De-matting comb? - Page 2 - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > Grooming

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
Missy

Submit Photo: 27
Photo Submissions 46 Times in 33 Posts
I love this comb for really bad knots... hard to explain how it works... you just have to work a knot with it--it's really heavy and it just sort of works through the knot...

it's the one at the very bottom of the page-- the #011 NTS Staggered Tooth Buttercomb

http://www.chrissystems.com/grooming...cat-combs.aspx
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
atsilvers27

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
Dematters can also slice open an area that is small, like a tail or even a leg on a small dog. Usually by the time a dematter is needed the dog is a shave down candidate. Better to either.tease out the tangle or shave it out.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Pixiesmom

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 10 Times in 10 Posts
I have the staggered tooth comb. It's sooo heavy!! I never use it, but I have to admit I'm sure I'm not doing it right.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
atsilvers27

Photo Submissions 11 Times in 11 Posts
The staggered comb is best for using on dogs with thick undercoat and topcoat, like long haired huskie, German shepherds, malamutes, Pomeranians, etc. It is meant to pull out the undercoat on double coated shedding dogs.
atsilvers27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
rokipiki

Submit Photo: 2
Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy View Post
I love this comb for really bad knots... hard to explain how it works... you just have to work a knot with it--it's really heavy and it just sort of works through the knot...

it's the one at the very bottom of the page-- the #011 NTS Staggered Tooth Buttercomb

http://www.chrissystems.com/grooming...cat-combs.aspx
Thanks Missy! I will put this tool on my list. I bought CC gold series pin brush and I love it! Every pin! It is so much better than CC regular brush. I paid 50$for it two months ago and nowI need to save some money

"All angels were busy, so they sent me a havanese"
rokipiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #16
marlowe'sgirl

Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsilvers27 View Post
Dematters can also slice open an area that is small, like a tail or even a leg on a small dog. Better to either.tease out the tangle or shave it out.
I had no idea that was possible. Usually the matts I use it on are fairly far away from the skin so it's just a way to help separate it out a bit if the comb is taking too long. If it's close, to the skin I shave it. If it's far and too dense to work out, I cut it with blunt end scissors. I guess I go with comb, then dematter, then blunt end scissors, then shave in order of matt difficulty. The dematter is just a briefly until I can get it to tease-able with a comb.
marlowe'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #17
Sparkle

Photo Submissions 3 Times in 3 Posts
We're just at the beginning stages of blowing coat w/Kallie. I've been able to work out the majority of her mats w/buttercome & cornstarch. Others that you can't see I've just cut out. I was just asking for the months of matting that we'll be facing. I'm steering clear of the "slicer".
Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM   #18
krandall
Metrowest, MA

Submit Photo: 5
Photo Submissions 68 Times in 68 Posts
I think it really depends on the dog. The worst of Kodi's blowing coat was about 2 months, between 10-12 months. Then he blew again (but not as bad) between 18-20 months, and I don't remember the age, but there was a VERY minor 3rd time where I noticed he was building up mats behind his ears if I didn't pay attention.

But even at it's worst, I was able to manage his coat by fully combing him out twice a day. The most important thing for me was making sure he stayed VERY clean (went down to baths every 4 days at its worst) and made suer he was COMPLETELY knot-free when he went to bed. If he slept on a small knot, he'd wake up with a large mat. So our second comb out was always last thing before bed!

The WORST grooming session we had was after I left him for 10 days (at the beginning of blowing coat) with a friend who is a great dog person, but doesn't know coated breeds. I came home to a mess that took me two hours to comb out, but he was mat-free at the end. I know of other people who put in 2 hours a couple of time a day and STILL find mats in between. Most of those opt for a puppy cut during coat-blowing, and grow them back out again after, if they want a long coat!

krandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #19
rdanielle
Renee

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
Ughh I have the CC Staggered comb and I dematted Starla when she was blowing coat and it took forever to get all her chest hair to come back in. I think a slicker like the Les Pooches Mat Zapper is less damaging than that comb.

www.teodorohavanese.com
rdanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Mat Zapper?
Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
Rosie Tomato

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mat Zapper?

This is a duplicate post. I'm sorry if you are reading it twice. I wanted to repost here as this is a more current discussion...

Hi, We are desperate for some grooming success!
What's the technique with the mat zapper?
Rosie Tomato really hates grooming, but just grows mats seemingly within seconds of being detangled. She'll be 2 on Monday so I don't think it's more blowing coat.
I have been using a dematting tool (the rake goes to the side rather than forwards) since she was a few months. Could using this have done damage to her coat and cause more matting? Additionally, she is a working dog and has to wear her harness all day at work. I think this causes more knots under her arms too. Her coat is about 2" long except the tail.
I have tried Ice on Ice. The popular CC buttercomb does not get far through her coat. I was thinking I need a better pin brush and am ordering the CC 20mm Gold. It also looks like a wood pin brush might be helpful. Now I'm wondering about the Mat Zapper. This is becoming a pricey proposition!
Thanks so much for your help!
Debbie
Rosie Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote