Male marking - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
pjewel
Super Moderator

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 40 Times in 25 Posts
Male dogs are not the only ones to mark. A female can do it also. Milo, after I got Bailey, did mark for awhile. That was years ago, and before his neutering. Recently I was finding accidents in my house and it was driving me crazy. I would yell at Milo (and Bailey) when it got bad. Turned out, after having both boys in belly bands for over a week whenever they were in the house, that Milo was never the culprit. I was shocked because I was so sure it was him. Now, until I have concentrated time to watch his every move, Bailey wears a belly band in the house so we're both less crazed. It is, btw, almost always dry, but until it's 100%, it will remain this way.

In the end, I would agree with taking the dog if you want him and work with him to cure (if it still exists) the marking. Use a belly band in the house so you don't have to deal with the urine scents and damage.

If you're thinking of getting a puppy, click here
http://www.photoshow.com/watch/YK8AH4rw
pjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
lfung5
LINDA

Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
My boys are both fixed. They don't mark inside but they go crazy outside! Once in awhile if I take them to someone's house that has dog accidents, Scudder will try to mark. One firm correction and he won't try again.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #13
The Laughing Magpie

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Submissions 13 Times in 13 Posts
My Lhasa who is 16 was a stud dog he marked when I got him and was not house trained. If there is a female in heat close he needs to be watched even today, he also howls and is miserable. I had to train him not to mark in the house just like regular house training, you also must wash high on the walls while training. Just like Linda my guys even the girls mark like crazy outside, they do not in the house. I maintained a stud dog for years who never marked in the house even with females in heat. I would not count out a good tempered happy dog for marking, but you need to be willing to make a committment to training.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #14
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfung5 View Post
My boys are both fixed. They don't mark inside but they go crazy outside! Once in awhile if I take them to someone's house that has dog accidents, Scudder will try to mark. One firm correction and he won't try again.
I watch Kodi like a hawk if we're in someone else's house where I know there's a dog that has accidents. It's surprising how many people don't admit it. But if I see Kodi doing a lot of sniffing around in an area, it's back on leash until we leave that person's house! I don't want him to get the idea that that is OK EVER.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
n05ina

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking of asking the breeder if she has ever had the male in a home with another male that is fixed. Just to see if he will try and mark there to try and become alpha. The breeder I have been speaking with said that some breeds are more known to mark because they are more dominant breeds. I also am emailing back and forth with two other breeders that are located farther away from me. Each has a female that they are looking to home in June or July. They say that both of their females are house-trained and have the temperments that I am looking for. Though they don't seem to be as reputable as the breeder that is closer to me and has a 3 year old male. It's definitely tough thinking of the right questions to ask but from what I have read, heard and seen so far the IL breeder is much more responsible.
n05ina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
DiegoCF_Boston

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Diego isn't fixed (haven't had the money for it), and he'll be 2 on the 15th

We just bought a house last February and when we moved in, Diego pooped about two times total inside the house since we've moved in...which was really our fault because instead of having someone watch them, we kept them at the new house while we were setting up and running errands and the like.

He's NEVER marked inside the house before. Even when he was a teeny pup, he's never marked inside the house. I honestly don't even remember him trying to lift his leg OR crouch down to attempt marking. While we walk him through the nature preserves or even down the street though, that's a completely different topic! He'll lift his leg for anything, whether stuff needs to be expelled or not!
DiegoCF_Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by n05ina View Post
I was thinking of asking the breeder if she has ever had the male in a home with another male that is fixed. Just to see if he will try and mark there to try and become alpha. The breeder I have been speaking with said that some breeds are more known to mark because they are more dominant breeds. I also am emailing back and forth with two other breeders that are located farther away from me. Each has a female that they are looking to home in June or July. They say that both of their females are house-trained and have the temperments that I am looking for. Though they don't seem to be as reputable as the breeder that is closer to me and has a 3 year old male. It's definitely tough thinking of the right questions to ask but from what I have read, heard and seen so far the IL breeder is much more responsible.
Marking has nothing to do with dominance. It is the way dogs communicate with each other. "Postcards", if you will. Neutered males and females mark too. Kodi is a very mellow guy will happily mark where another dog has marked outdoors. He knows that marking is not allowed indoors, but I also try to keep him out of situations where I know that other dogs have marked indoors.

