Trick Comands - Page 9 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #81
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise View Post
I know when we took class they said to put your dog in a down and have him follow a treat by moving it to its shoulder thus forcing him/her to start the roll. Ted didn't go for it. I guess I'll spend the day rolling around my bedroom carpet!
I've been told that for some dogs, particularly small dogs, rolling on their back is very hard for them to do emotionally, because it puts them in such a defenseless posture. I was never successful teaching Kodi to roll using luring. He is good at "capture" learning with a clicker, and since he DOES roll spontaneously, I'm sure, if I cared enough, I could capture the behavior and put it on cue. But we've had so many other things to work on, this one hasn't come to the top of the pile. But, for those dogs reluctant to roll using the luring method you described, (and most won't learn by watching a human roll) capture can be a very powerful tool!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #82
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
does he ever give you belly? if he does you can start there, it's called the capture method, you wait till it happens naturally then you reward it. to finish the trick I'd roll him over, then praise and treat.
Oops! Should have read your message first! Just said the same thing with less words. ...Just like a good SLP!

Old 01-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #83
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
yeah, Ollie had a hard time with roll over too. but he rolls over now, like a log roll, just the video posted in this thread. it's super cute. I packed my video recorder and tripod for home, hopefully I'll remember to take it with me.
sprorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #84
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Never thought of trying it belly up. He gives that constantly so ill try that!
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #85
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Ok, not his best session, he was being a bit of a sass, but you get the idea. This clip has play dead, discrete trials (he learns 'flute'), hi, um, and some free tricks I didn't ask him to do:

http://youtu.be/mC9Wc4plbmU
Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #86
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
Ok, not his best session, he was being a bit of a sass, but you get the idea. This clip has play dead, discrete trials (he learns 'flute'), hi, um, and some free tricks I didn't ask him to do:

http://youtu.be/mC9Wc4plbmU
He is a riot! He talks back!

Really fun seeing him work for you too!

What ever happened with his eye? I know you were concerned at one point that he might lose it, but then I don't ever remember hearing the outcome. Certainly he sees plenty well out of his good eye!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #87
sprorchid
Jacqueline

he has both his eyes, but can only see out of his good eye, and I didn't pull his bangs back, before starting, that's why I reposition the photo cards, b/c a couple of times the correct card was entirely in front of his bad eye.

You can see, he still isn't sure about play dead, and when he does it, it's a little theatrical.

did you like his hello wave? yeah, told you he was a bit of a punk in this session.

Ollie does not lack personality. sometimes if he wants to work for treats (only gets them for tricks), he will walk up to me (while I'm in bed, watching TV, surfing the net), and come really close and just stares at me (the treat bag is out of sight). if he wants something that is in view, he'll look at me, then look at the thing he wants, and back and forth.

Counting is his least favorite trick, he tends to growl to let me know his disdain for the trick. I'll have to figure out a better angle so you can see his face better.

Last edited by sprorchid; 01-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #88
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Quote:
he has both his eyes, but can only see out of his good eye, and I didn't pull his bangs back, before starting, that's why I reposition the photo cards, b/c a couple of times the correct card was entirely in front of his bad eye.

You can see, he still isn't sure about play dead, and when he does it, it's a little theatrical.

did you like his hello wave? yeah, told you he was a bit of a punk in this session.
I think he's to die for cute!!!!

Old 01-08-2013, 12:03 AM   #89
sprorchid
Jacqueline

Thanks Karen, that's very sweet of you to say.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #90
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
Ted has an attitude just like Ollie's ! Ted comes right over to me on the couch and growls his displeasure as soon as I start up with my IPad. I think he considers that all my time should be spent with him! Most of it is, of course right up to showers and bathroom time , but never enough for Mr Ted! Lol