Dog killed by coyote - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
sandypaws
Senior Member
 
sandypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,334
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!
__________________

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,488
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!
Ha! Hadn't thought about that!
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Caroline
Senior Member
 
Caroline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 126
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
wynne
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 352
Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
how sad. My mom has coyotes where she lives and I never,despite my mom always saying she'll be fine, let maya off the leash when I am at her house.
wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA
 
krandall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 14,488
Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Our neighbors had a HUGE GSD for many years, and as long as he was alive (even though he was a TOTAL pussy cat) the coyotes stayed away. It didn't take long after he died before they sarted coming closer. The neighbor's other dogs, Springer Spaniels, seem to be no deterrent at all.
__________________
Karen & Kodi
(Starborn Kodak Moment BN, PCD, NA, NAJ, CDX-C, RE, RL1X3, RL2X3, RL3X2, ARCHMX)




krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Laurief
Senior Member
 
Laurief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 9,770
Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Ronit, was this close to you??? Make sure you watch those precious boys outside!
__________________
Lily, Lexi ,Logan, & Laila's Mom
www.HillsboroughHavanese.com
(Gigi, Lucas, Dugan, Madeline,Reo,Alvin, Lucky, Lukey, Punch, Colby & Ben-(we will always Love you!!)
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
nkl811
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
nkl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
TilliesMom
Senior Member
 
TilliesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,278
Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
wow, so scary!!! do what ever you have to to keep yourself and your pups safe!!
__________________
Tammy and Tillie
TilliesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #29
My2Havs
Member
 
My2Havs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sacramento, CA area
Posts: 87
Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
About 5-6 years ago I used to run into loose dogs while walking my two and knew I needed something just in case. I found this spray to repel dogs and fortunately never had to use it but I felt better having it. I believe the one I had was the Guard Dog brand but here's some others I found on Amazon. Hope this helps!

Amazon.com: 4 oz. Ounce GUARD DOG Pepper Spray...Amazon.com: 4 oz. Ounce GUARD DOG Pepper Spray... Amazon.com: Mace Brand Muzzle Dog Repellent...Amazon.com: Mace Brand Muzzle Dog Repellent... Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports...Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports...
Monica, Dooley & Roxie
My2Havs is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog killed by coyote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
sandypaws
Senior Member
 
sandypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,334
Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Dog killed by coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.



These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
Wow, you've had some pretty close calls. I would be very nervous in those situations, especially when the coyotes are so brazen as to follow you and hang around your fenced-in yard. I've used the air horn a couple of times in the past 7 years and my dogs, although aware of it, didn't freak out. I realize, though, that not all dogs react the same. Stay vigilant and I hope you never have another close encounter. As you said, it's pretty bad when you can't enjoy a daytime walk with your "kids".
__________________

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41 AM.


A vBSkinworks Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.