How to train to come - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Training Tips and Advice

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
yeah, I need to practice more on holding Ollie's collar. I usually just pick him up if I don't want him to run off again, lol.
sprorchid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
yeah, I need to practice more on holding Ollie's collar. I usually just pick him up if I don't want him to run off again, lol.
Well, to tell the truth, since Kodi has long hair, I'm not too particular about whether I get the collar or a hunk of hair. I just want him to know I'm holding him.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #13
djmnb
Deb

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks again....having a little success with chicken and she came for a little bit of scrambled egg this morning. The going to get her part is a wee bit difficult because she is way faster than me and corners real well but I'm a patient sort (when it comes to dogs) and I'll keep working away. Really appreciate the insight. I know it's not fear of me or anyone else because she snuggles and licks and plays once you have her....I think she's just smarter than me.
djmnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmnb View Post
thanks again....having a little success with chicken and she came for a little bit of scrambled egg this morning. The going to get her part is a wee bit difficult because she is way faster than me and corners real well but I'm a patient sort (when it comes to dogs) and I'll keep working away. Really appreciate the insight. I know it's not fear of me or anyone else because she snuggles and licks and plays once you have her....I think she's just smarter than me.
That's why it's important for her to have a drag line that you can step on any time she is loose. Then she absolutely CAN'T get away from you.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:04 PM   #15
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 38 Times in 38 Posts
We taught come in puppy class by having two people. The room was large and the trainer would have our puppy on her leash and we would walk to the other end of the room. We would then just call the puppy say" come" and she would drop the leash and give a treat and say good coming bellie rubs and lots of praise. It wasn't a problem with mine because they follow me anywhere. Some of the other pups didn't learn as fast. It wouldn't hurt to see if their is a beginning class for an older dog. I really liked the facility I went to because the room was so large and the trainer was really good.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
Pucks104

Submit Photo: 29
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
You might try choosing a command word other than "come" that she hasn't learned to view as optional. "Here" or "by me" something that makes sense for you. Then start training with that command as you would train a puppy with the come command - never giving her the opportunity to choose to ignore. Use the drag line as Karen suggested, only use the command when success is the only option, only use for positive situations so the new command is something she wants to respond to because when she does she gets great rewards. When you have to do something she dislikes, go get her so she doesn't associate the new command with negative things.
Pucks104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #17
djmnb
Deb

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK - I think we're getting there. When I've had some alone time (thanks for the tip about sitting on the floor and working with her) I've been working on the "come" - found some better treats and using a light leash as a dragline when she needs some gentle reminding. Lots of praise and cuddles (which she loves) once she comes. Getting about 80% success.
djmnb is offline   Reply With Quote