Male marking - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Male marking
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #1
n05ina

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Male marking

I talked to a wonderful breeder yesterday! I am looking for a adult havanese to join my family sometime in March or in the springtime. The breeder told me that she will have a 3 year old male that she would be willing to give to a good home. She did tell me that he marks but only when the females are in heat. I have been told in the past that I should get a female because the males will mark. Is this true? She explained that they ONLY mark when females are in heat and that he will be neutered before I take him home. I also have a male fixed dog at home. I don't want the hav to be marking all over the house because of a dominance thing. So any suggestions? What should I do? The male she has available she said is very sweet, has a lot of personality and loves everyone! Will he not mark anymore after being fixed? Or will he still possibly mark because there's another male in the house? There is no female dogs that live here though so not sure if I may be worrying for nothing. She also told me that most havs are not 100% house-trained. She said that hers are afraid of going outside in heavy rains but they love the snow. She places puppy pads near the door when weather is too bad and they go directly on the pads. She said that the male she may have for me hasn't had any accidents in a very long time. Would love to get some feedback please!
n05ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
not sure about the marking thing as I have a female, but I do have a bit of a problem with the comment about "most havs are not 100% housetrained"!?? wth? If they are raised RIGHT, started with house training at the (ethical) breeders, and brought home to loving families who take the time and LEARN how to house train properly havs CAN and ARE 100% house trained!!! They CAN also be trained to use pee pads or an indoor potty option, but in my mind the are still 'house trained' and aren't peeing all over the house! Sorry. that comment just ruffled my feathers a bit...
Old 01-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #3
n05ina

I totally understand what you mean. I thought the same thing at first. But she did say that they will go outside and potty as long as its not monsoon like weather. She said otherwise they will potty on potty pads. She said her dogs don't go potty in the house unless its on potty pads. So I thought to myself well that means that they are house-trained. I have never had a small dog so I would hope that I could take him outside to potty all the time. And we do have a small cemented area in our backyard with a overhang so the dog that is afraid of harsh rain should be able to go potty outside with no problem. The breeder said the same thing. :-)
Old 01-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Cailleach

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I know many older male dogs that have been neutered and it did not stop them from marking. I think most honest vets will agree that not all dogs will stop it because they are fixed.

Deb
Cailleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #5
n05ina

That's what I was afraid of. :-( Do you think that if the breeder took him to another house that had another fixed male in it that it would be a good idea to see if he still marks or not?She made it very clear that he only marks when females are in heat. But we do have a fixed male that lives at our home too. So not sure if that may cause the hav to mark as well.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
siewhwee

Submit Photo: 19
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I think you might also have to keep an eye on your dog, because he might mark too, especially with a strange new dog in his house. We brought our Hav to a friend's house for a visit. He is neutered, but we were all surprised when our friend's dog (also neutered), started marking all over the house, the minute we walked in, while our Hav , did not.
siewhwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n05ina View Post
I talked to a wonderful breeder yesterday! I am looking for a adult havanese to join my family sometime in March or in the springtime. The breeder told me that she will have a 3 year old male that she would be willing to give to a good home. She did tell me that he marks but only when the females are in heat. I have been told in the past that I should get a female because the males will mark. Is this true? She explained that they ONLY mark when females are in heat and that he will be neutered before I take him home. I also have a male fixed dog at home. I don't want the hav to be marking all over the house because of a dominance thing. So any suggestions? What should I do? The male she has available she said is very sweet, has a lot of personality and loves everyone! Will he not mark anymore after being fixed? Or will he still possibly mark because there's another male in the house? There is no female dogs that live here though so not sure if I may be worrying for nothing. She also told me that most havs are not 100% house-trained. She said that hers are afraid of going outside in heavy rains but they love the snow. She places puppy pads near the door when weather is too bad and they go directly on the pads. She said that the male she may have for me hasn't had any accidents in a very long time. Would love to get some feedback please!
I can't say about the marking issue... my gut tells me that you will have to TRAIN this guy that marking in the house is not OK. I'd like to hear what some of the breeders on the forum have to say about this one.

OTOH, she is absolutely wrong that most Havs aren't 100% house trained. Maybe hers aren't, but MANY are.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
I can see that about Yorkies as they are notoriously hard to house train, or train at all for that matter, but a well bred well raised Havaese is a very bright toy dog and should train. The marking thing seems to be more hormonal so I am curious about this too.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #9
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
I think you'll be fine! If this 3 year old boy is what you want, you should adopt him! Don't let the marking thing stop you.

You have to treat every dog, no matter what gender or age, like they are a puppy whenever they come to a new environment. There are dogs that are raised from puppyhood in a home, and if they go to a friend's house or a grooming salon, they will go IN the building! Some dogs will not go in new environments, but some will due to new smells or the fact that "this isn't my home."

I got Louis when he was 2 years old. He was intact until I got him. I also have a neutered male in the house. Louis was a show dog and was only used to going in an ex-pen, and he was around intact females all the time. I'd say he was not housetrained at all when I got him. He did mark in my house for the first week, but that's becuase my husband wasn't as vigilant as I was to let him out all of the time. I went to puppy basics with him. The first week, he'd also pee over my other male dog's pee. The first few months were a lot of work, but now we are at a point where I have been letting him sleep on the bed with me. Before, he would be crated cause I couldn't trust him to hold it overnight. He can definitely hold it, but I wasn't sure if he would know to hold it until I took him out. I've had Louis for 10 months now. The first week was rocky. I thought I made a mistake. The first 2-3 months were hard (always being so watchful). By 6 months, he REALLY settled in, and I just kept up with the potty routine. Now by 10 months, he's good in the house. I take him to work with me and he will still go in the salon! But I can't hold that against him, to him, that's not his home and there are so many other dog smells, he will poop. He has marked once in the salon. I had an intact dog that sprayed on the floor, I thought I cleaned it well, but Louis marked over it. He does not indicate when he has to go, so I never know! I just take him out on a schedule. He's stayed in hotels with me and never messed in there. I even put out a puppy pad and he never used it - I don't think he even knows what it is. Some dogs need more of a schedule than others, it really depends on the dog you get. You just have to find out what works. If you don't want to put in a lot of effort into potty training, then make sure the dog you get is reliably potty trained. Just remember that marking and just peeing is different.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
n05ina

Thanks all for the advice and feedback! I have not met the breeder or the dog yet. The plan is to meet her at a dog show in grayslake at the end of this month. Her name is Hannah kolzow. Many of my breeder friends have talked highly of her and referred me to her. I also am emailing back and forth a breeder named Karen Hall. She is located in Wolcott, Indiana. Does anyone know about either of these breeders?