In Europe, very, very few male dogs are neutered, and this just isn't a problem. Intact males are taught from the beginning that marking in the house is not acceptable, just like pottying in the house is not acceptable. It's not that they don't mark... walking with my cousin's intact Schnauzer in Germany takes FOREVER, because she allows him to stop and mark repeatedly outdoors (her choice... this can be trained too) but he would never EVER think of marking in the house.

I agree with the people who have said, get the dog that is the best fit for you and your family. Just know that whichever one you get, even those girls that are supposedly completely house trained, there will be an adjustment period. There may be accidents, and you will PROBABLY have to do at least a certain amount of house training.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #18
Tom King

Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
We have three intact males, and one neutered male, Keeper, who was a stud dog when he was younger. The intact males will mark when there is a girl in heat, or coming into heat. At the first signs of one coming in heat-the other girls are actually the first indicator- the boys have to stay in the dog room until it's completely over with.

If the other dog in the house has not marked, or other dogs have not had "accidents" anywhere, there will be nothing for him to mark on top of.

Our first stud dog, will be 16 very soon, went to live with another family when he was 10 and had been neutered several years before. He has never had an accident in their house. They have another female dog.

I don't know how long it takes for the hormones to leave the system. Keeper will mark when the other boys mark.

When there are no females with any signs of heat, the boys are fine in the house.

These dogs are very easy to train for someone who can pay attention. Most of ours have never had an "accident" in the house. Be very dilligent the first few weeks, and you should have no problems later.
Tom King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
lfung5
LINDA

Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
I watch Kodi like a hawk if we're in someone else's house where I know there's a dog that has accidents. It's surprising how many people don't admit it. But if I see Kodi doing a lot of sniffing around in an area, it's back on leash until we leave that person's house! I don't want him to get the idea that that is OK EVER.
Yes! I am like the police when it comes to marking I watch him like a hawk. If he is going to try it will be in the first 5 minutes. So I literally follow him around for 5 minutes! Then if I am unsure, I will put his bad boy pants on. They are always dry when i take them off though.

My dog sitter takes them to her house once in awhile. I tell her repeatedly to watch him and correct him and he will never try again. She doesn't listen to me and he has a field day at her house! She say, Scudder peed through his belly band again.....ugh.

My sister has a beautiful home. My guys are their pretty often. Years ago when she first moved in, Fred tried to mark her custom curtains! I caught him before he did it and my guys have never tried to mark in her house since! They know which houses are fair game. These guys are not dumb!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #20
tokipoke

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
The first day I had Louis, he marked in the house. It was my fault because I should have been more proactive and walked him before bed. I took him to the backyard and he didn't do anything. And then he peed/marked in the house. He also tried to mount my neutered male poodle. My poodle is 27" and around 65lbs. Of course Louis waited till my poodle was laying down. I told Louis a firm NO and he never tried humping him again. Louis also got possessive over toys and food, but that soon settled down. He was testing the boundaries of the pack to see where he fit in. This is all normal. You need to establish a good relationship and teach what the boundaries are - this goes for both new and resident dogs. I know someone who recently got a neutered male in the home, and they already have another neutered male. The resident male is obsessed with trying to hump the new male and licking the new dog's genitals. She says that's ALL he does during the day when he isn't sleeping. Even this type of thing can be trained out of them - but overall, two neutered males will get along just fine. Once they know the routine in YOUR home, they will not mark. However, new places are free game. But I want to point out that Louis has never marked in my parent's home, in-law's home, or hotels.