Moving with a Hav - Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums

Go Back   Havanese Forum : Havanese Forums > Havanese Discussions > General Discussion

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Moving with a Hav
Old 01-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
mcc.christina

Submit Photo: 0
Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving with a Hav

Eloise and I are moving at the beginning of February! I got a new job and am very excited about the move. This will be my first time moving with a dog. Any suggestions or advice?!

We are moving into a smaller place so I am hoping to only use one Ugodog instead of two. She will have a lot more green space to explore!

Below is a recent picture of Eloise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0431.jpg (1.20 MB, 6 views)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
TilliesMom

Photo Submissions 35 Times in 35 Posts
I don't have any moving advice, but CONGRATULATIONS on the new job!!
and I adore that pic of Eloise!!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #3
gertchie

Submit Photo: 1
Photo Submissions 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't have any advice either but she sure is a cutie!!! Good luck on your new adventure
gertchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #4
Zarika

Submit Photo: 4
Photo Nominations 1 Time in 1 Post
I have never moved with my Hav, but I moved with my previous dog. She was older when we moved (11) so I'm not sure how much of it relates to that but expect some anxiety that will go away with time.

When we first moved she was very stressed when I left her alone in our new apartment. She adjusted after about two weeks, but those two weeks were rough on her and me.

Good luck and congrats on your new job!
Zarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #5
lfung5
LINDA

Submit Photo: 3
Photo Submissions 31 Times in 28 Posts
That is exciting! It will be nice to have a bigger yard!!

I moved with my 3 and it went seamlessly. I didn't do anything special besides show them where the doggy door and potty area was. I just let them run around and explore. It is amazing how fast they figure out where everything is!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #6
Pipersmom
Julie

Photo Submissions 7 Times in 7 Posts
Eloise is adorable!!!
We moved from an apartment to a house about a year ago and I was surprised at how easily Piper adapted. The only issue I had was a few weeks of pooping by the basement door leading to the backyard because I think she was confused that the basement was part of the house. She also had some fear of the backyard at night where it was not well lit-that was solved with additional lights.
I think she was a little nervous the first time she was left alone in the new house but it really was MUCH easier than I anticipated.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet. ~Edith Wharton
Pipersmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #7
Buzzys Mom

Photo Submissions 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have moved with Buzzy 4 times now! He has always done fine. When we moved from my apt. to my condo, I took him there before we moved in. It went well and never had any problems. When we moved to the temporary housing, he hated it because there was a beagle that lived below us that would howl all day... Buzzy was very nervous throughout our time there. When we moved in to our house now, he pooped when we first brought him home (and he has NEVER pooped indoors since I have had him), but he settled in quickly. We have a fenced in backyard which is nice, but we moved from 600 square feet to 3000 sq feet so he was overwhelmed at first. I think she will be fine- it may take a week or 2 to get her back in to the routine though. Good luck!
Buzzys Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #8
Suzi

Submit Photo: 14
Photo Submissions 34 Times in 34 Posts
I've moved four times. Depending on where your moving the only thing I wish I had done different was my last move. The 4 plex I moved into has allowed dogs for years. The apartment is very old and I wish I had bombed it for fleas before I moved in. I never even thought about doing that. So if there was a dog living there before you I would bomb your new place and move in a day later. Other wise I had my sister watch the sisters while we were moving so they wouldn't be in the way or get hurt, lost whatever. They adapted to every move. They did have a couple days where they weren't as interested in their food.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
gelbergirl
Henry's Humon Kordelia

Photo Submissions 9 Times in 9 Posts
Eloise is a cutie. Very very cute.

I would make sure you have a crate set up for her just for a while in the new place, just so she has a place to go with new sounds, and all that, until she gets used to the place.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
sandypaws

Submit Photo: 6
Photo Submissions 15 Times in 15 Posts
We moved 7 years ago with two Havs, Bailey who was 9 years old and Tyler who was 8. We brought them to see and smell the new house as it was being built and I walked them in the area too. On the day we moved, I had both of them on leashes as the movers went in and out and about their business. All of that must have helped because both of them adjusted immediately without any issues at all and they were older and had been in one house since we got them at 10 weeks old. I was truly amazed as I hadn't expected that. Good luck on your move and new job. I'm sure all will go well and, I agree, Eloise is a cutie.

Mary and Tyler (miss you, Bailey - 1996-2011)
sandypaws is offline   Reply With Quote