Dog killed by coyote - Page 3 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #21
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandypaws View Post
Good point, Karen, but as Linda mentioned, I also switched to the Martingale collar as I had Bailey slip out of his collar when we were in Holliston and he was frightened by a boy riding toward us on a bicycle.
At this point I have no worries with Tyler, as he doesn't hear!
Ha! Hadn't thought about that!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
Caroline

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 PM   #24
wynne

Submit Photo: 10
Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
how sad. My mom has coyotes where she lives and I never,despite my mom always saying she'll be fine, let maya off the leash when I am at her house.
wynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 PM   #25
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that- how terrible. I don't have a problem with them here, but used to live on the border of a National Park, and they were all over. I had big dogs then, and they never came close to the house. But we used to hear them yipping at night.... chilling sound.
Our neighbors had a HUGE GSD for many years, and as long as he was alive (even though he was a TOTAL pussy cat) the coyotes stayed away. It didn't take long after he died before they sarted coming closer. The neighbor's other dogs, Springer Spaniels, seem to be no deterrent at all.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #26
Laurief

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 28 Times in 20 Posts
Ronit, was this close to you??? Make sure you watch those precious boys outside!
Laurief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 AM   #27
nkl811

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
nkl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #28
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
wow, so scary!!! do what ever you have to to keep yourself and your pups safe!!
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #29
My2Havs

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post
I live in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, and have had several recent close calls with coyotes.
Just a few days ago, I had my 2 dogs out for their morning walk at about 8AM, my 8 month old Hav puppy and 2 year old Shi Poo. I turned around and saw a coyote running down the street towards us, probably 50 yards away. I realized there was another coyote following him. I knew we were in trouble, so I quickly ran the dogs to the front door of a neighbor, while luckily the coyotes made a turn and crossed the street cutting through another neighbor's back yard.

Just a week prior to this, I let the dogs out in our fenced in yard, at lunch time. I quickly grabbed a jacket and followed them. Both dogs were at the back fence barking like crazy. I ran out there, only to find a coyote on the other side of the fence. I started yelling and it just stayed there. I grabbed both pups and sprinted in, and the coyote just stood and watched me.

These coyotes are not afraid of people unfortunately. I am thankful for some ideas presented here. An airhorn would definitely come in handy. Might scare my dogs like crazy, but could save their lives. It is pretty sad I am afraid to take my dogs out for walks in the middle of the day.
About 5-6 years ago I used to run into loose dogs while walking my two and knew I needed something just in case. I found this spray to repel dogs and fortunately never had to use it but I felt better having it. I believe the one I had was the Guard Dog brand but here's some others I found on Amazon. Hope this helps!

Amazon.com: 4 oz. Ounce GUARD DOG Pepper Spray...Amazon.com: 4 oz. Ounce GUARD DOG Pepper Spray... Amazon.com: Mace Brand Muzzle Dog Repellent...Amazon.com: Mace Brand Muzzle Dog Repellent... Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports...Amazon.com: Halt! Dog Repellent 1.5 oz: Sports...
Monica, Dooley & Roxie
My2Havs is offline   Reply With Quote
Dog killed by coyote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #30
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
Dog killed by coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkl811 View Post

Wow, you've had some pretty close calls. I would be very nervous in those situations, especially when the coyotes are so brazen as to follow you and hang around your fenced-in yard. I've used the air horn a couple of times in the past 7 years and my dogs, although aware of it, didn't freak out. I realize, though, that not all dogs react the same. Stay vigilant and I hope you never have another close encounter. As you said, it's pretty bad when you can't enjoy a daytime walk with your "kids".

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote