It lasted us a few months - and it was bad, like all of the sudden matts just appeared. What worked best for us was investing in a good comb (cc #005), comb thoroughly 2x a day (and extra if its wet outside) and keeping her fur to an inch in length (kept the tail, head, face longer). I also picked up a gentle slicker brush made for sensitive skin (for $10 at the pet store) and it helped a lot, in addition to combing. I don't think it's fair to put a dog through hours of daily grooming, and dematting ... Once you get thru this phase then you can keep the fur at whatever length you like.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #7
Happy2hav

Thank you for the quick replies. Dave, you made me laugh! I do have CC grooming tools, but I don't thin I was using them correctly. I was brushing neveryday, not combing. I also am thinking with the snow and the snowballs that he accumulated, that probably added to the problem. But he loved playing in the snow!!!!!! Will try all you suggestions. Thanks.
Happy2hav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #8
TilliesMom

for SURE use the comb! I don't even OWN a brush for Tillie. lol her hair is about 5-6 inches long.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
Tuss

Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
Snow seems to make mats form! Gemma is just over a year and has never really been bad blowing her coat. SHe's never been cut and i just find a few small mats now when i comb her. I'm combing her twice a day to stay on top of it. When she was covered in snow balls it left her with the worst mats I've ever seen in her coat (and she's not bad as far as matting goes). I can't imaging what a bad blowing coat combined with snow would do.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Tia

Submit Photo: 4
Can anyone suggest some good tools I could get to ensure I am using the right equipment for the job. I have a comb and brush however would like to get something a bit better particularly before the 'blowing coat' phase begins.

Pictures would be helpful or websites that I could purchase from as my availability to products may differ in Au.

Thank you!
Tia is offline   Reply With Quote