at the end of my rope... - Page 18 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Health Issues and Questions

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #171
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
yes, Tillie was super Alkaline also... but nothing has ever been said about changing her food....? odd.
Well it wouldn't hurt to call the vet and ask if you were to try canned food what kind because of her allergies. Maddie and Zoey are itching and Maddie has a soar on her neck. Have you ever put a ointment on Tillie like one for humans? Zoey keeps sniffing her just like Finn is but on her neck. If it makes you feel any better one of mine peeded on my coat last night Mine are just plan not trained well. I'm still praying Miss Tillie and Mr Augie will get back to their old self's very soon.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #172
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
Well it wouldn't hurt to call the vet and ask if you were to try canned food what kind because of her allergies. Maddie and Zoey are itching and Maddie has a soar on her neck. Have you ever put a ointment on Tillie like one for humans? Zoey keeps sniffing her just like Finn is but on her neck. If it makes you feel any better one of mine peeded on my coat last night Mine are just plan not trained well. I'm still praying Miss Tillie and Mr Augie will get back to their old self's very soon.
Suzi, I posted this somewhere - but I did ask the vet about Neosporin on Friday when I had Augie in. She said it was safe to use on dogs, even if they lick it. Are they still itching - even after their recent baths?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #173
Suzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherslittlehelper View Post
Suzi, I posted this somewhere - but I did ask the vet about Neosporin on Friday when I had Augie in. She said it was safe to use on dogs, even if they lick it. Are they still itching - even after their recent baths?
Thanks Linda I'll put some on her sore. They are a lot better I didn't read the direction on the special shampoo until today and it said I was suppose to leave it on for 10 min and really lather it up. So I think i'll give them another bath next week. By the way it really made their coats nice and soft its called Epi Sooth made by Virbac for cats dogs and horses. It doesn't have any soap in it at all and is made with natural oat grain.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 PM   #174
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
oh ya, I've used neosporin several times on Tillie and our cats...
Old 01-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #175
JazzFest13

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I think your Tilly and my Desilu are going through similar things. Desilu is not even a year old, and has reoccuring UTIs since she was spayed back in July. She's also seemed to have develop spay incontinence which means if she goes down for a nap, she ends up urinating on herself and whatever she's laying on. I may let her out once an hour, but she still manages to require a butt bath on a daily basis. She's been on several different antibiotics and the end of each dose, she still hasn't cleared the bacteria. The vets also found crystals in her urine. She's been on canned S/D for the past month.

I just dropped off another urine sample at the vet. At least now, I don't have to pay for the visit, just the urinalysis. If it comes back positive for bacteria, I'll have to bring her in for a urine culture. I am at the end of my rope because it seems like as long as I've had her, she's never been healthy, though to no one's fault. I've spent an enormous amount of money on vet visits, and she's peeped on my MIL's comforter and grandmother's chair...and multiple times on my lap. She's on DES, which is supposed to control the incontinence, but it doesn't seem to be working well.

I love my Desilu so very much, and it is heartbreaking to me that she could be in pain and discomfort because of this constant UTI.

I hope Tillie gets well soon.
JazzFest13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #176
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
(((HUGS))) we are all in this together. sigh.
so sad, so frustrating and heartbreaking to see our pups struggle and to try to help them and fail...
Old 01-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #177
HannahBearsMom

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 5 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilliesMom View Post
yes, Tillie was super Alkaline also... but nothing has ever been said about changing her food....? odd.
Maccabee will start a medication to dissolve his bladder stones and crystals as soon as it arrives in the mail (vet mailed it to me since he is about 40 minutes away and he didn't want us to start it until Maccabee's tummy is better anyhow).

I'm almost afraid to say this for fear that it may jinx us: Maccabee has not peed in the house in about 5 days! I'm hoping that curing him of the urinary infection and stones will get him to the point I can say he is fully house trained. He received an antibiotic injection for his UTI. I don't recall the name, but I can find out.

Starborn Light My Fire (Maccabee)

HannahBearsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:59 PM   #178
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahBearsMom View Post
Maccabee will start a medication to dissolve his bladder stones and crystals as soon as it arrives in the mail (vet mailed it to me since he is about 40 minutes away and he didn't want us to start it until Maccabee's tummy is better anyhow).

I'm almost afraid to say this for fear that it may jinx us: Maccabee has not peed in the house in about 5 days! I'm hoping that curing him of the urinary infection and stones will get him to the point I can say he is fully house trained. He received an antibiotic injection for his UTI. I don't recall the name, but I can find out.
Augie also received an antibiotic injection - a long acting one, called Convenia. After reading on it, it made me a bit nervous, but when I brought up my concerns to our vet, she was surprised, said she has never had any problems using it and it is highly effective in treating UTI's.

Augie seems much improved today. He went from around 12:30 last night to 6 a.m. this morning, and then from 6 to 10:30 a. He started feeling better around midnight last night - throwing the ball around and playing fetch with himself. We are going to start a cranberry supplement, when it comes in. He is still not drinking much plain water, so I am pouring water on his food as you suggested Tammy. He doesn't seem to mind it being soupy.

May all our fur kids soon be well! I hope that once Desilu's infection is cleared up, she will no longer be incontinent.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:55 PM   #179
Suzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFest13 View Post
I think your Tilly and my Desilu are going through similar things. Desilu is not even a year old, and has reoccuring UTIs since she was spayed back in July. She's also seemed to have develop spay incontinence which means if she goes down for a nap, she ends up urinating on herself and whatever she's laying on. I may let her out once an hour, but she still manages to require a butt bath on a daily basis. She's been on several different antibiotics and the end of each dose, she still hasn't cleared the bacteria. The vets also found crystals in her urine. She's been on canned S/D for the past month.

I just dropped off another urine sample at the vet. At least now, I don't have to pay for the visit, just the urinalysis. If it comes back positive for bacteria, I'll have to bring her in for a urine culture. I am at the end of my rope because it seems like as long as I've had her, she's never been healthy, though to no one's fault. I've spent an enormous amount of money on vet visits, and she's peeped on my MIL's comforter and grandmother's chair...and multiple times on my lap. She's on DES, which is supposed to control the incontinence, but it doesn't seem to be working well.

I love my Desilu so very much, and it is heartbreaking to me that she could be in pain and discomfort because of this constant UTI.

I hope Tillie gets well soon.
I'm sorry Desilu is having such problems Has anyone ever used cranberry powder for dogs? Just thinking. It does sound like it has something to do with her spay.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #180
Suzi

Linda funny you just wrote about the cranberry. I started the sisters on vitamins. Its called springtime Fresh Factors. I bought it over a year ago and Bob didn't like me giving them vitamins but I figure what can it hurt.