Dog killed by coyote - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Dog killed by coyote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Buzzys Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dog killed by coyote

Hi Everyone,
My friend's 15 year old cocker spaniel was killed by coyotes last night. She had him outside (he couldn't really walk), and she did her usual routine of walking over to the neighbor's house to pick up the other dog. She went in to the neighbors house for less than 10 minutes and the dog was gone. Less than 5 minutes later she heard a lot of coyote activity and realized that they probably took him. This is a good reminder not to leave your little guys unattended outside if you live in an area that has coyotes, bears, etc. My heart is breaking for her right now
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
That's so sad .Your friend must be devastated. My heart goes out to her and the family.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #3
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
I'm so sorry. Coyotes are my biggest fear around here!!!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 37 Times in 37 Posts
I had a scare last week in my little city back yard. A huge bird saw maddie and came circling down then it hung out for a couple of days. It was larger than the hawk's at my sisters. But it wasn't pretty enough to be an eagle. I'm happy the big bird is very vocal and lets me know its around.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
whimsy
Evelyn

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 20 Times in 18 Posts
How awful !l...We have them in my area too ..which is the main reason I have my Whimsy piddle pad trained. We never have to go outside at night or early morning. The only time we go out is during the day when the weather is nice to play in the backyard TOGETHER. She is never without me. Yes..I'm paranoid.
There have been several dogs in the burbs around me that have been killed or attacked with the owner nearby. And yes...they can jump fences.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
pjewel
Super Moderator

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 39 Times in 25 Posts
That is devastating. Thank God we don't have that worry here. My heart goes out to your friend.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
motherslittlehelper
Linda

Photo Submissions 22 Times in 21 Posts
How horrific for your friend.

We have huge birds that circle overhead, too, Suzi. There is a narrow strip of land 20-30 feet wide outside our yard along a drainage slough, where we walk the boys to go potty. Several different water birds live there, beavers, nutria, and some other water animals. On this grassy strip of land, about two months ago, we found what looked like the remains of a raccoon - the claws, fur, intestines, and some flesh were still there. I am assuming a coyote got him. Our boys always go out to potty on leash with one of us. Last night, around 1 a.m., Augie came and told me he had to go potty. If he has to pee, he will usually go in our back yard, near the house. If he has to poo, he will head out through the arbor to this grassy strip along the slough. He was really pulling on his leash to go out through the arbor. For some reason, I felt really uneasy going out there last night, and took him to the front yard, where he did do his business. Are coyotes brazen enough to go after a dog on leash held by a human? I always have my heavy maglite flashlight, but have my doubts that would be much of a deterrent to a coyote hell-bent on taking a small dog - especially since a raccoon seemed no match for one.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
lise

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 12 Posts
We too have bears and beavers and raccoons and birds. Ted never goes out alone except for our back deck which is elevated and blocked off at the steps. Because we have patio doors and a bay window I can see him while he is there. He never spends too long out there anyhow if I'm not there!
Old 01-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
oh my gosh, so sad!!

Ya, we have a little fenced in front yard for Tillie and she only uses it to go outside and potty, with me standing right there... when the weather is really nice she sun bathes out there with the cats, we are deep in a city though, but I sun bath right along side her! lol
Old 01-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
dodrop82

Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
That is so sad...We live on the bluffs overlooking town. A neighbor was telling me a couple weeks ago, that he had let his retriever out to potty...and she had run off to do her business. When he called her to come back in, she didn't come. He called more and when she still didn't come, he went looking...he found her chest deep in snow with coyotes movin' in on her. He was so thankful that he had gotten to her before it was too late! But it was definately a wakeup call for us, to be sure and supervise the girls when they're out pottying in the dark