Is this a short haired Havanese? - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > BREEDER INFORMATION > Ask A Breeder

Ask A Breeder Have questions about a breeder or what a breeder should do? Questions about what to look for in a breeder? This is a great area to ask.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #31
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
Here is the steps I went threw . The vet found that Maddies hair follicles were compromised and pulled out easy. I went threw the whole deal with SBA scare and was told she was way to young to start having systems. She tested for several things wanting to wait on a food allergy. The difference between the two is that Maddie was itching and had a very flaky skin. I think what happened to maddie was a reaction to flea treatments and mite treatments.
It doesn't hurt to get him into someone . They never drew blood just took a scraping of her skin and also looked at her hair under a scope. After a couple visits and some anti itch medication she finally cleared up right before I had an appointment with a dermatologist.
PS I edited this because I wrote it to fast before going to work yesterday.

Last edited by Suzi; 01-10-2013 at 11:15 AM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #32
TilliesMom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krandall View Post
But Tammy, it's not normal for him to have LESS hair now than in his earlier photos.
for some reason I am unable to see any pics other than the very first ones... so disregard all of my comments!!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:59 AM   #33
Tuss

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 8 Times in 8 Posts
No, not a short haired havanese. Could be a normal thing or could mean she is sick (lots of things can cause hair to fall out eg. mange, stress, skin infections, nutrition deficit, allergy, ... Vet is the best person to ask.

Tuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:16 AM   #34
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
I agree. Please take him to the vet. He does not look healthy. I hope everything turns out ok. Please keep us posted! xoxo
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #35
Naiti

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Mr. Darcy is loosing his hair very much when I pat or comb him. His coat not like other havanese we know. His hair is everywhere in the house even in the food and cloths
I took him to the vet but they do not find anything. They do not know why he is loosing his hair. They do lots of test but found nothing.
But he is totally healthy. He was ill with his tummy for almoust 2,5 years than finally one vet we have visited find out what his problem was.
Sometimes I am worried about him because his hair not growing so quickly than the others.
But his hair is shiny and very soft.
He is perfect just the way he is even his hair is everywhere.
Naiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #36
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiti View Post
My Mr. Darcy is loosing his hair very much when I pat or comb him. His coat not like other havanese we know. His hair is everywhere in the house even in the food and cloths
I took him to the vet but they do not find anything. They do not know why he is loosing his hair. They do lots of test but found nothing.
But he is totally healthy. He was ill with his tummy for almoust 2,5 years than finally one vet we have visited find out what his problem was.
Sometimes I am worried about him because his hair not growing so quickly than the others.
But his hair is shiny and very soft.
He is perfect just the way he is even his hair is everywhere.
Did Mr. Darcy come from a good breeder? Or do you think he could be from a puppy mill or back yard breeder? The reason I ask is that its possible that he is completely healthy, but just not well bred, and therefore has a sub-standard coat. (which makes him not a bit less loveable!!!)

If he came from a quality breeder, have you talked to the breeder about his coat? A good breeder will want to know, as it might affect her breeding choices in the future. She might also have some ideas in terms of feeding or grooming that would help improve the quality of his coat if she has seen this before in other puppies she has bred.

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #37
roxie2519

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Does he even look havanese?
roxie2519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #38
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 73 Times in 73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie2519 View Post
Does he even look havanese?
Yes, he certainly looks Havanese shape! Where did you get him? Did he come from a good breeder? If so, you should be asking the breeder about his coat. If he came from a pet store (and therefore is a puppy mill dog) or from a back yard breeder, he COULD have some sort of illness, and need to see the vet, or he COULD be healthy, but just be poorly bred and have a bad coat.

I wouldn't doubt that he's a Havanese, but I'd do things in this order:

1. Take him to the vet to rule out illness
2. Talk to the breeder if possible
3. Talk to a good canine nutritionist, to make sure he's on the healthiest diet possible

If he's ill in some way, you need to make a decision whether you want to (and can afford to) treat it. If not, you need to see about returning him. If you can afford to treat him, I will assume you want to keep him anyway. If he comes from a good breeder, they still might be willing to help you. If he comes from a pet store, you might be able to force their hand a bit, by going after them for selling you an ill puppy. Maybe they will give you a partial refund to help toward medical expenses. If he came from a BYB... good luck.

If you find that he's healthy, but just has a funky coat, enjoy him anyway! He's a cute little guy, and I bet he's sweet too! You saw some photos of Suzi's dog, Maddie. She went through a stage of looking pretty moth eaten, and she's adorable now, as a grown-up. She doesn't have a gorgeous "show coat", but she's cute just the way she is, and requires less grooming than a lot of the ones with a ton of coat.

We've seen other puppies on the forum like Maddie too... whose coat was pretty thin as a puppy, but looked much better as adults. It could be that your little guy is like them!

Last edited by krandall; 01-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.
krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #39
Sheri

Submit Photo: 11
Photo Submissions 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good post, Karen.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #40
andra

Photo Submissions 2 Times in 2 Posts
Well, he is very cute How is he behaving--have you noticed any changes in behaviors, energy, appetite?

You have gotten very good advice here from seasoned people--I just wanted to chime in to say that I think he is adorable.
andra is offline   Reply With Quote