your thoughts on home cooked diet vs. commerical dog food - Page 4 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Alternative and Home Cooked Diets

Alternative and Home Cooked Diets A forum for people making their own dog food, using alternative methods or different discussions improving the nutrition of your dog.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #31
Louella

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been feeding Teddi, almost 4 months, cooked rice and boiled hamburger. I rinse the mixture when it is finished cooking to get rid of the excess fat from the meat. Teddi gobbles it up. Teddi was originally on this diet because she had diaherra. I talked to her vet and he said his dog food is more balanced. I would like to continue with the rice and hamburger with veggies but what happens when you travel, or when you have to kennel your dog? That might be a problem. What do you think?
Louella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:07 PM   #32
davetgabby
Dave T

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louella View Post
I have been feeding Teddi, almost 4 months, cooked rice and boiled hamburger. I rinse the mixture when it is finished cooking to get rid of the excess fat from the meat. Teddi gobbles it up. Teddi was originally on this diet because she had diaherra. I talked to her vet and he said his dog food is more balanced. I would like to continue with the rice and hamburger with veggies but what happens when you travel, or when you have to kennel your dog? That might be a problem. What do you think?
that would be fine short term. But it probably is not balanced. That's why ,if you are going to home cook on a regular basis I recommend a nutritionist.
davetgabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #33
1stladysoul
Skye's Mom

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently feeding Skye the Grandma Lucy's Artisan Pre-Mix dog food prepared with lightly browned ground chuck. After a bad experience using Blue Buffalo Puppy Food, I wanted to prepare her food and this was suggested to me by a dog food enthusiast. Has anyone else tried a pre-mix food prepared with regular cooked meat?

Amazon.com: Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain-Free...Amazon.com: Grandma Lucy's Artisan Grain-Free...
Old 06-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #34
Miss Paige

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just booked a consult with Sabine. I only feed home cooked for a month then cycle them to raw. I know with Sabine's help they can stay on home cooked for a longer time frame.
Ms Tula (for as long as she needs)
Miss Paige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #35
Nancy Collins

I just recently started homecooking for my 3 again. This book is by far the easiest homecooked diet I have found. The only supplements needed based on this diet are digestive enzymes, calcium and cod liver oil. I follow Susan Thixton's reviews of dog foods and recently bought her 2013 approved list....then decided to try cooking for them again. Based on this book the key to complete nutrition is rotating through ALL the recipes. Dinner PAWsible: A cookbook for healthy,...Dinner PAWsible: A cookbook for healthy,...
Old 06-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Nancy Collins

a little about the author...."Dinner PAWsible is a collection of 22 cat food recipes, 29 dog food recipes and two healthy treats based on the National Research Council requirements for dogs and cats; the same organization that commercial pet food nutritional foundations are based on. Dinner PAWsible is not only veterinarian recommended, it was co-authored by a veterinarian certified in food therapy! Dr. Cathy Alinovi DVM is trained in a variety of alternative and holistic methods including veterinary food therapy; her practice is located in central Indiana. Nutrition is the heart of every exam, curing over 80% of all problems. Co-author Susan Thixton is a leading pet food safety advocate whose website, TruthaboutPetFood.com helps to provide pet food education to a world of pet parents."
Old 06-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #37
davetgabby
Dave T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Paige View Post
I just booked a consult with Sabine. I only feed home cooked for a month then cycle them to raw. I know with Sabine's help they can stay on home cooked for a longer time frame.
that's the way to go , a personalized plan. Hats off Pat.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 AM   #38
Karen Collins

Just my two cents......I have homecooked for my dogs off and on over the years. I usually have to stop for one reason or another. I LOVE feeding my dogs real food. And I'm not trying to take away from anyone's business, but.......I have successfully raised 2 litters by weaning them to my home cooked food and they were and are fat, healthy and happy. With that said, it's not really rocket science. If you are qualified to cook for your self and your own family, you are qualified to cook for beloved pooch. I promise!! There are only a few foods that you shouldn't feed to your dog, which you can find on a google search. Just use common sense and good judgment. Feed them what you are eating. I assure you they will thrive. I'm only posting this thread to bring some balance to the consensus of using a pricey consultant. If you can afford it and it gives you more confidence, go right ahead and hire a consultant. But for those that can't afford to pay for advice, I promise you won't hurt your dog if you just feed him what you are eating. Unless you're eating at Mickey D's 3 times a day, in which case you may die before your pet. Sorry, that was inappropriate humor.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #39
davetgabby
Dave T

have to disagree with you Karen , . Sabine says people in general do a fair job at it but far from ideal.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #40
Karen Collins

I would have been disappointed if you hadn't disagreed Dave.

Tags
dog food, feeding, home cooked, homecooked, meals